• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Edge Network to Launch Weekly Anime Block

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Desrt Punk would fit better on Adult Swim, but at least it's getting attention.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
That STARS is getting anything is nice to see.

They've been putzing around with their anime lineup for quite some time (anyone notice that not a lot of new stuff has been on their lineup lately, and a lot of series they used to carry IN ADDITION TO their current lineup is now off-air?).

Now, they just need to expand it to their additional channels a bit more Smile
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they're showing new stuff FINALLY!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
I'm glad they're showing new stuff FINALLY!
The Click will be 100x happier than any of us could ever be.

I wonder if this is based on the success of the Ani-Monday block on Sci-Fi or just a general "oh, hey, we haven't aired anything new in a while. We've got some spare money lying around, so lets spend it." Either way or if something entirely different triggered it, I'm just glad to hear that more anime will be on more channels. There have to be some people who stumble across shows on TV, then start getting interested in anime in general.

Wandering into one of the first showings of Blood: The Last Vampire on TV helped me to get into anime. (Though I think Laura Bailey's video game role of Rayne in Blood Rayne did more, since that got me to buy Gunslinger Girl blind.)

I wonder when we might hear about more IFC showings of anime. Personally, I'm hoping that when Gunslinger Girl's second season gets licensed, it might go on there after a rerun of the first season. That would drum up some extra buzz for the new season.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Was this formerly known as Starz action? They showed anime all the time. I remember it wasn't uncommon to pop in a 6 Hr Blank tape, and in like two nights have it filled with anime.
Sommerstars8o8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Thats awesome i have dish Network and i have the whole starz package now i need to figure out hawaii time
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So they just moved Animidnight from Encore Action to Starz Edge. I'm pretty sure Encore and Starz are owned by the same company.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
So how can Starz and Sci Fi have dual ownership over Solid State Society?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Basic vs. premium cable?

Hey, I'll get to see it sans blur. I don't see the problem here. As for Starz, it seems they moved the block from Encore Action to the former Starz Black channel, which is a bit higher up on the dial for Starz. I think they went and saw two things-

Sci Fi's doing pretty well with their anime.

People want an alternative to Adult Swim.

So they picked up the ball and ran with it. Now hopefully they can't get the next part of Karas (Encore Action aired the Prophecy)
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
What about the other networks, like Encore WAM? They haven't aired a new show in months! Well, whatever, at least I get to see GitS:SSS! But what is up with Adult Swim? They've aired the whole series, so why not finish it off with the movie?
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Starz Edge is part of Starz Pak, which includes all the Starz Channels and sometimes the Encore channels as well (it matters how your cable/satellite has it all set up, I think) and is not the same channel as Encore Action. That said, I wouldn't write off anime on Encore Action or Encore Wam! Starz has never shown any problems with running Anime on multiple channels they own. Also, Starz Edge is usually part of the higher priced package that has regular Starz in it, while Encore is digital basic in many areas (like my own cable). Someone needs to go over and go through the Starz and Encore sites to see if anything else new has been added (they have pdf files of their schedules but there online system often shows programming farther along than the pdfs do). [BTW, this is someone needs to verse myself because I don't have time to dig through there at the moment. I'll try and go over later tonight, though]

As for Desert Punk - no way in h e double l was that show ever going to air on Adult Swim. If AS's S&P thinks Full Metal Panic S1 has too much fanservice in it (and supposedly this is one reason they wouldn't pick that show up), Desert Punk would give them a coronary Shocked .
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:
So how can Starz and Sci Fi have dual ownership over Solid State Society?

Manga Entertainment, which has the license for Solid State Society, is a unit of Starz Media. The Sci Fi Channel's AniMonday block broadcasts ME titles via a deal negotiated with Starz that allows them to do so.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I wonder when we might hear about more IFC showings of anime. Personally, I'm hoping that when Gunslinger Girl's second season gets licensed, it might go on there after a rerun of the first season. That would drum up some extra buzz for the new season.

Hey, once upon a time, on one of my very first posts here, I mentioned that I found out that IFC would be airing new anime series in 2008. However, there is no official news release from them about this. This is what happened. I was watching Basilisk on IFC and I went on the Internet and found out about IFC website message board. I registered and posted a comment saying thanks for airing anime on TV. The message board administrator, who I would strongly assume is an employee of IFC, replied and said thanks! And we will be airing 3 new anime series on IFC in 2008! But we can’t tell you what they are. Sorry! Wait and see… So now, you heard this unconfirmed piece of news from me again.

Although, considering that Basilisk and Samurai 7 were Gonzo properties, what company would IFC probably go with? Hmmm, easy guess, isn’t it… Wink
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Horray! Finally, the FMA movie (although I'm being cautiously optimistic since there seems to be rather mixed feelings about it among those who have seen it)! I am surprised AS didn't pick it up though, since it had run the series.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Starz Edge is part of Starz Pak, which includes all the Starz Channels and sometimes the Encore channels as well (it matters how your cable/satellite has it all set up, I think) and is not the same channel as Encore Action.

Starz and Encore are owned by Liberty Media Corp. according to this website.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2