• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Silent Voice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Both this and Your Name are films that I've been really looking forward to seeing. It's great to hear that this one turned out so well. Now we just need confirmation of a license in the US already.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
I have not watched A Silent Voice yet, but I have expectations for it.

Some people online have been commenting that Ponycan USA might have the license for this movie. I hope that is not the case because I refuse to buy anything from that lousy, no good company.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to it. Looks like it's going to be one of the best films of the year. And I love Naoki Canada's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I've always looked forward to this movie ever since I've read the manga. It's such a heartwarming story that really means a lot to me. No matter who licenses the movie (probably either Aniplex USA or Pony Canyon, most likely the latter) I'll buy the movie as long as the quality is good. Can anyone care to tell how good Pony Canyon's Blu-rays are? I never bought anything from them before so I need to know.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
No matter who licenses the movie (probably either Aniplex USA or Pony Canyon, most likely the latter) I'll buy the movie as long as the quality is good. Can anyone care to tell how good Pony Canyon's Blu-rays are? I never bought anything from them before so I need to know.

I assume PCUSA's BD's are of good quality, but they recently recalled the first volume of Sound! Euphonium. And if PCUSA does indeed have A Silent Voice, be ready to pay $70 for a probably sub-only release.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
With When Marnie was There, Anthem of the Heart, Your Name and this latest film all enjoying premiere screenings within the Anglosphere, 2016 has proven to be a very rewarding year for those fond of delicate anime dramas.

Kevin's prose makes for an engrossing yet effortless read, its content describing a work which would be odd not to deserve such encomium. My only concern lies in a single, seemingly inconsequential detail:
Kevin wrote:
There are some notable exceptions like My Generation by The Who – licensed to act as the opening sequence defining Ishida's quest for entertainment as a child –

This musical choice will prove to be a licensing headache. As we learned from Speed Grapher, the legalities surrounding mainstream western music can lead to its omission from localised anime. A Silent Voice is a special film by all appearances, and it would be nothing if not unfortunate were its inevitable on-disk release to be impeded in this manner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NervClaX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Any chance of this getting a halfway decent theatrical release?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I just got tickets to see Your Name in a few weeks time. Wonder how the two movies stack up together.

I had the privilege of seeing this at the cinema in Shibuya during a trip to Japan. Funny fact, it was a hearing impaired screening so there were Japanese subtitles along the bottom of the screen the entire time. I guess you could say that was the way it was meant to be watched.

Anyway, that aside, amazing stuff. From the moment The Who started blaring from the cinema speakers to the end credits I was absolutely in love with this movie. Naoko Yamada is one of my favourite directors up there with the likes of Ikuhara, Miyazaki and Hosada. This movie is arguably her best effort yet which is saying quite a bit when you consider what came before it (The K-On! Movie is still my go to feel good movie all these years later).

There is stuff cut from the manga but I actually feel it makes the story more focused. I actually think the movie is better. More focused on the lead characters, toned down melodrama without toned down emotional impact, the top notch animation and sound design I've come to expect from KyoAni, the seiyuu performances (Paticularly Saori Hayami who's really believable in portraying Nishimiya's condition), the list goes on.

And of course my favourite scene from the movie, one which didn't have nearly as much emotional impact in manga form, Nishimiya spoiler[jumping off the balcony]. The animation, the way the fireworks boomed while the soundtrack built up to a crescendo, that scene was just astounding. I think my heart skipped a few beats.

I highly recommend checking out both the manga and this movie. Regardless of your preference, both are equally worth checking out.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Kon'Doriano wrote:
No matter who licenses the movie (probably either Aniplex USA or Pony Canyon, most likely the latter) I'll buy the movie as long as the quality is good. Can anyone care to tell how good Pony Canyon's Blu-rays are? I never bought anything from them before so I need to know.

I assume PCUSA's BD's are of good quality, but they recently recalled the first volume of Sound! Euphonium. And if PCUSA does indeed have A Silent Voice, be ready to pay $70 for a probably sub-only release.

They are just fine, but not quite on the level of Aniplex of America, to be honest, as far as video quality goes. The Sound Euphonium thing was audio, of course, and the video on that release looked really fantastic, to be honest, though I'm sure part of it was just how great the show looks.

If they do end up releasing it, I really hope they do an import release similar to Garakowa. That was gorgeous, regardless of the price. I think I would open my wallet for something like that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
I was intregued to discover, whilst researching ASV's manga, that Yoshitoki-san also illustrated the manga version of Mardock Scramble as well. So much so I'm now purchasing both.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad that the film turned out well. A Silent Voice ranks as one of my top five all-time favourite manga, so I'm really pleased that the film adaptation worked in its favour.

Also, I'm glad it was left with a director and a writer who were actually willing to adapt the source material. Too often it feels like anime directors/writers don't understand the point of an adaptation, and end up becoming too lavishly dictated by the source material.

I'm really excited for a potential release in North America now. More so than I was before.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
The movie seems fantastic, and After reading the review, I'm not sure why, as the reviewer mentions a few times, the movie has been divisive. Was it because it doesn't adapt the source material completely? Who actually expected a single movie to adapt 7 volumes of manga faithfully? Or was it because some of the sign language was left untranslated? That I could see annoying people, despite it's realism (when depicting a language barrier in film, translating everything misses the point).
In any case, I hope it gets a dub and a theatrical release in the US. This sounds like a movie that parents should bring their kids to.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Question for source manga readers - How much of the Silent Voice manga was adapted for the movie? Was any of the cut material significant to the original plot?
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Question for source manga readers - How much of the Silent Voice manga was adapted for the movie? Was any of the cut material significant to the original plot?

I went to this screening and had read the manga previously. The main bit they cut was spoiler[the main characters making a film together] but I actually preferred it without that in a way, as I didn't really see the point of them doing that. The story works just as well without that needless plot device. The ending is also slightly different, it's a similar idea but executed a bit different.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Another one I'm really looking forward to. Be great if it received a UK release! Please please?!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1