• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TsukiPro Talent Agency Gets TV Anime About 4 of Its Musical Groups

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
. . . . for some of those voice actors, this is their 3rd or 4th fictional unit. That's an interesting phenomenon.

I wonder if anyone's keeping track of all of these projects.

... and I wonder if the anime-boy-band market is becoming oversaturated...
Loyalty06

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
. . . . for some of those voice actors, this is their 3rd or 4th fictional unit. That's an interesting phenomenon.

... and I wonder if the anime-boy-band market is becoming oversaturated...

I read somewhere that female seiyuus usually only ties up to one idol voice in all their career. Is that true? Why? Anyway, I love all the seiyuus here and I can recognize them from their previous roles. That's the best!

It's not so much as oversaturated but the opportunity of success is better these days. (I credit Osomatsu-san) I remember there was a time where male idol animes are in scarcity and the female side has so many. There are almost 6 make idol anime next year, which I think is great finally for us fans. I've waited. Smile
hack5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It's not so much as oversaturated but the opportunity of success is better these days. (I credit Osomatsu-san) I remember there was a time where male idol animes are in scarcity and the female side has so many. There are almost 6 make idol anime next year, which I think is great finally for us fans. I've waited. Smile[/quote]

I really think it started with the anime Free!,I know its not a idol show but when free came out it was a big surprise to everyone how successful it became.After Free we just start getting a whole lot of all male shows it didn't even matter what genre they just keep pumping it out lol,as for me im glad coming from someone who hates cgdgt anime i welcome it.Lets keep it coming Smile
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The idols here look quite attractive. Smile The feminine-looking Quell group are particularly a sight for sore eyes.
Cloudedmind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:
It's not so much as oversaturated but the opportunity of success is better these days. (I credit Osomatsu-san) I remember there was a time where male idol animes are in scarcity and the female side has so many. There are almost 6 make idol anime next year, which I think is great finally for us fans. I've waited. Smile

I really think it started with the anime Free!,I know its not a idol show but when free came out it was a big surprise to everyone how successful it became.After Free we just start getting a whole lot of all male shows it didn't even matter what genre they just keep pumping it out lol,as for me im glad coming from someone who hates cgdgt anime i welcome it.Lets keep it coming Smile[/quote]

In regards to the burst in male idol shows specifically, it was definitely UtaPri which really got it going, which is in it's fourth anime season, and has had quite a few otome and music games(An idols/groups are just really popular in Japan). Free! is more of a product of KyoAni realizing that sports anime are popular among the female crowd, and then they put their own fanservicy spin on it. (Not that I'm complaining, I love Free!) Which in turn started it's own craze, and companies realizing that hey, women watch anime to, and some of them even like watching cute guys doing cute things.Razz But yeah it's been a long time coming. xD
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Not Free and not Osomatsu-san, the success of Uta no Prince-sama (ST☆RISH in particular) led the way for the male idol group anime fervor.

hack5 wrote:
I remember there was a time where male idol animes are in scarcity and the female side has so many.

Utapri and Idolm@ster first seasons both aired starting at the exact same time (Summer 2011). There really wasn't much in terms of female idol anime before then. Chance Pop Session is about the only thing I can think of that could be considered an 'idol anime' before that. Others had idol characters but would not be the main focus.
hack5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Cloudedmind wrote:
hack5 wrote:

I really think it started with the anime Free!,I know its not a idol show but when free came out it was a big surprise to everyone how successful it became.After Free we just start getting a whole lot of all male shows it didn't even matter what genre they just keep pumping it out lol,as for me im glad coming from someone who hates cgdgt anime i welcome it.Lets keep it coming Smile

In regards to the burst in male idol shows specifically, it was definitely UtaPri which really got it going, which is in it's fourth anime season, and has had quite a few otome and music games(An idols/groups are just really popular in Japan). Free! is more of a product of KyoAni realizing that sports anime are popular among the female crowd, and then they put their own fanservicy spin on it. (Not that I'm complaining, I love Free!) Which in turn started it's own craze, and companies realizing that hey, women watch anime to, and some of them even like watching cute guys doing cute things.Razz But yeah it's been a long time coming. xD[/quote]

I have to be honest im a little bias when it comes to UtaPri,i really hate that show dont know why but i hate it,anyway i get what ur saying but i was talking about all guys cast not reverse harem or idols but shows where a female character is not a main but non existent or is just a supporting character.Just look up cgdct anime on my anime listing and you wont believe how many there are vs the guys version but i like how you phase it that companies realizing that women watch anime too you could not have stated that even better so f-ing true
Loyalty06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
Free was 2013 soi doubt the event boom is with it, nor is it UtaPri since it took 4 seasons for it to show it had influence? It's really more like Osomatsu San and it not only affect male idols but overall all male-themed shows. For this year, isn't it second only to Live live in sales?

I personally do not like Utapri, though I like the seiyuus and some of the songs. The girl really kills my enjoyment, which is why I dropped B-Pro. I can't see the boys courting a girl dumbly when they have music to focus on. The overall ridiculousness of the performance too, lol. I cringe in some of the dancing in Utapri.

I love Tsukiuta, Starmyu, ShoHolly from the past seasons, despite the obvious drop in animation, their style and music captivated me. Next year, really looking forward to Marginal#4(I just watched the trailer, the animation looks gorgeous!!), Idolish7 (I listened to the songs and I can tell it's for me, reminded me so much of Starmyu) and Tsukipro. I will be cautious in Enstars but I like some of their songs. But I heard somewhere the girl will appear, so sad.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
All you people disliking the female protagonists makes me sad lol, I like Tsubasa (B-Pro's female protag).

While Utapri did lead the way in male idol anime, the fact that the trend has only picked up near its fourth season shows that there are probably some other factors involved besides Utapri. As people pointed out, the rise of female-oriented shows like Free and Osomatsu-san are showing that female otaku is a viable demographic too. But why did it take so long to have male idols as a trend, considering that several franchises like Tsukiuta have been running for years? I have a theory:

Surely companies have seen Utapri's crazy sales numbers and want to replicate it. However, ShoHolly didn't sell that well, which perhaps made companies wary. But Starmyu did (surprisingly) well in sales, despite being an original series and even got a second season. So my theory is that companies only decided to try and have more male idol anime after having proof that non-Utapri male idol anime can succeed, which is why we're getting all those anime now, especially for existing franchises like Tsukiuta and Idolish7. (Also, King of Prism, the male version of Aikatsu!, has good sales too in Japan, though perhaps a little-known title outside of Japan.)

More on topic: Incidentally, SolidS is my current favorite Tsukipro group (yes, even over Six Gravity and Procellarum); I love their songs. It'll be interesting to see if they remain my favorite after Tsukipro anime airs. Also, I want the goddesses to have an anime too! Maybe Love Live can finally be dethroned, who knows Wink

Edit: speaking of seiyuu, there are definitely some names that have shown up a couple of times lol. I've even started making a list of male seiyuu in idol anime just to see who has the most idol roles. Aoi Shouta has the most roles so far (Utapri, ShoHolly, Tsukiuta, King of Prism and the upcoming Marginal #4 anime), and some others like Hanae Natsuki (Starmyu, B-Pro, Tsukipro), Hosoya Yoshimasa (Starmyu, Tsukiuta, upcoming EnStars), Maeno Tomoaki (Utapri, King of Prism, Starmyu, Tsukiuta) and Masuda Toshiki (King of Prism, B-Pro, Tsukiuta, upcoming Marginal #4)... The list goes on.

Edit 2:
#861208 wrote:

Well, I am - see above ^

Last edited by starlightshine on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
ice_tea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
starlightshine wrote:

Edit: speaking of seiyuu, there are definitely some names that have shown up a couple of times lol. I've even started making a list of male seiyuu in idol anime just to see who has the most idol roles. Aoi Shouta has the most roles so far (Utapri, ShoHolly, Tsukiuta, King of Prism and the upcoming Marginal #4 anime), and some others like Hanae Natsuki (Starmyu, B-Pro, Tsukipro), Hosoya Yoshimasa (Starmyu, Tsukiuta, upcoming EnStars), Maeno Tomoaki (Utapri, King of Prism, Starmyu, Tsukiuta) and Masuda Toshiki (King of Prism, B-Pro, Tsukiuta, upcoming Marginal #4)... The list goes on.

Ono Kensho, KENN, Kakihara Tetsuya, etc also appeared multiple times in anime idol projects (Idolish 7, B-Pro, Tsukiuta, Ensemble Stars, M#4...). A lot of newer male voice actors tend to join those too. I am glad that male voice actors can be used in more than one idol project, unlike female ones. I can't imagine watching a (bishi) anime with all voice actors I am suddenly not familiar with...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Yes, women tend to be less receptive to new seiyuu than men do, which is something I find interesting. I wonder why that is?
hack5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Loyalty06 wrote:
Free was 2013 soi doubt the event boom is with it, nor is it UtaPri since it took 4 seasons for it to show it had influence? It's really more like Osomatsu San and it not only affect male idols but overall all male-themed shows. For this year, isn't it second only to Live live in sales?

I personally do not like Utapri, though I like the seiyuus and some of the songs. The girl really kills my enjoyment, which is why I dropped B-Pro. I can't see the boys courting a girl dumbly when they have music to focus on. The overall ridiculousness of the performance too, lol. I cringe in some of the dancing in Utapri.

I love Tsukiuta, Starmyu, ShoHolly from the past seasons, despite the obvious drop in animation, their style and music captivated me. Next year, really looking forward to Marginal#4(I just watched the trailer, the animation looks gorgeous!!), Idolish7 (I listened to the songs and I can tell it's for me, reminded me so much of Starmyu) and Tsukipro. I will be cautious in Enstars but I like some of their songs. But I heard somewhere the girl will appear, so sad.

Oh my god you took the words right out of my mouth i feel the same way,i also hate girls in my shows the joke is i am not Fujoshi, i hate how they behave like the whole world is suppose to be gay and make couples out of everyone me i enjoy bromance i live for that so shows like what you called starmyu and sho holly cater to my needs i mean i have no problem with same sex relationship but as long as is canon.Anyway as i said i hate utapri for the same reason u do the main girl just doesn't cut it for me,i mean every season they add more boys most of them is in love with her WHY i just cant!!!! its true they have better things to do than courting a cardboard box,like their careers.l also look forward to marginal 4,but i have not heard of idolish7 or enstars.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:19 am Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
Ono Kensho, KENN, Kakihara Tetsuya, etc also appeared multiple times in anime idol projects (Idolish 7, B-Pro, Tsukiuta, Ensemble Stars, M#4...). A lot of newer male voice actors tend to join those too. I am glad that male voice actors can be used in more than one idol project, unlike female ones. I can't imagine watching a (bishi) anime with all voice actors I am suddenly not familiar with...

Yeah, I know they are in quite a few too but if I listed everyone my reply would be absurdly long lol. Newer seiyuus in idol anime is definitely a thing (I think half of Tsukipro's cast are relatively unknowns?), and if they succeed they will be super popular (see: Aoi Shouta). I'm glad that repeated seiyuu is a thing, since if I know a certain seiyuu can sing well I would want to hear them sing more. Also let's be real, in Japan a lot of idol anime fans are also seiyuu fans, and might even be the reason they start to follow an idol franchise. (For me, that's how I started Utapri too - I'm a Miyano fan.)

I actually have experienced your last sentence. I'm watching Dream Festival this season, where the main cast is made up of newcomers. They're an idol group in real life and the anime is meant to promote the franchise; this is their first VA job for all of them. I'll just say I appreciate actual seiyuu more now.
Cloudedmind

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
Osomatsu-san is to new to be the start of a trend that's technically been picking up for a few years now. If anything I would say that Osomatsu-san also benefited from the trend. The fact that the show decided to have the boys have alternate bishi versions, which they then used to lampoon some male idol shows and otome shows is just proof of that.

@starlightshine I totally understand what you mean. I'm also watching Dream Festival and well.....I wish them good luck in their venture, and I hope the anime helps them out, but yeah....that voice acting Razz

In regards to Tsukipro, collectively I also like them better then Tsukiuta, even though Tsukiuta has some of my fav seiyuu. My favorite group is Soara, and I'm looking forward to hearing some of the new-ish talent that'll be in these groups.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
This isn't the first time something like this has happened. The Beatles and New Kids on the Block had animated shows in their day. Even Puffy AmiYumi had a Cartoon Network show for a while. It seems like TsukiPro wanted to do this so that they could get into the act themselves. Me,I don't really mind this a whole lot. They're going to do this regardless of what anyone in this country says.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1