• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Love Live over OP. It's tied 1-1 now after the beef started.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
Considering that One Piece Film Gold's release date is 12/28/2016 I'd say that it will likely reclaim its throne as the top-selling media franchise of 2016.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:55 am Reply with quote
I assume Aria is the Kozue Amano manga even though the link goes to the magazine and it's listed as originating as an anime. But if so, how is it pulling in that kind of money? It's beating Erased, and that had an anime, a manga and a live action film.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Aria had 3 BD boxes released in this time period which sold around 15,000 copies each.
synaia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Considering that One Piece Film Gold's release date is 12/28/2016 I'd say that it will likely reclaim its throne as the top-selling media franchise of 2016.
I assume you mean the bd/DVD for Gold so that will be counted in the 2017 rankings not 2016.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
When I say top-selling media franchise of 2016 I'm referring to the entire calendar year of 2016, not the arbitrary dates of 12/20/15 to 12/11/16.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Weird that it doesn't count film tickets. Your Name would utterly destroy if it did. But anyway, yeah, that's a really weird omission.. Confused
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
it's kinda sobering to see how much money Your Name made. I mean, you have high class franchises making not even half of the revenue Your Name garnered during it's theatrical run of about 3 month what these well established, top tier franchises can make in a year. It's just crazy.

Also, I could have sworn I read an article published here about how the city that the film is depicting gained a revenue boost of about 10 billion in the past 3 months and how they where selling exclusive Sake, charms and merch from Your Name. Is that being calculated into this or not because seeing the list and where Your Name is really makes me thing they omitted not just theatrical run revenue but possible other merch sales.

Hell the light novel for Your Name sold 1 million copies and if each copy sold at 1000 yen than that could account for 1 billion yen of the 2.7 that is stated in the list. Something seems really off about this. I'm very suspicious of the criteria that was used to make this list.
HikariGo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
I thought Detective Conan was a bit low on this list, but then I realised it excluded box office sales.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Glad to see idolmaster that high up without game sales.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
it's kinda sobering to see how much money Your Name made. I mean, you have high class franchises making not even half of the revenue Your Name garnered during it's theatrical run of about 3 month what these well established, top tier franchises can make in a year. It's just crazy.

^Love Live or One Piece would still be higher than Your Name in terms of revenue if they counted the sales from the mobile game or merchandise. Love Live! reportedly makes 42.3 billion yen per year while ONE PIECE at 28.9 billion yen.

Source:http://yusaani.com/l-ra/t-ra/lovelive/2015/09/19/194023/
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Transformers is not on the list! Someone needs to step in and fix that because it really needs a massive overhaul.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
LOVE LIVE WILLS IT!

Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
FWIW total units were down 7,512,690,468, or 7% on last year. All the top 10 franchises from last year remained in the chart this year, with only two new entries in the top 10 for 2016. Only five other franchises from the 2015 list charted this year. Of those recurring franchises, only Love Live, Idolmaster & Detective Conan saw their sales increase. The highest charting new entry was, of course, Mr Osomatsu. The biggest faller (that's still on the chart) was Seven Deadly Sins, from no.3 in 2015 to no.16 this year. No franchises charted with less than 2 billion last year, whereas nine did this year.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

^Love Live or One Piece would still be higher than Your Name in terms of revenue if they counted the sales from the mobile game or merchandise. Love Live! reportedly makes 42.3 billion yen per year while ONE PIECE at 28.9 billion yen.

Source:http://yusaani.com/l-ra/t-ra/lovelive/2015/09/19/194023/

Well, if you factor in international box office and merch sales in "home" town/city that the film is based in (fanchised Sake, Charms, etc), Your Name already has out performed them.

Just take the 21 billion yen box office in just japan and then take china's box office of 9 billion yen and Thailand. Then take the sales of the 1 million Novels. Then add to that a yet to be made Physical release and then add the 21 other counties it will be released (including proper release in USA). You will find that you quickly surpass any of the franchise on the list.

That is what is so crazy about it, this is just ONE film, which is out shining top tier franchises in it's field. It just puts things into perspective.

Also, I use international revenue because this is only about how much money they franchises make, not how much they make from a specific source. Love Live has little to no presence internationally, thus once you add in their international revenue it hardly makes a difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3