• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puzzle & Dragons X (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 am Reply with quote

Puzzle & Dragons X (TV)

Plot Summary: Dorogoza Island is rich in “Drop Energy” that players can use on friendly monsters. Once strong enough, they can face enemies in puzzle wars.
----------------------------------

Episodes 1 to 3

This is pretty much a kids show, about in line with say Pokémon or Youkai Watch. Normally that sort of thing is fine, but not the sort of thing we talk all that much about on ANN forums, because we tend to not really be kids. For that reason I kind of have not started a thread about it, but really, this show has so far been surprisingly good that I don't think we might just classify it as only for kids.

first I am going to talk about two bits important for impressions of episodes, and that is the OP and ED, and I think they are actually kind of great. The OP, "WE ARE GO", is super catchy, starts off with a bunch of shadowy figures and some freezes on powerful monsters, it all feels kind of cool as the temp starts to dip before amping it up with showing the series title, it only being half way through and then shows the characters we will be more familiar with, and despite appearances it all feels kind of awesome. I know that it is one aspect, but it really does something in making me feel excited. The ED is also good and that I would say that it is fun, it kind of looks in line with other kids EDs, but it does a good job of selling the mascots, which I will talk more about bellow.

This third episode had one of the characters having to go through public office bureaucracy, being sent to various departments before being told he needed to go to the place he said he needed at the very beginning. That is not really an original joke, but it feels beyond the scope that I would expect that it actually made me laugh. The show is actually kind of funny. And I think that the funniest character in the show is Tamazou, okay he is kind of annoying, but it really feels like the show knows that and using it. I have to especially give credit to Tamazou's voice actress who uses a pretty large range to make him funny, like his major interest in the second episode was just getting food. Also the episodes have included a two faced idol girl, who I am kind of enjoying.

There are some problems, not all characters seem consistently written, and there are holes in the story. Two examples that comes to mind in the third episode is how the escape of the good guys out of the military base was kind of cut of them just getting out then Garnet just destroying the monster that was chasing them, and when Ace was acting like he needed to leave now the night before he actually needed to. Sure a bit of a problem, but just letting it sink in that Tamazou got out because he farted enough to scare soldiers away, kind of make up for it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it so far. It only really has that card game feel during the intro and when they do combo and power-up attacks and such. Otherwise it's kinda like World Trigger with better animation, and maybe a simpler plot? Hard to say yet on the latter, since the MC is apparently spoiler[the king's son], which could yield plot twists. I also really like the OP song.

Until the idol girl blew away the little dragon, I honestly thought he wasn't trying to harm Starboy and his white mokona. It seemed like he was happy they let him out and just wanted to go with them.

I definitely related to the dragon caller's adventures in bureaucracy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Until the idol girl blew away the little dragon, I honestly thought he wasn't trying to harm Starboy and his white mokona. It seemed like he was happy they let him out and just wanted to go with them.

As did I, which is why I consider it one of the weaknesses of the episode for being a bit unclear.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
So when dragons get blasted to rainbow bits, do they die or just return to the mountains or Dragon Island or whatever? When the barefoot guy finished off the first dragon, he kept talking about returning it to where it belonged. Also, I don't think I quite understand the antipathy between the military and the dragon callers, who do seem to be recognized by the government (just not by bureaucrats). So far the JSDF is just jerks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
I got the feeling that the dragons are made up of the energy of the world, so when it was destroyed it scattered and returned to the earth. The dragon callers largely seem to be an ancient order that can only allow certain skilled individuals, while the defence force probably more aligned to "the government" and is technically made up of the general population. The episodes so far seemed to set up that the government and people need the help of dragon callers, but the defence force don't like the idea of being reliant on them, so they have new technology that causes more trouble and are trying to one up them to show that they are capable, but it is making them jerks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

"I didn't know he was a boy!" Thanks Ace, I did not know if the show was going to address Charo's androgynous appearance.

Tamazo is the best children's show mascot pet character, like the perfect mix of annoying and using that. Like him flying down and inflating, before unceremoniously farting and being locked out for it. Or laughing at Garnet after her hair got roasted.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
So I guess King is just a name and not a title.

Somehow I had the impression from the first episode that his special powers were like some special undiscovered thing no one realized he even had, but now it's like his whole family is Dragon Caller Elite and he's in Destiny Fulfillment mode. Anyway, my inner child is enjoying the ride. Howling Ouka was too cute.

I was also happily astonished when the goth kid apologized for being mean without anyone making him. I figured he'd be all Jealousy Guy making trouble for not getting enough attention. He might yet be used that way, but I'd rather see them be friends instead.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

*sees Tamzo transform into wizard form*
Ace: "Is that..."
Tamazo acting cool: "I'll explain later."

I love how aware that kind of was, where of course nothing got explained. Similar could probably be put to his daydream earlier in the episode where the design of himself and Ouka were very off.

That angry kid from before, actually surprisingly helpful despite his attitude, almost like he is a character beyond being a antagonizing. There was some funny timing with the reveal of the eating contest prize and of the monster the map pointing to a low levelled thing, a flammie (or something). The guy giving the map away was suspicious despite characters specifically describing him as an old man, but did that just mean he was making a map as a prank against kids?

If there was a character so far I liked after Tamazo, it would be Garnet, and it is also interesting that she seems to continue to be a part of the show, and also shown as kind of an okay character despite thinking high of herself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The old guy is probably King in disguise, guiding his son to rank up and stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

"What's the point of all this?"
"You mean you've never seen Karate Kid?"

I dunno, that exam was kinda sketchy. Why was Charo allowed to be with him - is he considered to be like one of Ace's support monsters? He wouldn't have passed the first test on his own because he doesn't know his own monsters' powers. Does Charo get into the guild now too? This makes no sense. Very Happy

Reading the wikipedia page on this, it appears that all of these characters and storylines are anime-original, except for the tamas. Or at least nobody is mentioned on the page - I don't play these games so I don't really know how it works, but I don't see how all this would get explained in a match-3 game anyway. Maybe they're in the card game somehow?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Ace won the fight, but got disqualified for getting help. I am actually kind of happy with that result, for one it showed that the group can work together and be pretty strong, but also that I was thinking that Ace still has a way to go. We don't have a big power base level requirement for being part of the guild, but what comes to mind is Garnet, and what fights she has been have had her being quite a bit better than him, which he was only starting. Kind of sounds like a good goal that he could get stronger without needing Tamazo and Charo, well honestly it felt like Charo not helping the fight did help Ace in other ways. And I am guessing Charo grow too.

Just noticed Lance has horns on his head, which I guess is what they were talking about Dragonoids. Don't know if I only just noticed or this was the first time he was not wearing his hat. Well it kind of feels good that they addressed that some people look like they are part dragon.

Taking the conversation out of just this show for a bit. For my situation it feels so odd that how today for example I also watched: Scared Riders Xechs, Servamp, Cheer Boys, and Masou Gakuen HxH. But I would kind of consider this show my guilty pleasure, and also one I am enjoying much more than the other four which are making me frustrated.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
I was happy they finally addressed Charo's presence too. Although his help this time kind of consisted of being the damsel in distress, which aroused Ace's protective side. That actually seemed kind of fair, since in a real battle, that's what would be motivating him. On the other hand, Charo's knowledge is the only reason Ace made it through the first test, and nobody made a peep about it then.

I dropped Xechs awhile back - did it get any better?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I dropped Xechs awhile back - did it get any better?

Nope, it is pretty terrible.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I don't play these games - does it make sense to send out a fire type to battle a fire type? Wouldn't the troll be kinda immune to fire attacks? He didn't even do any combos. :/

I like the new kid though. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It did feel like our heroes had a drop in intelligence in forgetting the standard rock paper scissors rules that tend to follow this sort of thing. Ace did say that there was a lot of fire energy around, so that might have been why he in general did it. New guy was alright, I thought I might just laugh at his cardboard box costume, but personally the episode built his reasoning behind it that I was just seeing it as evidence of how spirited he is. Comments from the other characters about him was funny though.

The episode focused pretty strongly on Garnet though, who really has kind of been an extra member of the team from just happening to be near them so often. I think, she might be my favourite character in the show. I have said it before, but I feel like her character might usually be along the lines of "Hey boys, this is one of those bratty girls who throw around their femininity or cuteness to push you around and make themselves feel better than others." But honestly she feels fair, she is trying the idol thing, but is struggling at it, she might have forced, she might have forced Ace and Charo into working for her (whatever they did). But she has really been set as a senior that they can both learn from, if only from the episode's message of keep fighting for doing what you like, which for Charo is struggling to even see the drop, is probably something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5