• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Phantom Thief Jeanne Creator Tanemura Celebrates 20 Years with Art Exhibition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I adore Tanemura's work. Full Moon is an all-time favourite of mine, and Phantom Thief Jeanne is such a blast - a wonderful mix of the Magical Girl and Phantom Thief tropes.

She is also just a great artist who has a fantastic and distinctive visual design that stands out from many other shojou artists. It's awesome that she's getting to celebrate 20 years of making manga.

I just find it really funny that even this article conveniently glosses over the existence of Gentlemen's Alliance Cross. I mean, I have issues with the way that the series ended, but it was a pretty good series overall. Surely it deserves some recognition.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Her art certainly is pretty, but everyone looks so similiar I have a hard time telling them apart.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Her art certainly is pretty, but everyone looks so similiar I have a hard time telling them apart.

Same, I think there was a sidebar thing in on of her manga (can't remember if it was Jeanne or Time Stranger). With everyone lined up, you could tell that there were subtle differences between main characters--different eye shapes and slightly different jawlines--but I do think Tanemura's work suffers from some kind of "same face" syndrome.

Then again, maybe it's a design issue; I find that a lot of her works share the same kind of design sensibilities in either contemporary or magical girl/frilly fashion.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been a huge fan of Arinacchi for a long time, and am glad to see her still going. I do wish she'd have another huge hit like Jeanne or Full Moon in one of the major magazines, but times change~. (And it's cool to see a josei by her!)

I hope Arinacchi will keep making manga (and doujin) for some time~.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The designs are VERY cute, but just as well with a limited exceptions the heroines look way too similar in the promotional shot, aside from facial similarities they also seem to be drawn in a manner that makes them appear to the same body frame, the two that stick out from the group are the two in brown as the rest are drawn in an all too similar light pastel (doesn't help the default skin tone is also matching the cream-like dress coloring).

It is a shame because they are all in very different dresses and the rest of my brain is buzzing about the characters looking too similar to one another.
everapril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I've loved her work for a long time! When I had to take a religious confirmation name in high school I picked "Jeanne" ostensibly for Joan of Arc but mostly because I love Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Recently, I love 31 idream (Idol Dreams). Since I'm almost 30 myself, I could identify with the main character and to have it drawn by an artist I was really into as a teen made it all the more poignant.

I think her characters have started to look more varied, as you can pick out from the article's image comparing the older series to newer ones. To be fair, I remember reading in a side bar (or some interview?) that she was essentially self-taught and lamented not having an art background. I don't believe she worked as an assistant either before her debut at 19.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1