• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reporter: Warner Considers Fast & Furious' Justin Lin to Direct Live-Action Akira

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can see why, the bike scene would probably be a really important part of the film.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Less costly? Really? I mean, yeah, anime to live adaptations from JP to NA haven't done well at all with Hollywood but seriously, don't cost cut if you're going to put out a not-so-worthwhile work at the same time. The price tag shouldn't be the ONLY thing WB is putting at the TOP of their list of things to do.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Less costly? Really? I mean, yeah, anime to live adaptations from JP to NA haven't done well at all with Hollywood but seriously, don't cost cut if you're going to put out a not-so-worthwhile work at the same time. The price tag shouldn't be the ONLY thing WB is putting at the TOP of their list of things to do.

I think it's admirable that you think big-business executives have other priorities. If this was Syncopy or Bad Robot I would say you had something there, but we're talking about Warner Bros., a Time Warner company.
srlracing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You don't go after George Miller or Justin Lin if you are looking to make a cheap action film. But either would be epic directors for Akira. Hopefully Justin Lin says yes and the project can move forward.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Sobe wrote:

I think it's admirable that you think big-business executives have other priorities. If this was Syncopy or Bad Robot I would say you had something there, but we're talking about Warner Bros., a Time Warner company.

If the audience doesn't love it I would think that goes hand in hand with the dollar signs. Clearly Alice's sequel didn't do so well with all of the money that went into it. The budget was most likely green lit because of how well the first one did, ironically. WB should and can clearly see that.

I'm pretty sure diehard fans hate how the films stray very far from the original source (pick any recent modern adaptation that were books or comics/manga before films) but I and the rest of the viewers couldn't care less. If I don't like it, that really has nothing to do if it was kept in line with the original source. I'd rather have Alice in Wonderland from Tim Burton than Mary Poppins from P.L. Travers.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

If the audience doesn't love it I would think that goes hand in hand with the dollar signs. Clearly Alice's sequel didn't do so well with all of the money that went into it. The budget was most likely green lit because of how well the first one did, ironically. WB should and can clearly see that.

Correct, but the thing is they are humans, as such, can't make the correct choice 100% of the time. The producers clearly didn't think that the movie would be able to make the money back that it would have originally cost. And as your post implies, producers base their choices on the past, but some executives take less risks than others. If Star Trek Beyond does well, I'm sure they'd increase Justin Lin's budget (assuming he gets the seat). And if George Miller accepted the offer, you'd be damn sure they'd give a good budget.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
what is this the fourth or fifth director change? WB seriously that dead horse ain't getting deader with each hit your just making a mess and spraying yourself with rotten horse bits
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
If we got another Akira movie, I would prefer either a sequel that continues on from where the first film left off (adapting the rest of the manga), or a companion film that explains and expands upon some of the events from that film. I don't think it needs to be remade, regardless of whether the cast and crew are Japanese or American. The original film is great the way it is.

I also think it's easier to stomach the body horror elements in traditional animation. I used to have an iron stomach when it came to gore, but for whatever reason, special effect and CGI gore has started to make me a little sick whenever I see it. I usually don't have that issue (as much) with 2D bloodshed.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
Cool. Still waiting on news of a new anime.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
what is this the fourth or fifth director change? WB seriously that dead horse ain't getting deader with each hit your just making a mess and spraying yourself with rotten horse bits
Pretty much this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Now that´s more like it. Burn everything else from the last decade of failures and start for real now.
(WB´s George Miller or Zack Synder would have been cool too.) American Anime may get redeemed yet, so i hope that this crystallizes and that Death Note is indeed on the right track after the hard rerouting of the last half year. Let´s see if he can put Star Trek back on track too after Into Dumbness.
PS: 2 out of 3 of his The Fast & Furious films are "critically acclaimed" too, dear ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Oh great. A director of crappy films to make Akira.

-.-'
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:29 am Reply with quote
NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE, just leave that franchise alone already if you only intend to make money and not respect it.
Justin Lin is a mediocre director at best, why the hell did his name end up associated with Akira?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Whatever happened to Christopher Nolan's involvement? O.o If he was chosen as director, you'd be damn sure Warner would take the project seriously.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
I just realized there are no Directors that focus on good Sci-Fi anymore. No name would appease me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3