• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters Anime Film Previewed in 1st Teaser Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Polygon gonna Polygon. Can't wait.
Draconix814

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
When the seiyuu consist of Tomokazu (freaking) Sugita, Mamoru (freaking) Miyano and Kana Hanazawa, YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A GOOD FILM. But when you see GEN (F****ING) OROBUCHI doing the script and the director of Ajin taking the lead, YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A GREAT FILM! All those years of playing Godzilla Unleashed on PS2 back when I was a little lad, now being adapted by my favorite names in the anime industry... I'm going to cry...
xMemorie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Draconix814 wrote:
When the seiyuu consist of Tomokazu (freaking) Sugita, Mamoru (freaking) Miyano and Kana Hanazawa, YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A GOOD FILM. But when you see GEN (F****ING) OROBUCHI doing the script and the director of Ajin taking the lead, YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A GREAT FILM! All those years of playing Godzilla Unleashed on PS2 back when I was a little lad, now being adapted by my favorite names in the anime industry... I'm going to cry...

All the voice actors you mentioned are the most annoying and overused in the whole industry. Most of shows Miyano plays in are absolute garbage. Just saying.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Was looking forward to it and now i learn that it will freakin CG well thanks for nothin idiots >_>
the green death

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned with the CGI but honestly that looked a lot better than I expected.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Another cel-shaded 3D CGI anime. I simply cannot get over how off-kilter that looks. It's just not a good look for anime in general, especially when they aim for that low frame-rate animation. I don't mind smooth, high-quality CGI anime that doesn't try to ape the look of traditional 2D anime (FFVII: Advent Children comes to mind), but CGI too often is just poorly animated when it comes to the character animations, and the cel-shaded look often doesn't look right at all.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
Ugh. Another cel-shaded 3D CGI anime. I simply cannot get over how off-kilter that looks. It's just not a good look for anime in general, especially when they aim for that low frame-rate animation. I don't mind smooth, high-quality CGI anime that doesn't try to ape the look of traditional 2D anime (FFVII: Advent Children comes to mind), but CGI too often is just poorly animated when it comes to the character animations, and the cel-shaded look often doesn't look right at all.

Well, the last movie of Studio Polygon, BLAME, was a huge improvement over KNIGHTS OF SIDONIA and looked just great so I'm quite optimistic their GODZILLA movie won't disappoint visually.
Fruit Punch Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The CGI is unsurprisingly far from perfect, but I can see the potential in this project. I don't have a lot of faith in Urobutchi, but I'll give him a chance this time. The guy does take risks at the very least.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Martin G. wrote:
Well, the last movie of Studio Polygon, BLAME, was a huge improvement over KNIGHTS OF SIDONIA and looked just great so I'm quite optimistic their GODZILLA movie won't disappoint visually.
It was. Even Ajin was a step up from Sidonia. I just wish they would stop with the 12fps or show scenes that involved more weight and movement.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Polygon gonna Polygon. Can't wait.

This, completely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1