• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation: Black Butler Season 1 to 'Leave Funimation For Good'

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Aw
My heart always drops hearing Funimation shows going away. Sad to see this go. Time to spend money!
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
damn good thing I got it today when I did
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
If this applies to streaming, I may need to get around to watching this soon. Though you would think CR would mention something if it did apply to streaming.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
It sucks, but sadly it can't be too unexpected. With it being an Aniplex title, it was only a matter of time before Funi did announced their license was expiring and they wouldn't be able to renew it.

Thankfully, I already have the original LE set for Season 1. I should maybe double-dip on getting the Blu-Ray version so it'll match the rest of my collection, but it's not something I'm desperate to get before the license expires. Or at least, I don't believe that I should get desperate for it.
ShounnickMD

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
Wow...it's been a nearly a decade or so, no? Always sad to see titles of this popularity go.

Last edited by ShounnickMD on Sun May 07, 2017 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
The show's most definitely not in my wheelhouse, but it always sucks to see Aniplex holding yet another license hostage. "Nope, you can't renew it, but we don't believe in the long tail of the market, so we're going to do jack shit with it ourselves!"
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Time for me to purchase a bunch of these volumes, hold them up for a bit, then sell them off at higher prices. Done it with FMAB, I can do it again with BB.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Time for me to purchase a bunch of these volumes, hold them up for a bit, then sell them off at higher prices. Done it with FMAB, I can do it again with BB.
...yOU.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
Whis-pur wrote:
Aw
My heart always drops hearing Funimation shows going away. Sad to see this go. Time to spend money!

Yeah. Aniplex forcing another show out of print that Funi would keep in print for people to enjoy when future fans discover it existed? SHOCKING. Sad

This reminds me I'm going to need to get the other releases, only picked up season 1 so far.
CultObsession

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
I swear, if Aniplex of America was an individual person rather than a company it'd take everything in me to resist the urge to throttle it to death. This one bothers me more than the previous shows they've barred Funimation from renewing the license for, though. Because whereas Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Back, Baccano, and Birdy the Mighty are all franchises that have pretty much run their natural course at this point, Black Butler is still ongoing. What is Aniplex going to do with every future installment? what about the Book of the Atlantic movie? Are they only going to give Funimation the license for a year or two and then yank it away from them just so that any new installment in the franchise gets dubbed? Beyond just their prices, I hate how Aniplex operates as this cynical entity that puts in the bare minimum and only treats their anime and anime fans well insofar as they're able to benefit the company. Whatever passion anyone involved in their operation may have for anime and the community surrounding it, it doesn't show through to me in anything I've seen come out of them.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whatever passion anyone involved in their operation may have for anime and the community surrounding it, it doesn't show through to me in anything I've seen come out of them.
Emphasis Mine.

That's the key here, Community. Anime fandom is a Community, even more so than many other parts of fandom. Communities work together for their shared goals, they seek fairness and a common good. And one crucial thing, Communities have long memories. Very Long Memories. Businesses that alienate a Community that they depend on to any significant degree don't have anyone to blame but themselves if they eventually end up in difficult situations.

Mark Gosdin
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
They say that like the releases won't also be sold after the rights expire... Rolling Eyes
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
And, according to The OFFICIAL "Expiring Aniplex Titles" Master List, we get to do this again in a couple months for Angel Beats! and Night Raid 1931, when their rights expire.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
It sucks, but sadly it can't be too unexpected. With it being an Aniplex title, it was only a matter of time before Funi did announced their license was expiring and they wouldn't be able to renew it.

yeah it sucks, it's like Aniplex are just getting back the titles funi made popular so they can make more money

on aside note IF Sony buy funimation that would mean they own both funi and Aniplex so maybe funi will get some of these titles back
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:02 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
yeah it sucks, it's like Aniplex are just getting back the titles funi made popular so they can make more money

If that were the case then I can't imagine why Aniplex would license Book of the Atlantic to FUNimation. That said, I think the circumstances behind this may be more complicated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3