• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DIVE!! TV Anime to Stream Exclusively on Amazon Prime Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, assuming Amazon USA gets it too, we might have to endure double-paywall anime strike a bit longer...

Oh should I say...much longer...
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw this coming ever since Amazon got exclusive streaming rights from the Noitamina block Laughing Hopefully Amazon doesn't go for Altair and Welcome to the Ballroom, but I'll be pessimistic and assume they will.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I expect this will only get worse, by now Amazon has been made to be aware of how much this annoys the very people that they hoped to attract. It's an impressive feat to take someone, like me, who's been a satisfied Prime customer for years and turn them so completely off. The clock ticks until October when my Prime subscription renews. I'm sure Amazon wouldn't miss me, but I'm also sure that Wal-Mart Online would welcome me with open arms.

Mark Gosdin
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I saw this coming ever since Amazon got exclusive streaming rights from the Noitamina block Laughing Hopefully Amazon doesn't go for Altair and Welcome to the Ballroom but I'll be pessimistic and assume they will.

Crying or Very sad
MoeTAW

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Ohh god, I just hope that CR will get Ballroom & Altair since the i liked the source material and the staff announced for both has really raised my expectations.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I expect this will only get worse, by now Amazon has been made to be aware of how much this annoys the very people that they hoped to attract.

You presume, entirely without basis to do so, that the number of people annoyed is a noticeable fraction of those watching. Let alone anything but the most microscopic percentage of Prime customers.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
I guess this confirms that Amazon's Noitamina deal is longer than up through Spring like originally suspected. I wonder how long they are going to keep this up...
SHD

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
Fantastic, one more potentially popular show made unavailable subbed for non-US residents. If I hear one more whine about "but but but piracy"...

I really wonder if the people on the Japanese side are aware of how much Amazon limits the potential international audience for their shows, and how much this affects the shows' profile and their profitability in the long run, and if yes whether they're just too busy rolling around in the license fees to care. I know that streaming revenues are only a tiny slice of the overall pie, and that Amazon can afford to pay ridiculous amounts of money for these rights, but still, this is just so incredibly counterintuitive.

DerekL1963 wrote:
You presume, entirely without basis to do so, that the number of people annoyed is a noticeable fraction of those watching. Let alone anything but the most microscopic percentage of Prime customers.

Franky, I'd like to see what percentage of Prime customers are also Anime Strike subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was less successful than expected.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

It's entirely possible that the percentages are very small, however when you have multiple millions of customers subscribed to Prime then a very small percentage could still run into the 10's or 100's of thousands. That can still amount to a headache or an embarrassment for Amazon. They don't succeed by ignoring people, not in the retail business they don't.

Mark Gosdin
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
I saw this coming ever since Amazon got exclusive streaming rights from the Noitamina block Laughing Hopefully Amazon doesn't go for Altair and Welcome to the Ballroom, but I'll be pessimistic and assume they will.

I have no idea who will get Altair, but I would expect Welcome to the Ballroom to be licensed by Ponycan USA. So it would likely be on Crunchyroll or Netflix.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

It's entirely possible that the percentages are very small, however when you have multiple millions of customers subscribed to Prime then a very small percentage could still run into the 10's or 100's of thousands. That can still amount to a headache or an embarrassment for Amazon. They don't succeed by ignoring people, not in the retail business they don't.

No, they don't succeed by ignoring people. However, they also don't succeed by overreacting to scary sounding absolute numbers rather than proportionally to percentages. (And I seriously doubt 'hundreds of thousands' dropped Prime entirely over this, despite the heat and light generated in the amine community over this.)

There are three numbers, all of which are unknown to us, in play here. The first (overemphasized in the anime community) is the number of people who dropped Prime entirely. The second (ignored by the anime community, or groundlessly assumed to be practically non-existent) is the number of Prime subscribers who ponied up for Strike. The third (ditto) is the number of new subscribers to Prime who also ponied up for Strike. (And setting aside the assumption in the anime community that people in the first category are lost to Amazon entirely.)

Not to mention the unknown of the length of the noitaminA deal, and it's impacts.

And there's another factor, fairly unique to Amazon, at play as well - Amazon doesn't overreact to short term numbers. (Or more correctly, they rarely react to them at all.) One of the things that many don't grasp (despite over two decades of evidence) is that Jeff Bezos and Amazon are in it for the long haul and act accordingly. The earliest I'd expect any reaction from them would be the Fall 2017 season.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Franky, I'd like to see what percentage of Prime customers are also Anime Strike subscribers. I wouldn't be surprised if it was less successful than expected.

According to the last interview with someone from Amazon, they've had more sign ups than expected. So it woudl appear that you are incorrect.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
SHD wrote:

According to the last interview with someone from Amazon, they've had more sign ups than expected. So it woudl appear that you are incorrect.

I'm sure the number of Prime customers who are also anime fans, is pretty small, so the number of Prime subscribers who are also Strike subscribers will indeed be pretty small. But it seems like they are making more than enough headway to consider this a success. I kind of doubt, however, that there are very many people who are signing up for Prime solely to get a Strike subscription.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
SHD wrote:

I'm sure the number of Prime customers who are also anime fans, is pretty small, so the number of Prime subscribers who are also Strike subscribers will indeed be pretty small. But it seems like they are making more than enough headway to consider this a success. I kind of doubt, however, that there are very many people who are signing up for Prime solely to get a Strike subscription.

The Amazon Channels concept isn't so much to get more people to sign up for Prime, though I'm sure they wouldn't mind additional subscribers. The primary purpose of their Channels is to offer additional services to their existing Prime subscribers, of which a rather significant percentage are considered "cord cutters". Getting existing Prime subscribers to sign up for some of the various channels they offer gives them more reason to stick around, and ties them more into the Amazon ecosystem.

It's also important to remember that overall, Prime is a money looser for Amazon. They spend a ton of money on "free shipping", acquiring content for streaming, producing original content, and all the other perks it includes. They make money off the Prime Subscribers by, hopefully, selling them more products and services. Even if Strike never makes a ton of money, Amazon may keep it running as long as it hits whatever subscriber metrics they are looking for.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
^I agree with you. Though I've had discussions with many who believe that the double paywall exists because they are trying to encourage more people to sign up for Prime. Not letting people just get a Strike subscription is certainly one way to do that. It also might work as a deterrent for people who might have been thinking about dropping Prime, but will now keep it because it has the added benefit of giving them access to "pay for" exclusive anime. I must say that it does seem like a potentially valid thought process. Otherwise opening up Strike to a larger audience by making it entirely separate from Prime does make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1