• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ClariS, GARNiDELiA Collaborate on 3rd Qualidea Code Anime Ending Theme

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
This is so typical of the pretty well soullessly commercial modern anime industry and it's TV originals. How about focusing on having a halfway decent show first? NOPE gotta focus on trying to sell dat music from artists that frankly aren't even all that exceptional so much as aggressively marketed by special interest committees based on nothing other than label affiliation. It still amazes me how political and fucked up in it's priorities the modern anime industry is that they put so much time, emphasis and marketing on things like pushing artists and brands and then the show itself just flat out sucks and is like an afterthought. They can't even be bothered to make this show look passable half the time but the marketing campaign like most Aniplex things sure is robust and treating the show like it's some kind of cutting edge masterpiece. The thing is there's a show like this every season now pretty much and a clear formula for "success" that it's trying to follow. Last season it was clearly Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress only that time they had a good chunk people convinced that they had a show on the verge of some kind of greatness by this point.

Anyway with this show I'm curious just to see hear about what gives out first again in it's second half, the animation quality or the writing. I sure as hell know it's not going to be the music production. I wouldn't even be surprised if they push for a record 4th ending single in a 1 cour show and possibly even an insert song by Kalafina or T.M Revolution or someone else that's popular for no particularly discernible reason anymore.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well seems like most the money for makin this anime is supported by music so then obviously they gonna make more of em then usualy.

spoiler[Anyway after the last episodes all i can say Canariaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ;((( dont think i can survive till the end without hearing her singing =/]
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
" music from artists that frankly aren't even all that exceptional" "....or someone else that's popular for no particularly discernible reason"

These are the only lines from the post above me that I can't really agree to. ClariS gained popularity due to the fact that they (well, original ClariS) could actually sing really damn well. Still an overall good music act with rather well produced music. Kalafina on the other hand is just absolutely amazing in terms of musical talent...I have no idea how anyone could be confused as to why they're popular. They're factually amazing. It can't be argued as an opinion because on a technical level they're amazing singers and Yuki Kajiura is an excellent composer.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This show is quite impressive that it is an original show that still feels like an adaptation of a mediocre LN. Props to the staff. The show as a whole is quite bland, predictable, and tries too much to be "edgy" and "cool" that it fall flat. If it wasn't for the cast, I probably would've dropped it.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
" music from artists that frankly aren't even all that exceptional" "....or someone else that's popular for no particularly discernible reason"

These are the only lines from the post above me that I can't really agree to. ClariS gained popularity due to the fact that they (well, original ClariS) could actually sing really damn well. Still an overall good music act with rather well produced music. Kalafina on the other hand is just absolutely amazing in terms of musical talent...I have no idea how anyone could be confused as to why they're popular. They're factually amazing. It can't be argued as an opinion because on a technical level they're amazing singers and Yuki Kajiura is an excellent composer.

These artists all gained their popularity because they got signed onto Sony's robust marketing machine and have been getting pushed hard for years in shows that are designed to be popular and promote them. If you think a group like Claris was going to rise out of the niconico scene on it's own think again. Kalafina and Yuki Kajiura I honestly just find generic and uninspired and the only time they ever did anything for me was maybe that Kara no Kyokai series where it just felt like it fit rather than they were there for promotional reasons.

If there's one thing that surprises me it's that Kalafina wasn't used as a tie-up for this show and instead plugged on another show where they don't fit at all in Arslan Senki. It also just feels like they coast on reputation and tie-ups with established popular stuff largely based around how they are marketed as opposed to putting out anything remarkable nowadays. Just nothing special really and kind of just part of the pieces of the puzzle that Sony uses to try to get people to watch it's usually pretty bad original shows. I can't count the number of times I've seen people say something like "I don't really like this but I'll watch it for the *x artist* music here". Why anybody would watch an entire season of 24 minute episodes for something they don't like just to hear a theme song they could just as easily listen to the full single for is beyond me but then common sense doesn't really seem to thrive much in this community anymore.

So see it can be argued. Not everybody responds to the same things and in my case I'd like to think I can see past heavily marketed and pushed stuff to decide for myself what I like, what I don't and what I'm indifferent too. It's called making up my own mind and having my own tastes and viewpoints.

Hameyadea wrote:
This show is quite impressive that it is an original show that still feels like an adaptation of a mediocre LN. Props to the staff. The show as a whole is quite bland, predictable, and tries too much to be "edgy" and "cool" that it fall flat. If it wasn't for the cast, I probably would've dropped it.

It's just built like a textbook Aniplex original show that uses things like popular writers, seiyuu, music artists and gimmicks like cliffhangers and fake out character deaths to keep people watching week to week. It's all about keeping people watching as long as possible so that they can promote the things that they need to promote rather than making a good functional show.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This show is what you get when you try to create a show that shouldn't exist...

For those who don't know, Qualidea Code is the anime original "crossover" of Qualidea code. The crossover of 3 DIFFERENT STORIES, as in there are actually 3 different books, each about 1 city and written by a different author.

I dislike this anime by the simple fact that it's taking people away from the story by making up most of it in really bland ways
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Is this show actually any good though. I haven't heard much talk about it. I can't tell if that's because it's so bad no one is talking about, or because it's just average that there isn't much to talk about.
SpookyPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I sadly had to drop this show after 4 episodes.

Also "Alabaster Spectrum" while I don't completely disagree with you on a lot of points, all of your comments I see are always extremely lengthy, and in my opinion usually boil down to you repeating a lot of the same generalizing and negative ideas about modern anime and the modern industry. I personally just can't read your comments anymore because they feel so negative to me, and they've given me the general idea in my head that you're probably someone who looks down on people like me, people that really love a lot of new anime, and parts of the current industry. I personally don't have anything against you and I don't wish you any ill, I'm not even implying or asking that you should change the way you think or comment, I just really needed to vent these thoughts I've been having whenever I see your comments the past couple of weeks. Anyhow that's just what's going around in my head, if you completely ignore this comment that's fine I just feel a lot better with this off my chest.

PS: I'm also completely aware this post it's self is extremely lengthy.
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Is this show actually any good though. I haven't heard much talk about it. I can't tell if that's because it's so bad no one is talking about, or because it's just average that there isn't much to talk about.

I'm actually enjoying the show a lot, not for the story per se, but more because of the characters and their interactions.
Still, as a reference, I find it better than:
- Absolute Duo
- The Asterix War
- Unlimited Fafnir
- Hybrid x Heart
- A Tale of Worst One
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Silver4000 wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:

I'm actually enjoying the show a lot, not for the story per se, but more because of the characters and their interactions.
Still, as a reference, I find it better than:
- Absolute Duo
- The Asterix War
- Unlimited Fafnir
- Hybrid x Heart
- A Tale of Worst One

When people still think Rokudai was bad.... pfff At least don't compare it with the garbage that was The Asterisk War
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

Because people have different tastes in music, and some can't understand it(just look at how many dislike extreme metal, even though it can require a lot of technical skill, or vocal skills, or is praised within the community for its lyrics).

For J-rock/pop bands/artists, Nano.ripe is also one of those love/hate things, best to not pay attention to those who think music is 100% objective.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

It gets plenty of discussion on other sites though.

Enjoying it for Maihime/Aoi Yuuki myself. Not the top of the season though(thats for New game, Regalia and Amanchu)
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Well the recent "plot twist" got me real frustrated, especially if they truly follow through with it. As for the show in general, the character designs are really nice imo, but the art and animation as a whole has been a trainwreck after the first couple eps. The art for characters in distant shots were awful, they looked like garbage stick figures. The story is sort of generic, and it's nothing really special. I think the soundtrack is nice as well, and the characters themselves are not bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1