• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Legend of the Galactic Heroes is Worth Your Time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there will be a physical release?
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be a physical release?

Pretty sure, Sentai intends to do a physical release. The question is when. I sincerely doubt an old show like this will get a dub but I can dream.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I tried to get into the show a few time, I really like space opera and like the idea of a show being more detail orientated rather than drama. But the pacing just killed it for me every time. It wasn't that there weren't big space battle every week, but rather that I felt like they were just stretching for time, you could easily combine many scenes/episodes without losing anything.

If they're going to spend more money on this show, a director cut would be far better (say 50-60 episodes) rather than a dub.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
I read the first three novels and the Anime does improve on fleshing out some of the secondary characters better than the original novels in particular Hildegard, Frederica, and Walter. It's also kind of scary how prescient and yet evergreen the series is about Politics. While seeing some scenes animated makes them even more chilling.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I think I'd comment on only two things about LOGH:

Regarding history, it is the most historiographically (not historically) accurate anime I've ever seen. Yang Wenli does not speak like a history buff (i.e. babble about what you'd call "historical facts"), he speaks like an actual historian, who studies the present with the same passion as he has studied the past. And I really love that you can tell the small details in the show to make it clear that the stance of the author is "It's complicated", rather than "blisfully ignorant" which I profoundly hate.

In visual terms, the show has its peaks, but it has a lot of disappointing downs. Dialogue is supported by everything but it's visual presentation, and after a while it is boring, especially when the outfits aren't nearly as striking as the faces or the voices. I believe the show takes a stronger artistic direction by what's also the less interesting part, the last one, which has WAY more interesting imagery and presentation, but also the lousiest and weirdest part of the story.

Also I believe that the fights never look interesting except when they fight using like the little mobile units, those have a lot of dynamic and cool moments. The idea of just blue lines as lasers is hideous and the fact that a plain looking boring fight are the first two episodes is incredibly disappointing. If it was available, I'd recommend much more the Overture to a New War movie as an entry point, that movie presents the show far better.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Will you be doing weekly streaming reviews for the show? I feel like that'd be a great way to engage the potential viewer base with the show.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I watched a lot of this show with friends decades ago. Won't watch it streaming, but will buy the DVD's or BD's when they come out.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
You didn't answer one of the most used reasons not to watch it: I don't like political intrigue.
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Having just recently finished the 110 episode series I think the show is definitely dated. It's definitely not for everyone. But it is very good, and one of a kind.

It's a very good example of eastern science fiction. I think if you approach LOGH with that angle you will thoroughly enjoy it. If you go into it open-minded you will also enjoy it, because everything about the show is quite solid, even by today's standards. It's just old, and you can't get away with some of the creative decisions it made if they were made in 2017. The art and animation isn't even the problem, but just some of the "show, don't tell" camp will have a field day...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You didn't answer one of the most used reasons not to watch it: I don't like political intrigue.

I hope you realize years from now how nonsensical your answer is...

The basis of drama IS conflict.

I'm sorry but with no conflict you have NO DRAMA but sheer boredom.

Political intrigue IS the most basic kind of conflict!
It's not just ideological/philosophical although that is generally what 80-odd percent of it is... and it's NOT always boring.
Political intrigue is the basis of most of Gundam and many, many of the classic sci-fi anime made before the 1990s when, ya know, it wasn't all about harems and emo teenagers (although emo teenagers is a classic way to slam Neon Genesis Evangelion and there's a lot more to that show than Shinji's feelings of worthlessness and the shared depression with the emotionally disturbed Asuka).

Other than that, I would urge you to open your mind and NOT be so quick to condemn everything made before the 1990s!
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I tried to give it a chance, I started chronologically with that short movie that takes place farthest back. But despite the protag liking the girl, what the hell was up with his yaoi-like scenes with his friend curling his hair with his hands? That was so uncomfortable. I don't know if the whole show is like that but it's off-putting enough.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I hope you realize years from now how nonsensical your answer is...

The basis of drama IS conflict.

I'm sorry but with no conflict you have NO DRAMA but sheer boredom.

Political intrigue IS the most basic kind of conflict!
It's not just ideological/philosophical although that is generally what 80-odd percent of it is... and it's NOT always boring.
Political intrigue is the basis of most of Gundam and many, many of the classic sci-fi anime made before the 1990s when, ya know, it wasn't all about harems and emo teenagers (although emo teenagers is a classic way to slam Neon Genesis Evangelion and there's a lot more to that show than Shinji's feelings of worthlessness and the shared depression with the emotionally disturbed Asuka).

Other than that, I would urge you to open your mind and NOT be so quick to condemn everything made before the 1990s!

Not really. The most "basic" conflict are battle shounens which dudes beat the shit out of each other for the short and sweet reason as, "I don't like ya."
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This is like one of these titles that were extremely unique in their vision. Still today is very hard to see anything comparable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing I'd like to see fixed in the LotGH remake, is the overreliance on voice-over narration. There are some episodes in the original series that actually felt as if narrator Yusaku Yara had more lines than any character. However, that would take some really good scriptwriters who could weave the necessary exposition seamlessly through the dialogue.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
What a nice article. I decided to subscribe to HiDive exclusively because of LoGH. It’s taking Sentai some time since it is a really dialogue heavy and long series. At least watching it streaming satiates some of my eagerness for the physical release. LoGH would be so glorious with an English dub but, how expensive I’m sure. I still haven’t been able to convince a military buff and sci-fi geek I know to try the show since they have difficulty with subtitles. I told them there is the audio book version of the novels too though. I’ve been buying the novels in English. The books were actually my first introduction to the story so I hope Haikasoru has seen good sales too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4