• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Article Suggestion: Is NISA still in the anime licensing game?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I sent a question about this to Answerman a while ago but it doesn't seem like it made the cut. I notice virtually all the Answerman questions are general in nature, so perhaps my question about a specific company was not appropriate for the Answerman column. In any case, I would love to see an article about the current state of affairs at NISA. They were once a very going concern, but it's been ages since they've announced a new license. Are they out of the game permanently? Would it be possible to get an article on this? If Answerman is planning on answering this question but just hasn't gotten around to it, please disregard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It's been almost 2 weeks since I posted this suggestion. I would like a response, please.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Please consider the possibility that they don't know, or know and can't say. With the latter situation, even admitting that there is something they can't say would lead to speculation. Sometimes silence is the best response.

It is also possible that NISA was simply priced out of the market. In that case, even the management at NISA may not know for sure what they are going to do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I think the most likely reason nobody has responded is because nobody is tasked with checking this forum on a regular basis or else somebody has been tasked with checking it on a regular basis and isn't doing it. A two week non-response is absolutely garbage customer service, but sadly this conforms to ANN's usual standards in this area. Why bother having a feedback forum if you aren't going to bother monitoring it? What makes the situation even more pathetic is that this is not a very busy forum at all. It's not like the site is being inundated by suggestions hourly. Yet, even with the slow pace, they still can't get it together to be professional. That's the problem when a "business" is really just a hobby horse as opposed to an enterprise committed to maintaining professional standards.

And let's not even get into why a site that has "News" in its name needs to be asked to report on why a once active distrib hasn't announced a new license in over a year.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-
Though I might have said it a bit differently I do agree with you.
Somebody should have responded to your first post long ago.

Even if all that they could say would amount to "no comment" they should at least have acknowledged the existence of your suggestion.

I an curious to see if anybody will reply now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
They haven't made any information about this public - we know everything you know.

I'll get in touch with them myself and see if they'd like to be interviewed about the situation - we don't have any secret or insider knowledge we can share with you, though, and Justin isn't the person to answer this question because he's occasionally a contract employee of NISA.

Sorry it took me so long to see this and respond to it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Zac, I appreciate you looking into it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Funimation, Crunchyroll, Netflix & Amazon have pushed licensing fees into the stratosphere. NISA wasn't interested in competing with those licensing fees.

With Funimation and CR no longer bidding against each other, it remains to be seen how far licensing fees will drop.

I assume NISA is watching the situation closely and will decide on whether or not to license more anime depending on whether or not the required MGs fall within their budget.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
@ Tempest - interesting. I am a little surprised that NISA seems to be the only NA publisher that sat on its hands during this expensive licensing period. As far as I can tell, no other NA-based company pulled in their horns. The explanation makes sense, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1