Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Clean Freak! Aoyama kun


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 768
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I dont understand how more people haven't been talking about this show. Its definitely in the running for best comedy this season. To anyone that has read the manga do we actually get to see how Aoyama cooks his food?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrowLia



Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Posts: 5397
Location: Mexico
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Dropped it at episode 2, I found Moka insufferable and the jokes didn't really feel fresh. This type of humor really has to go all the way to really work but this just felt really flat. And Moka was really terrible, I hated every moment she was on screen, except perhaps the baseball bat joke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
pauladls



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 197
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Dropped it at episode 2, I found Moka insufferable and the jokes didn't really feel fresh. This type of humor really has to go all the way to really work but this just felt really flat. And Moka was really terrible, I hated every moment she was on screen, except perhaps the baseball bat joke


Same, dropped it at episode 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rubyleaf



Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
I don't really get why you guys hate Moka so much TBH. I was skeptical myself at first, but my doubts quickly vanished when she was established as a kind of unreliable narrator right in her first flashback (describing herself as timid while the flashback showed her sitting in the window ignoring the teacher yelling at her). I think she has potential, there's more to her than meets the eye! I just hope she'll live up to that in the story, that's my biggest fear.

That aside, why has nobody called this series a sports anime parody yet? I mean, to me it seems pretty obvious that it is one. Takechi is basically a walking parody of the Arrogant Handsome Rival™ who looks down on the main team except for their ace, the "I chose this school for a reason" stock phrase got spoofed right in the first episode, and episode 3 parodied the "gratuitous emotional flashback during big showdown" trope. To say nothing of the ending making fun of old shounen sports series... And that's only the beginning! I hope there'll be more parodying of sports anime tropes, because as an avid sports anime fan I totally love it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrockfreak



Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 112
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Dropped it at episode 2, I found Moka insufferable and the jokes didn't really feel fresh. This type of humor really has to go all the way to really work but this just felt really flat. And Moka was really terrible, I hated every moment she was on screen, except perhaps the baseball bat joke


Also dropped it at episode 2, i wanted to like it and to a certain extent i did but the jokes just were not clicking and the whole cleaning thing was being overdone already and it got a bit annoying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4834
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The comments suggest that ANN is wasting resources in a show that looked like crap since the first episode. I hope ANN considers doing only 23-25 daily streaming reviews per season going forward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
SlamMan



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the negative comments mainly say they dropped it at episode 2. By the time the reviews were decided I believe this show had already gone past the second episode. Thus those who voted for it are not those who dropped it.

To actually talk about the episode review: I disagree about Narita's logic about people using it against him as shallow logic. Aoyama-kun is a star athlete and can get away with almost anything thus his germophobia is seen as a quirk. Narita is a loner so it would probably be seen as him thinking everyone else is disgusting. Some of his classmates would take offence. That's usually how high school works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zrnzle500
Subscriber



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3763
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The comments suggest that ANN is wasting resources in a show that looked like crap since the first episode. I hope ANN considers doing only 23-25 daily streaming reviews per season going forward.


It isn't the best this season but it definitely isn't the worst. Certainly the comedy hasn't connected with everyone but that doesn't mean everyone watching has felt the same about it. The reviewer has been amenable enough so I think the review can add value with criticism fans of the show can connect with if not agree fully. You may not like the show, but there were enough voters who wanted to see it reviewed, and as one of those voters, it has been satisfactory so far.

There are definitely some crap shows that have gone through, but that has been at the voters discretion, both those that it wasn't apparent that it would be so bad and hatewatches like Hand Shakers. The latter (and ones that start as the former and become the latter) are fun so I don't mind them taking the time to review them. The ones that I thought were a mistake to review (or at least continue to review) were ones that were flawed in boring ways (Sagrada Reset) or the reviewer was actively suffering through reviewing the show, but those are few and far between and this show is not one of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9858
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The comments suggest that ANN is wasting resources in a show that looked like crap since the first episode. I hope ANN considers doing only 23-25 daily streaming reviews per season going forward.

Do you have stock in ANN or something? How does their "wasting resources" impact your enjoyment of the series you like? It's not like you have to read all the reviews. If they reviewed every series each season, how would that affect you at all?

Episode 4

It sounds to me like Lauren's main complaints are that the show refuses to fit neatly into one genre and introduces new aspects of the character. I don't see the problem with either.

I agree with Rubyleaf's opinion that this is a parody, but not just of sports anime, though that's the main hook. We got nods to Food Wars, Flowers of Evil, Conan, and RPGs (Netoge in particular?) in just this episode, and we've already seen salutes to Yowapeda, Dokuro-Chan, and Shin-Chan (not to mention all the soccer anime), and yes, Sakamoto as well. Rather than a sports comedy, this seems to be a comedy that takes a swipe at everything, its parody bones hidden under the skin of a soccer anime. I'll be really disappointed if they don't go after Ten-Count before this is over. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4834
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think the review can add value with criticism fans of the show can connect with if not agree fully. You may not like the show, but there were enough voters who wanted to see it reviewed, and as one of those voters, it has been satisfactory so far.

I am not denying that there is value in reviews and discussions. And I am not basing my previous response in dislike for the how. I am just questioning if it makes sense to cover a show that not enough people seem to care about. About two years ago Jacob Chapman had a feature about music in anime and video games. I really liked that feature, but it was shorty after canceled because there was not enough fan interest. I assume that that cancelled feature means that ANN has to carefully allocate their resources.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
zrnzle500
Subscriber



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3763
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I am not denying that there is value in reviews and discussions. And I am not basing my previous response in dislike for the how. I am just questioning if it makes sense to cover a show that not enough people seem to care about. About two years ago Jacob Chapman had a feature about music in anime and video games. I really liked that feature, but it was shorty after canceled because there was not enough fan interest. I assume that that cancelled feature means that ANN has to carefully allocate their resources.


Enough people voted for it for them to think enough people were interested in it, and even if they are wrong it will be gone in two months anyhow. I have no idea how many are following this review relative to the other reviews, but I don't think seeing a few people say they dropped the show (a decision I totally respect) indicates that the following isn't there. I doubt it is near the top, but I don't know that it would be the first to get the axe. Anyways, this is moot for this show as it already has a review and there have been no reviews cut mid cours AFAIK, at the very least no single cours shows that have been. I don't think it is our place to tell them exactly how many shows they ought to review, but you are free to disagree with any individual show being reviewed. I certainly have. I just don't find your reasons very compelling as I don't think that it "looked like crap since the first episode."

Oh and I remember The Set List. I guess I was one of the few that followed it, and it is unfortunate that it was axed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Angel M Cazares
Subscriber



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4834
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
^ I will agree to disagree, but I will say that the Clean Freak reviews thread has few comments. That might not mean much, but few comments seem to indicate low interest. And I suppose I should stop being the resources police because that is making me too unpopular.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
zrnzle500
Subscriber



Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3763
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^ I will agree to disagree, but I will say that the Clean Freak reviews thread has few comments. That might not mean much, but few comments seem to indicate low interest. And I suppose I should stop being the resources police because that is making me too unpopular.


Comedies tend to get relatively few comments, both the popular and unpopular. New Game actually has fewer comments even excluding our discussion (5 as of posting) and I don't think anyone thinks that that show has low interest, given that it was one of the most anticipated shows, and the reception has been positive since then. Though generally comments do indicate interest in the show to some extent at least, though we are not privy to the most accurate measure as pertains the interest on this site (the number of views for the reviews).

If you go into a review thread and say that the show isn't good enough to deserve a review, you will get pushback, often less politely.

This has run its course so I will also agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9858
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was probably the most interesting this series has been since the first episode. I kinda liked Odagiri, and it's nice that she doesn't have to be a drooling idiot to explain her being unaware of the rumors - she just has a different perspective and different priorities. The rumor mill doesn't interest her.

I honestly don't know why I'm still watching this. I guess at this point I'm just waiting to see if they ever do anything plot-wise, because I'm certainly not here for the non-existent humor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 9858
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

"As long as I can be buried next to her." Yep, I'd say Umeya knows how to play the long game alright. It's a rather odd thing to say in a country that cremates most of its dead though. Either way, if she never comes around in his lifetime, it could be tricky getting her husband to agree to include him in the family plot.

Before someone accuses me of taking this way to seriously (assuming anyone is still here), I'm not taking it seriously at all. Just having fun playing around with the implications. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group