• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega Renews Virtua Fighter 3D Fighting Game Tradermark

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The series is notable for its three-button punch/kick/block control system.

I was never fond of the block button mechanic. There was an element of foresight required to guard in a timely fashion due to the animation's delay, something that was less forgiving than rivalling games' use of the joystick for the same purpose.

That said, the fact there are only two attack buttons does much to compensate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
Well if they've gone to the trouble of renewing the trademark surely then we're going to see VF6 coming sometime in 2018 right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The series is notable for its three-button punch/kick/block control system.

I was never fond of the block button mechanic. There was an element of foresight required to guard in a timely fashion due to the animation's delay, something that was less forgiving than rivalling games' use of the joystick for the same purpose.

That said, the fact there are only two attack buttons does much to compensate.

Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur also use block buttons, and I was never fond of it either. But that's probably because I cut my fighting game teeth on Street Fighter II (the original), so by the time Mortal Kombat and Virtua Fighter came out, I was already fully in the habit of joystick blocking, so the franchises that used that system (Tekken, Darkstalkers, Primal Rage, Samurai Shodown, etc.) are pretty much the ones I've stayed with over the years. I barely played Virtua Fighter even when it was still fresh in arcades, and of course by today's standards the early entries in the series I remember from back then have aged horribly, especially graphics-wise.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
VF's controls are fine and this is coming from someone who despises classic MK's controls because of the amount of buttons + block button. Having punch+kick+block on 3 buttons is not that bad if you can get used to it.

I don't think this actually went anywhere though because I heard it was just to renew VF2's (horrible) Genesis version digital rights. I'd like VF5FS on Steam to happen if it's for more than that.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I never got why of all the versions to release on...everything, it was the craptastic Genesis version of 2.

Can we at least get the Saturn version for the phones and tablets? Please?
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Well if they've gone to the trouble of renewing the trademark surely then we're going to see VF6 coming sometime in 2018 right?

not quite. my best bet is that there will be another VF / DOA crossover like in DOA 5 Last Round.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1