• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Alternative Launches on Steam in September

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thanks to Invalidname for the news tip.

Well, I thought this news would be right up somebody's alley, but it transpires that they were aware of it from the outset...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, seems like they're not making either the +18 patch nor the director's cut. Something about it being too small and having other stuff to do.

The comment section on the page is already going bonkers. Anime hyper
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Wow, seems like they're not making either the +18 patch nor the director's cut. Something about it being too small and having other stuff to do.

This is one visual novel kickstarter I decided to forgo so I'm not privy to the details. Do you mean the Steam version will not be patchaple, but the denpasoft version will still be uncut?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

This is one visual novel kickstarter I decided to forgo so I'm not privy to the details. Do you mean the Steam version will not be patchaple, but the denpasoft version will still be uncut?

Me neither tbh, when this came around i was still the usual broke college student. Now I would have dropped 300 bucks easily. But yeah, no official patch
No idea about denpa tbh, but you can go on Kickstarter and read the updates and comments. They're not backer-only.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

From what I've gathered, the original Japanese all-ages versions cut out a sex scene or two, plus a bunch of gory stuff. This version has still cut out the sex scenes (which by all accounts are not that important, yes, yes, censorship blah blah blah) but none of the gory stuff is cut. And, to be honest, if it's just a couple scenes that aren't actually necessary to the plot (and the game still implies or states the scenes happen) I don't really see the issue. They're really behind schedule for everything else, in part because of the 18+ patch for the first game, so putting their resources into getting the Vita versions complete and releasing the other games should take priority over a patch restoring maybe two or three scenes out of a 50 hour game.

To be honest, it's a little weird how hyperfocused people are on the sex scenes. Yes, they are part of the complete picture. However, in all the praise the games get, I have never heard one thing about the sex scenes in Alternative. When they're present, no one cares about them.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:

From what I've gathered, the original Japanese all-ages versions cut out a sex scene or two, plus a bunch of gory stuff. This version has still cut out the sex scenes (which by all accounts are not that important, yes, yes, censorship blah blah blah) but none of the gory stuff is cut. And, to be honest, if it's just a couple scenes that aren't actually necessary to the plot (and the game still implies or states the scenes happen) I don't really see the issue. They're really behind schedule for everything else, in part because of the 18+ patch for the first game, so putting their resources into getting the Vita versions complete and releasing the other games should take priority over a patch restoring maybe two or three scenes out of a 50 hour game.

To be honest, it's a little weird how hyperfocused people are on the sex scenes. Yes, they are part of the complete picture. However, in all the praise the games get, I have never heard one thing about the sex scenes in Alternative. When they're present, no one cares about them.

If you read the comments, you'll know that people want 100% of what they're due, not 99.9% but 100%. Also, minor correction, Alternative is 80h long. The 50h one was Unlimited.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
BTW, even if you have no interest in the series, there's a pretty hilarious 30-sec video posted by the English translation lead, featuring a side-by-side comparison of an opening scene originally dubbed with Japanese voice actors trying to speak English, versus actual American VAs in the new edition. https://twitter.com/enjoievan/status/900443216536784896
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
Did no one do their research? They will have an 18+ patch eventually like with Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Unlimited. Steam has this thing about no sex/nudity in the games on their platform. The backers know about this and are not worried about the patch and already playing a beta release of it. Backers will get the 18+ patch for free but the rest will have to pay extra to get 18+ patch.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Did no one do their research? They will have an 18+ patch eventually like with Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Unlimited. Steam has this thing about no sex/nudity in the games on their platform. The backers know about this and are not worried about the patch and already playing a beta release of it. Backers will get the 18+ patch for free but the rest will have to pay extra to get 18+ patch.

This. The KS just posted that there will indeed be an 18+ patch, but they don't want to dedicate any resources to it now or make any promises, because they have to get something out to the Vita backers, who've now been waiting nearly two years with nothing to show for it (the Vita version of the first game was supposed to come out after the PC version, but they worked too long on the PC director's cut instead, and then had to pull resources into Alternative for PC).

Honestly, ML's H-scenes are few, far between, and not that great, so it's hardly a hill worth dying on. Then again, there's always someone who wants to complain. Last time, it was about the backgrounds going from 4:3 to 16:9 and some being cropped rather than redrawn. Someone really needed to see every window in the building behind the sports field I guess.

EDIT: Update: Steam page is finally up: http://store.steampowered.com/app/449840/MuvLuv_Alternative/
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

Steam dropped the nudity thing for awhile ago
Half the things in new releases these days are shitty titty bait dating sim games
whitesox123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hopefully people bother to pick this one up because its one of the best VN's ever made imo. I can understand the censorship but the sex scenes hit alot harder when you actually see them...well just THAT scene anyway.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
MLA's H-scenes are pretty worthless. Could definitely see it being an improvement without them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
nah, an improvement would be them getting dropped if they were like typemoon sex scenes, but then again, depending on your sense of humour typemoon sex scenes can be glorious.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a game to go with one of my favorite JAM Project songs.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:

Steam dropped the nudity thing for awhile ago
Half the things in new releases these days are shitty titty bait dating sim games

Steam is fine with nudity, but not with outright sex. The best we can get is the tame Kindred Spirits on the Roof.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2