• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger Animator Takafumi Hori Works on Latest Episode of Steven Universe Animated Seri

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
Oooo, we got another guest Japanese animator on an American cartoon. I wonder how long we're going to see a Cartoon Network regular animator or staff work on something on a Japanese title.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Steven Universe had a following in Japan. Surprised
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:

Don't think it does, but Takafumi Hori is apparently a big fan of the show, so I imagine he was more than happy to work on this. Looking forward to checking out the episode
Mogtaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:12 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Don't think it does, but Takafumi Hori is apparently a big fan of the show, so I imagine he was more than happy to work on this. Looking forward to checking out the episode

Actually, the following is pretty massive. It even has its own Japanese dubbing.

You'd be surprised at how big the 'Western cartoon' fandom is over there, especially with Adventure Time.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 am Reply with quote
I am so damn hyped for this episode!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing what will happen in today's episode, although I say the same thing for every episode. Anime hyper The fact that a member of Studio Trigger helped with animating part of the episode is a really cool idea and I can't wait to see it!

I'm just going to wonder in the meantime spoiler[if it's going to be related to Stevonnie's training - fun fighting scenes, yay! - or the preview moment of Sapphire being surrounded by butterflies and looking up as the sky is swirling above her, since a previous promo image for this episode featured butterflies. I'm guessing from there that we'll see both in today's episode.]
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:
Divineking wrote:

Actually, the following is pretty massive. It even has its own Japanese dubbing.

You'd be surprised at how big the 'Western cartoon' fandom is over there, especially with Adventure Time.

American cartoons and animated movies earn more money in Japan than anime does in the USA. Don't listen to the sceptics. Spongebob gets more viewers in Japan than Gundam IBO does here.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Mogtaki wrote:
Divineking wrote:

I have seen quite a few doujinshi with Fionnia on them,
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Worlds collide! Very Happy
I attended the very first Steven Universe panel at New York Comic Con in 2013, about a month before the show's premiere. It was held in one of the smallest panel rooms, and I don't think the room was even full, despite Rebecca Sugar's growing popularity from her work on Adventure Time. They played the Cookie Cat episode, Rebecca Sugar played the show's theme song live on her ukulele, and we all got Steven Universe iron-on patches as souvenirs. (I still have mine, unused, if anyone's interested, please PM me! Wink)

The show has blown up so big that I doubt they could use any room besides the main stage --although they might try--last year's NYCC put the Gravity Falls panel in a small panel room. The line was full by the time I got there, so I thought "maybe next year"--only to find out months later that the second season was planned to be its last. Damn it, NYCC!--but Cartoon Network seems to have more clout at cons than Disney X.D.

I'm super psyched for the latest episode, and am looking forward to more international animation collaborations in the future! Cartoon Network has gotten the bulk on them lately--Masaaki Yuasa on Adventure Time, Studio 4¤C on Gumball--but maybe other networks can get into the fun? I'd love to see anime talents work on Star vs. The Forces of Evil, another obvious magical girl homage!
LC_Lapen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote

It only makes sense. I mean after all, Trigger managed to sneak Connie into Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade as a hidden easter egg, as well as Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls.
http://65.media.tumblr.com/479e69751acb96d0bdc2159a07d35d54/tumblr_nqypwkcydV1qjv6clo1_r1_1280.png
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
LC_Lapen wrote:

It only makes sense. I mean after all, Trigger managed to sneak Connie into Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade as a hidden easter egg, as well as Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls.
http://65.media.tumblr.com/479e69751acb96d0bdc2159a07d35d54/tumblr_nqypwkcydV1qjv6clo1_r1_1280.png
I didn't know that I was under the impression that it wasn't and even more surprised about Adventure time other there is popular too.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
LC_Lapen wrote:

I didn't know that I was under the impression that it wasn't and even more surprised about Adventure time other there is popular too.

yep,western animation is a big thing over there. i know stitch was another huge thing over there as well.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LC_Lapen wrote:

Don't forget random pony figure on the desk.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
LC_Lapen wrote:

Don't forget random pony figure on the desk.
Haha I own a few Japanese pony doujinshi, I wonder if I can find some SU Japanese fan art, be pretty cool I'm a fan of what some fans did with Adventure Time.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I watched several episodes in Japan and... it just wasn't that great. The dubbing for most cartoons are awesome, but this one ends up flat and unconvincing. The English dub is spectacular in comparison. And a lot of my students had heard of it, but not a single one was a fan. They liked other cartoons more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4