• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Thunderbolt English Dub Trailer Reveals Main Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Too much JYB. He has so little range that I can't enjoy his work anymore. Images of other characters he voiced keep coming up in my mind and I can't focus on the actual show I'm watching.

On another note, I am glad Gundam is dubbing their own shows. This equates to much faster dub releases rather than the standard licensing procedure.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Too much JYB. He has so little range that I can't enjoy his work anymore. Images of other characters he voiced keep coming up in my mind and I can't focus on the actual show I'm watching.

On another note, I am glad Gundam is dubbing their own shows. This equates to much faster dub releases rather than the standard licensing procedure.

Sunrise has handled the dubs of some of their own shows for well over a decade [in tandem with BEI when they were still existant (for instance, First Gundam, Zeta Gundam, Overman King Gainer, The Big O 2 to name a few)]. The problem was that streaming, instantaneous as it is now, was the norm. That's the reason why the releases seem quick. But yea, Sunrise isn't new to the English dub market at all.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Why are they import releases? Aniplex does the same thing. I don't understand this, it just hikes the price up.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Why are they import releases? Aniplex does the same thing. I don't understand this, it just hikes the price up.

Long story short, because anime is and has always been a niche and the companies in question are Japanese. We all know how they do their releases over there. Why spend more money on authoring (with more episodes per disc) when we can't put it out as cheaply as we do at home. It's a give or take situation. You get a simu-dub with the time chopped in half (just throwing a number out there).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Another Gundam dubbed already? Dang, they're not messing around are they?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Are you serious? =l
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I take it you haven't seen Eureka Seven
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Way too short, but this was an awesome short burst, with mature characters, and a sad story.

---

The English dub has good voice actors (Johnny Youg), but voices that do not match the main two heroes. It throws off their character appearances (not in a good way).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The two male leads sounded great in the PV trailer now I might just be inclined to buy this but if I do decide to buy then I'll just settle for the standard edition. Smile
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Range without acting isn't range. It's just playing voices. JYB is a damn good voice actor. One of the best in the world. Full of charisma, full of acting skill. What next? Do you get perturbed when you watch an anime with Norio Wakamoto? The man has no range, but he's still an amazing actor.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
I take it you haven't seen Eureka Seven

His range is crazy in Eureka Seven. It sounds so different from most of hhis other roles, and he hasn't really playe a younger kid in awhile.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
E7 = Yokai Watch = Doraemon.

I think Bosch is pretty good when gloomy (quiet Daryl) so it should be fine? (least he's not Io...)

ENJOY THUNDERBOLT! It's awesome
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I should mention this, anyone else notice that Johnny was cast twice, in a row, as a Gundam lead? He was also cast as Orga in the IBO dub.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I feel like I should mention this, anyone else notice that Johnny was cast twice, in a row, as a Gundam lead? He was also cast as Orga in the IBO dub.
Aff, I've noticed that, but I've enjoyed his work in other shows (his work on Trigun made it one of my favorite series, so it's not a big deal for me.)
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Heck, Steve Staley's been the lead in 3 different Gundam productions, if not exactly in a row like Bosch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2