• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Boy and The Beast [US] BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
Well, that's certainly a much nicer review than Chapman's. I still haven't even gotten around to watching Wolf Children yet to really worry about the quality of this one, but I suppose this has given me a little more hope for whenever I do see it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Still love this movie no matter what anyone says. Though I will admit that maybe the whole father/son thing between Kumatetsu and Kyuta could have been done better or they could have had more genuine father/son moments between them. It seems like the whole time the movie was making Kumatetsu out to be some kind of utterly hopeless and stupid person without the kid's presence in his life, which was annoying in certain scenes; it's not like Kyuta is a shining beacon of perfection. Regardless, I'm not faulting it that much.

Quote:
at times it felt like John Swasey was having to stretch to maintain Kumatetsu's eternal gruffness

No, Nick, he performed excellently. I do not agree with your assessment one bit.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed May 10, 2017 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I run a middle school anime club and my kiddos love Summer Wars. I can't show Wolf Children because of the nursing scene (I know, I know, there's NOTHING wrong with nursing, but I can't get away with showing a nipple in an after school club.) Is there anything like that in The Boy and The Beast? It seems like something my students would enjoy.

Thank you for the review. I was curious about this title.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I run a middle school anime club and my kiddos love Summer Wars. I can't show Wolf Children because of the nursing scene (I know, I know, there's NOTHING wrong with nursing, but I can't get away with showing a nipple in an after school club.) Is there anything like that in The Boy and The Beast? It seems like something my students would enjoy.

Thank you for the review. I was curious about this title.

No there is no nudity or extreme violence in the movie. There is only one scene of any real "gore" where a character is run through with a sword but beyond some blood there is nothing to violent. I can't remember if there was any cursing but if there was it was at worst something like damn or ass.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I run a middle school anime club and my kiddos love Summer Wars. .

I also love Summer Wars everything with the family is pure gold and is the thing I love most about the movie. Oh and that Granny is one of the most kick ass elderly women in anime. When they read the letter Granny left for them I always get teary eyed I love that scene.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
I'm in the disappointed camp on this one, as I see it as being half (maybe 1/3rd?) a good movie, pretty much up until Kyuuta emerges from Byston Well and the dull love story takes over until the weak finish. Still, the good part is really good and it's still practically worth seeing thanks to it, although if you've never seen a Hosoda film before I wouldn't recommend this as the first.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:25 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Well, that's certainly a much nicer review than Chapman's. I still haven't even gotten around to watching Wolf Children yet to really worry about the quality of this one, but I suppose this has given me a little more hope for whenever I do see it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a caustic critic. Hell, Chapman's even listed on the TVTropes page.

"Everything is shit until proven otherwise. Even if declaring a (piece of media) to be shit after its first few hours of (consumption) is perfectly professional, one should never assume that a (piece of media) that starts out good will stay that way."
~Yahtzee
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
varmintx wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a caustic critic. Hell, Chapman's even listed on the TVTropes page.

"Everything is shit until proven otherwise. Even if declaring a (piece of media) to be shit after its first few hours of (consumption) is perfectly professional, one should never assume that a (piece of media) that starts out good will stay that way."
~Yahtzee

I didn't say there was, but I would say Crowshaw is not exactly the best source to quote when it comes to critical analysis.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I thought the movie sucked and had nothing redeeming. I really wanted to leave the theater but I endured only because I don't like carrying popcorn and drinks around the mall.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
varmintx wrote:

~Yahtzee

I don't see Chapman in there at all
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:

I don't see Chapman in there at all

He's listed under the name JesuOtaku in the Web Original Real Life Examples section. The site doesn't list his actual name on that page.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:26 am Reply with quote
[quote="ParaChomp"]There is absolutely nothing wrong with a caustic critic. [/spoiler]

There is when you mistake them for being genuine rather than being entertainers. People watch them to laugh at stupid skits not hear insightful opinions. Don't trust anyone who waves a plastic gun around or talks to imaginary characters.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That was never the case for Champman when he used to be an Internet personality.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I'm just gonna come right out and say it, I thought the movie sucked and had nothing redeeming. I really wanted to leave the theater but I endured only because I don't like carrying popcorn and drinks around the mall.

Then you should have just thrown them in the trash cans that they have littered all around movie theaters, you dunce.

Also, congratulations for being brave enough to come out and enlighten us with that confession, surely an opinion only you share, and everyone else who saw the film loved it. Rolling Eyes Yeesh.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Right around the one hour mark, I felt like it was dragging and had no relevance on the central plotline. I agree with a few of you that there should of been more elements of the bond between "the boy and the beast". I also would of liked to see a little more on how the other kid got into the beast world.

Overall, I would still highly recommend this film. Good for veterans and anyone looking to show a newbie a good anime film. Self contained story and quite enjoyable. A little dragged out at parts but still worth a view. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2