• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while. Time for an updated list. Top 10 favorite anime from each decade! There are too many anime for me to possibly choose between all 700+ without leaving some out. As such, I'll have to set some limitations. First, for the list itself.

1. TV anime only. I will not be including any OVAs, specials, or films.
2. I need to have seen the entire thing. If it is not done or I am currently watching it, I will not include it here. As such, try not to be too sad if I fail to include, say, Magical Girl Raising Project, Kado the Right Answer, Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia, or Cardcaptor Sakura. If, however, the anime has a completed season such as One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Re:Zero, or Konosuba, it's fair game.
3. This is in terms of personal favoritism, not objective quality. Things that I've fallen out of love with but are genuinely great anime, such as Wolf's Rain, Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo, Eureka 7, or Neon Genesis Evangelion will be taking a back seat.

With regard to splitting this by decade, I'll be splitting each list into the following groups...

Pre-1990, 90's, 2000's, 2010's, Long runners/Ongoing Series, Movies, and OVAs.

As for how I plan to separate these by decade, an anime will be placed into the decade when the last episode aired. If an anime started in 2009 but finished in 2011, it's a 2010's show. Also, any show that is 60+ episodes long will go into the category of a Long-runner.

Pre-1990's top 5. For this decade, I'll allow OVAs simply because they were the main source of good anime.

5. Lupin the 3rd - This one might be better suited under Long-Runners, but I feel like the tone stays primarily the same. Whether you watch one episode or the entire thing, you won't gain or lose much. That sounds like a negative statement, but Lupin the 3rd is one of the best anime from the 70's. It has a memorable cast, gags that are at least amusing and at most hilarious, and even if you don't find any of it funny, the relationships are incredibly interesting. Especially the one between Lupin and Zenigata. The fact that the Jack Sparrow-type rogue plays around with Zenigata in the same childish manner as a mischievous child teases a grumpy relative while Zenigata treats Lupin as a serious challenge is always endearing to me. Neither of them would ever kill the other (or anyone else for that matter), and in my opinion, the best episode in the entire series is the one where Zenigata actually captures Lupin and fears that Lupin might ACTUALLY not escape execution. It's the kind of dynamic that I liked in Tom and Jerry. At least, in the cartoons where they're actually friends deep down.

4. Space Pirate Captain Harlock - The main character is epic, inspiring, and just cool as hell. The other characters all play their roles fine, but really, the show is carried by Harlock alone.

3. Mobile Suit Gundam: 0079 - In particular, I think the movie trilogy is great, but the show is alright too. Char and Amuro's rivalry is still one of the strongest rivalries in anime to me. Plus it portrays all its themes and messages about war and child soldiers very well.

2. Gunbuster - I think the ending and the first scene with the titular mech's use both elevate this to a favorite. Not to mention how well it sets the groundwork for Gainax's future projects.

1. Dragonball - Far better than Z in my opinion. The sense of adventure always shined through here. Goku is a great protagonist despite how simple his characterization is. The supporting characters are all great, especially Tien and Master Roshi, and when people die in this show, it feels like a big deal. Despite having the solution in mind when seeing these deaths, every single one (in this original series) has the weight of most great anime tragedies. This wasn't my first anime, but it was the first one I bought on DVD, and the one that solidified my love of anime.

1990's Coming next Post.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hi, hope its ok if i Interrupt... My all time favs: Gode Geas, Clannad, Hakumei & Mikochi, all Ghibli full films who comes out in Germany (fliying Caste, Tororo, Mononoke..), Re: Zero, Nadia (Secret of Blue Water something), GitS (the newest Version), and some Animee where Girls suddenly get an textil allergy *cough*, but no the ,hard stuff´. oh. also spoiler[ Ninja Scroll, the Original ]
P.S. Sorry for forgetting cute Violet Sad Violet Evergarden. Hate: not really, these are only Pixels. Maybe stuff like Power Rangers and Turtles.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Hello and welcome to the forums SomeHero. You can post your favorites anytime you like in this thread, but you need to also include WHY they are your favorites. Otherwise it's just a random list and that does not help promote any real discussion. Thank you.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quote
Well, I've always meant to do one of these, so I guess I will go ahead and do it.

Top 10 Favorite Anime

1. Princess Tutu
    For anyone who has seen my avatar and recognizes it, this probably comes as no surprise. The last 5-6 episodes of each half season are perfect build-ups until the end and have never failed to leave me in tears. While there are many different reasons why I may fall in love with a show, the most important is how much it emotionally affects me. Any show or movie that can bring me to tears or instill strong feelings of hope or inspiration is something that I treasure. PT also has characters that are easy to love, sympathize with, or admire (while I can appreciate well-developed dislikeable characters, my favorites remain those that I like). Additionally, PT has a lot of fairy tale themes, aesthetics, and stories interwoven into its framework, and I've always been a big fan of fairy tales and fantasy. The show is a very well-crafted piece of work that is clear on its themes but also has fun playing around with them. "May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory." Played almost straight in the first half. By the second half, everyone's roles are muddled and they're finding their own happiness by defying "fate" and accepting themselves for who they are. I also strongly identify with the show's aesop: Don't be afraid to be yourself, because you can still do great things and be loved.

2. Yuri!!! on Ice
    Unlike a majority of the shows in this list, I don't consider the show a masterpiece even though I've rated it as such (the last two episodes have several weaknesses that I have mentioned before, one of the most grievous that it wasn't completely emotionally fulfilling). However, as much as people may not agree with me, my ratings aren't in a bubble, and there's more that feeds into it. I fell in love with the characters, I thought the first 10 episodes were of masterpiece quality, and I loved how the romance was handled between Victor and Yuuri (despite the creators being restricted with what they could show, they genuinely felt like they were a romantic couple with how physically and emotionally affectionate they were with one another). But more than just the show itself, my obsession with it is still active 1.5 years later because the fandom is still very active. I have few shows that I love that I can claim are extremely popular, produce a lot of official and fan merchandise, and have a very active fandom that still produce fanfiction, fanart, and analyses/meta. I love fanworks - I gobble that shit up. I have 750+ fanfics bookmarked on AO3, and I'm actively following about 100 that are still being updated. I've spent $1,500+ on just YOI merch (official and fan-produced) alone. But more than just the anime fandom, YOI has gotten me more seriously invested in competitive figure skating. It was always my favorite sport to watch during the winter Olympics, but I only ever had a passing interest. Now, I'm researching on how the sport is scored, training, competitors, and watching every major competition that's available to me. I can recognize the components as people skate them. Whether or not I think YOI rates as highly as others on this list doesn't take away from how much of an impact it has had on my life. So, yeah, it's ranked #2.

3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    Like Princess Tutu, this show has the perfect build-up to a perfect ending that leaves me emotionally satisfied. I still cry during the last three episodes. The sacrifices that Kyouko, Homura, and Madoka make out of love and compassion are uplifting, despite the tragedy. The art style for the witches lairs are some of my favorite and I think the animators did an amazing job blending it in with the character animation. This is a tightly-crafted piece of work, and no scene feels out of place.

4. Whisper of the Heart
    I watched this during a time in my youth when I totally clicked with Shizuku. She's at a time in her life when she needs to make decisions about her future, and she's not entirely certain what she wants to do. She has a talent with writing that she enjoys, but doesn't have the confidence or drive to pursue. And then she meets someone who knows exactly what he wants and passionately works constantly towards that goal, which inspires her to do her best as well. But she gets discouraged in the course of proving to herself that she does have a future in writing, until someone gives her honest compliments and critique. Afterwards, she is able to steel her resolve to continue her dream. I can't claim to have followed the same path that Shizuku followed, though I don't regret my decisions. But even if that isn't my immediate concern anymore, the movie is still inspiring to this day and is arguably my favorite Studio Ghibli film.

5. Millennium Actress
    I love all of Satoshi Kon's works that play with blending imagination and reality, but Millennium Actress is my favorite. I love the blend of reality and cinema and how they become more interwoven as the movie continues. I love how the film focuses on two main characters who are chasing goals that neither are able to achieve, but they walk away in the end fulfilled from the experience. Both of their love stories remain unrequited, but Chiyoko comes to realize that it was the chase that she really loved, and Genya is able to make an important connection with the idol he admired all along. It's a gorgeous, bittersweet ending with the best visual representation I've seen of someone moving on into the afterlife - blasting off on a spaceship, thematically tied to her movie career, on the next big adventure. I am left in tears every time.

6. Kiki's Delivery Service
    Kiki's Delivery Service is probably the first anime I saw that I knew was an anime, though it's unclear since this is around the same time I started watching Sailor Moon and DBZ on Toonami. I first saw it with Disney's dub, and despite watching the Japanese version later and appreciating Miyazaki's vision, the Disney dub is what I fell in love with and most appreciate. This is the most nostalgic selection on my list, having seen it as a pre-teen, which does play a significant portion in my love for it. But like all of Miyazaki's movies, it holds up really well, and I still love it as an adult. As a big lover of cats and current servant to a sassy black cat, perhaps it is telling that Jiji is my favorite character (I have collected several Jiji merch over the years), but that was only cemented because of Phil Hartman's added humor and snark. So it's extremely disappointing to not get any bluray releases that have the original English dub. I can appreciate Miyazaki's vision (Jiji being a representation of Kiki's immaturity and the ending representing Kiki growing up by not being able to talk to Jiji anymore)... but, frankly, if I could talk to Phil Hartman's Jiji, I wouldn't ever want to lose that ability. Her ability to fly again demonstrates a growth and maturity to her character, regardless of her being able to speak to Jiji or not. So, for me, nothing was really lost in the original Disney dub - the message was still there, just with an extra wise-cracking Jiji, which always makes everything 10X better. I'm fine with them including the edited English dub in the bluray releases, but can we please get back the original as an extra track?

7. Kyousougiga
    Family is really important to me, and I love stories that focus on families - healthy, cracked, or broken - that love, support, and fight for one another. What's even better about Kyousougiga is how the main family is composed of adopted and biological children. The series tackles several mature issues - depression, self-hatred, escapism - using the zany, wacky, occasionally contemplative, yet fully emotive style Rie Matsumoto is known for. With both this show and how she handled Blood Blockade Battlefront, further down on this list, she has cemented herself as one of my top favorite directors.

8. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
    It's been a long time since I've watched this show, so I admit that its position on this list is largely due to how strong I felt about it the first several times I watched this show. It was this show that got me interested in super robot shows. I still don't have much interest in real robot or mecha anime, but the over-the-top ridiculousness of super robot anime is right up my alley. Nothing quite matches up to TTGL though, which easily hyped me to the high heavens screaming, "ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWA!!" and then reduced me to sentimental tears only minutes later.

9. Blood Blockade Battlefront
    The addition of anime-original characters, Black and White, is one of the best things that Rie Matsumoto brought to this anime, and their story line being brought to a head in the last two episodes are some of the strongest episodes from this anime (episode 6 makes a really strong case for itself as well). I watched the second season and have read some of the manga, but none of it quite captures what made me fall for the first season. Much like Kyousougiga, Matsumoto's stylistic choices and themes really enhance the anime, and she is 2 for 2 with turning me into a blubbering mess by the end.

10. Mushishi
    My favorite iyashikei anime. Every episode is so soothing, and I love the tranquil atmosphere. Appreciating the small things in life is a major theme, which is enhanced by both its bitter and sweet moments. Not every story has a happy ending. But there's nothing malevolent behind the mushi encounters, just unfortunate circumstances. But the mellow atmosphere helps with coming to terms with the tragedy; and happier episodes mixed within emphasizes that not everything ends poorly. Watching this series feels like working through my depression with a hopeful outcome.

11. BONUS: Favorite anime with kickass female leads
    I had a hard time deciding on the last four to round out the top ten. Ultimately, I chose the ones that emotionally affected me the most (i.e. brought me to tears); but depending upon my mood, I could switch those out with the ones I'm going to list below. A lead female character I can admire or relate to isn't necessary in my entertainment, but it goes a long way to endear itself to me. And that isn't the only reason I loved these shows, but it's definitely a major one. So, listed in alphabetical order...

• Chihayafuru
      I love how singularly-focused Chihaya is towards reaching her dreams. She isn't afraid of taking risks or looking stupid to reach her goals. And, frankly, while her naivete can be annoying, it's also quite awesome how little she's aware of or cares for social norms. In a country that cares so much about how you're perceived in the community, Chihaya is an oddball and breath of fresh air. But other than Chihaya, this is a feel-good, upbeat sports anime for a "sport" I find fascinating. I had no idea what karuta was before this show, but it made me come to really appreciate it and the different strategies that can be used when playing. I love the focus on teamwork and friendship being just as important, if not more than, as winning. I'm also really attached to Chihaya's karuta team, specifically Taichi. Chihaya and Taichi's history together got me really invested in shipping them. Unfortunately, the manga has been wearing down my enthusiasm and there's very little fandom to follow up on. The second season also isn't as good as the first, but still has several things that I loved about the first season. If I hold the first season up as its own separate universe with the knowledge that Chihaya eventually faces the Queen but with the potential for anything in the middle that leads to that point, then I rank the series really high on its own.

• Moribito
      Balsa is awesome. It's rare that you get a show with a lead woman who's in her 30s, which is refreshing. What's also refreshing is her personality and the path she's decided to follow: She's serious, headstrong, pragmatic, and has settled into her lifestyle as a bodyguard. She's a fully realized character who undergoes little growth or change, but it's really nice to have admirable characters like that. I watched Kenshin long before her, but she's my preferred wandering warrior trying to atone the sins from her past. The entire series is amazing. I love historical fantasy, and this series, along with The Twelve Kingdoms, is one of the best at making a mature one that's on point with its politics, action, and slice of life moments.

• The Rose of Versailles
      Hmm... what to say about Oscar de Jarjeyes (other than "please step on me"). She might have been my first major female character crush (and still my biggest one - I totally bought every piece of Oscar merchandise I could find during my visit to Japan, and I totally went to visit Paris one year later just to go to Versailles). I love everything about her. Her fighting prowess, her androgyny, her proud, serious mien, her strong compassion and desire to do what's right, her care for those both lesser and greater than her station, her determination to not back down. The setting of the show, before and during the French revolution, is unique for anime, which was part of the reason I picked it up in the first place. I like the historical time period that was chosen and how the political and social conflicts were woven in to the show. I love how shoujo and overdramatic the series is, playing up the shocked faces and dramatic music. And that ending - yeah, several tears were shed (but hot damn, what a blaze of glory she was).

• Soul Eater
      Soul Eater and Chrno Crusade prove that even though shounen usually isn't my thing, I can still be sucked in with an awesome female lead. I love how much Maka both defies and conforms to the traditional hot-blooded MC role in shounen. She's a bookwarm and serious about school and smarts, but she's also one of the first to jump into battle or make dangerous, bull-headed moves in the middle of the battle. Soul ends up serving as the voice of reason. One of my favorite scenes is when she apologizes to Black*Star for being a jerk and tells him to punch her and to not hold back... and then he does and she goes flying into a goddamn dumpster. It's amazing. Her being female doesn't result in her being treated differently amongst friends and fellow meisters. She's a fighter and is respected as such. Her bond with Soul is another major reason I love this series. Whether or not they are a romantic couple (and, yes, I hardcore ship them), their close connection with one another and how they treat one another both on and off the field shows a close, emotional tie, and I love every second of it. And I have to mention somewhere here how much I love the fights, style, and humor of this show: The Asura arc is pitch perfect the entire way through; the Tim Burton Halloween-esque design is amazing; and there are several moments in Soul Eater that resulted in gut-busting laughter (the moment in the 3rd episode where the hand squeaks "I'm leftovers" got me good).

• The Twelve Kingdoms
      What's great and unique about Youko is how much she changes. She starts off mostly unremarkable, initially becoming more dislikeable, and then comes to realize that she dislikes the way she's acting and slowly starts changing herself for the better. It's awesome to see that growth in action - how cowardly, insecure, and unsure of herself she was in the beginning, until she slowly became a respectable woman able to lead a nation. Along with Moribito, this series one of the best historical fantasy I've seen. The world and main characters are lovingly fleshed out, which makes it easy to become immersed in the setting and story.

Last edited by Crisha on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:37 am; edited 7 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
An exquisitely-timed post, WIllag! All that I have seen from your list is Millennium Actress, though I concur that it is the most heartening of Kon's films. I cannot imagine that too much time will pass before a blu-ray release appears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Well written post Willag.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Well written post Willag.

Indeed. Don't forget to edit the first few pages to add your own entry to the master link my fellow mod. Wink

This makes me wonder about my own lists. I've done it 2 or 3 times updating every few years. Turns out my last time was 4 12 years ago. My how time flies. I think I'll update my own Top 10 tomorrow. See how my opinions might have changed with some new shows over the last years.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 am Reply with quote
Time for an update!

My updated top 10 anime shows of all time list

My top 10 animated movies of all time list is just Miyazaki's 7 movies from 1984 to 2001, In this Corner of the World, plus Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies and Only Yesterday so I will restrict this list to only TV shows (sorry, no OVA show makes my top 10, although I considered including Legend of Galactic Heroes).

1st. Simoun (2006)

One might think it is quite sapphic in it's characterization but is endowed with an incredible dense atmosphere. It's snail pace favors the appreciation of it's visual aesthetics while the world building in itself is also very, very well done. The concept of a world were everybody is born female and must choose their gender when they come of age is quite an interesting material for speculative fiction in itself.

It has a very distinct art style, although some people have criticized it's minimalist background art I found it endows the show with an additional layer of contemplative atmosphere:

All the characters have very memorable personalities as well, as each of them feels like quite complex persons instead of those walking stacks of tropes that are often common in anime shows. Their relationships were made even more interesting by the ambiguity of their nature: I was thinking to myself if they can be regarded as unisex sexual relationships of some form? I also liked how pretty the character and costume designs are, indeed, female characters can be so pretty so I kinda don't understand the point of having those ugly male lead characters in a show. Cool

I am a quite spiritual person even though I am an atheist and this show is very spiritual. In fact, every episode of it has a rhythmic pulse that that made the experience of watching it very memorable. The magnificent musical score also contributed to that effect and it is among my favorite anime scores.

2nd. Haibane Renmei (2002)

Talking about spiritual, Haibane Renmei is perhaps the most spiritually minded anime ever made. Even 16 years later it still remains unmatched in it's spiritual depth and rarely matched in it's emotional depth. It's mysterious atmosphere also contributed to my appreciation of it.

It also has my all time favorite anime show soundtrack. Ko Otani really did a wonderful job in this show. ABe's character designs are also great, not very "animeistic" but not very "anti-animeistic" (like in, for instance, Masaki Yuasa's stuff), being obviously Japanese but also elegant and fitting the setting perfectly. I also like how they toned down the colors of the show, instead of those aggressive glassy visuals in contemporary late night shows we got a more moderate color scheme.

Is it my impression or the interest in making this kind of show has mostly disappeared from the industry in recent years? Well, to be fair it's true that before Haibane Renmei a show like it also didn't exist. It is a unique gem, never to be repeated to forever to be appreciated.

3rd. Made in Abyss (2017)

Now comes a bad boy here, although lacking the philosophical sophistication of the two titles above it or of the title below it it makes up for it in sheer emotional firepower. Incredibly brutal, this show is an exercise of extreme aesthetic contrasts. On one hand, extremely cute character designs and beautiful scenery, on the other hand, one of the most uncompromisingly cruel fictional narratives I ever experienced.

Myself, being a metal-head and particularly a fan of power metal, including the often criticized "flower metal" bands which mix the brutality and machismo of heavy metal with a certain feminine sensibility and appreciation for beautiful melodies, I find it particularly compelling when a anime TV show also combines these elements and executes them so elegantly.

The animation is also top notch which is quite rare in such sophisticated show made for very niche audiences.

4th. Girls Last Tour (2017)

This show was particularly special in being the last time that I cried was when I finished watching it back in late 2017 and watching Made in Abyss was the second last time I cried also in late 2017 Laughing, yep in the last couple of years I guess I have only cried because of anime, so I guess my real life must be quite boring? Laughing

Being a very contemplative show, it's rather similar in that sense to the 1st, 2nd and 5th entries in my list. However, this show is perhaps the most self consciously philosophical of any anime I watched. In the sense it has very little emotional development, with minimalist dialogue and minimal number of characters, instead if focuses on only intellectual topics.

It appears to be a show about a rather devastated post-industrial civilization that at the same time was so developed that it's cities have covered the whole surface of the earth and this society apparently declined and gradually the ruins of this civilization came to be inhabited by semi-nomadic groups who fought with each other for centuries. By the time we come to follow Yuuri and Chito as they navigate through the ruins of the world the total human population appears to have dwindled to almost zero.

Finally, it's visual style reminds me a bit of Texhnolyze but it's now a modernized "moe era" version of it instead.

5th. Madoka (2011)

This show needs no introduction. Perhaps the quintessential anime for the current generation of Japanese pop culture. Being a show that incorporates the cutesy slice of life elements of shows like Hidamari Sketch, the dark gothic lolita horror aesthetics of Le Portrait de Petit Cossette and the seinen action mahou shoujo genre represented by Nanoha. It manages to succeed on all levels and it is perhaps the most finely crafted 12 episodes of anime I ever watched. Forget about the movie they made after it though, it really did a disservice to the franchise.

6th From the New World (2012-13)

It's a true masterpiece that features excellent direction, art and animation. Plus, it is psychologically sophisticated and not manipulative besides being fairly intellectually accomplished: It shows immorality from the point of view of those inside the immoral group while feeling very realistic. What a truly disturbing masterpiece it is indeed.

7th. Aria the Origination (2008)

Aria is perhaps the best healing anime ever made. While there are many slice of life shows that are also light and healing (like Hidamari Sketch or more recently, Comic Girls) this title in particular is special being so earnest in it's contemplative optimism that made me feel really great after I watched it. Yep, I like contemplative stuff but only when done well: after directing the three shows in the Aria franchise, Junichi Satou directed other similar contemplative slice of life shows like Tamayura which did not work as well as Aria. I think this show's was indeed the best of it's kind.

Also, while The Origination is my favorite title of all three Aria series because of it's chronology one must watch all the nearly 60 episodes of all seasons to reach it's powerful climax in The Origination.

8th. Evangelion (1995-96)

The old classic deconstruction of the mecha genre. I first watched it when I was 12 years old and at the time I strongly identified with many aspects of Shinji. Truly an unforgettable experience if you are an introverted teenager with a few issues. It's true this is a juvenile show because it is about the problems that socially immature people face. Also it is an authentic expression of Anno's depression which endows it with impressive gravitas. I also recommend the original show over the recent movies, although well executed the recent EVA movies lack the authenticity and emotional power of the classic 90's show.

Also, it distinguishes itself from the other shows on this list for being only with a male protagonist this show can be also classed as a harem since it features a male main character surrounded by bishoujos. Yep, anime is great for me when it has cuteness and prettiness and usually that happens in shows with female casts. Although I find plenty of shows with male main characters to be great the fact remains that since I already watched dozens of masterpieces to be among my favorite masterpieces you have to do something more and having an extra dose of cuteness helps it a long way.

9th. K-On! (2009-2010)

The quintessential cute girls doing cute things show, K-On! is perhaps by far the least intellectually sophisticated entry in my top 10 but it compensates it's lack of intellectual sophistication with sheer virtuosity in execution. While it lacks hard hitting drama it's exuberant youthfulness is awe inspiring in it's own right.

It's animation is just stellar, perhaps among the best for TV animation ever made, capable of effortlessly conveying the emotions and personality of the characters through their body language. It is my favorite anime comedy and also my favorite cute girls doing cute things show ever (although Aria also has cute girls that show also has drama and a more serious tone).

10th. Serial Experiments Lain (1998)

Like Haibane Renmei, Lain is one of those early experimental anime shows that don't get made very easily. Being one of the very few animations that really scared me when I watched it. I remember I was so disoriented by it's mental screwing that I could barely sleep the last time I watched it (yep, I watched the whole thing on one sitting). It certainly has a spot among my favorites and that is so since about 2003.

Edit: I changed from my top 10 by removing Clannad Afterstory and adding From the New World. Why? Because I was reflecting upon my favorites and I was thinking about which anime I felt like re-watching the most among those I already watched. Then I remembered that I watched From the New World in 2013 and I was so impressed with it that right now I feel like watching it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
I figured since it's been 4 1/2 years, despite only being 7 pages ago, since my last post in this thread it might be time for a bit of an updated list. Last time I posted a list here it had been roughly 4 years since the previous one before that. I guess I have my "mark" for when it's time for a new list. Many things have changed for me personally these past 4 years, and those changes have had an effect on what are my top 10 shows. Not to mention many new shows have come out in the past 4 years as well. Plus as time goes on those rose tinted glasses lose a bit of their luster for some shows. What qualifies as a top show also has changed for me some. For me now what really qualifies as a top favorite is lasting power. When I think of it, whether it's 1 year old or 10, do I still feel the same level of happiness, sadness, and overall emotion as I did the first time I saw the show. So while half of my list is the same, almost half has changed.

I am going to do a separate movies list as I did before. For all intents and purposes an tv series that had accompanying OVA's or movies I am considering those pat of the tv series. The movie list is going to be for movies not connected to a tv series. Minus 1 exception.

Forewarning: There are some spoilers in the list. It would be hard to explain why the shows made it on the list without some.

Top 10 Series

1. Oh My Goddess---This title will always be my favorite and will always be special to me. This title was the one that turned me from a casual fan to a real fan where anime/manga became a true hobby. I had seen plenty of anime before the original OVA, and read other manga before the OMG manga. The thing is back then I was just discovering what anime was and the difference between it and western cartoons. I had watched it for years, but never knew that anime was something separate from normal cartoons. My one friend back then was the one who.....tutored me in a sense. He explained to me what anime and manga were and how they were different than western material at that point in time. So for a few years I was a casual fan as I got into anime. Back in that day mind you it was hard to find any here. Everything was bootleg VHS tapes almost or imports. We're talking AOL dial up modem days here people lol.

Then I discovered Oh My Goddess. I can't fully explain why this title of all titles grabbed me. Still to this day it is a bit of a mystery to me The mixture of slice of life, magical goddess elements, battles, and humor all swirled around and came together just perfectly for me. At it's heart that to me is what Oh My Goddess is about...heart. It is a character driven piece and at it's core it's about those characters, their growth as people, and the heart they all show. It's also a prime example of romance as Keiichi and Belldandy grow together as a couple and as individuals. I've re-read and re-watched the anime, OVA's, movie, and manga countless times. Every time it's like seeing an old friend. Having new adventures and reminiscing over old ones. Reading the last volume of the manga was an end to something that had been in my life for a very long time, and it was hard to fathom that there would be no more new stories of Kei, Bell, the goddesses, the motor club, and all the others. I've been to many many cons, meet wonderful people, and had many an experience in the anime fandom. I have to wonder how much of it happened because of this title and how it grabbed me and pulled me into the fandom. So for that, and it's own merits, Oh My Goddess will always be my favorite title. Hopefully one day they'll do a 3rd tv series that covers the rest of the manga material.

2. "X" tv---This series, unlike the pitiful movie version, is a masterpiece of drama for me. The show, for it's day, also had beautiful and slick animation with nice vibrant colors. It had a beautiful soundtrack (own all the discs). It also had characters who made you want to watch. You wanted to see which side would prevail, and who would be left standing. It had a perfect mix of action and drama to it, with just a few comedy parts sprinkled in at some points to keep the mood for being too sullen and dark. Mostly thanks to Sorata. The show's strength is how the characters grow together and deal with the epic struggle they face. Sorata remains one of my favorite characters ever in an anime. There are quite a few teary eyed moments culminating in one of the best endings in an anime for me. Clamp never got around to ever finishing the damn manga so for me the tv series ending IS the ending for the story. It is a very fitting one and I couldn't see Clamp creating a better one anyways.

3. Haibane Renmei---This is a series where you're either going to love it, or not like it. It's slow in it's pacing, takes it's time doing anything, and it does not really tell you anything. Most of the info is implied and a lot is left to each person's personal interpretation. We never really find out who the Haibane are, why they are there, why Grie is surrounded a wall, and why they can't leave. We never even learn what time it's set in really. The show is quiet, contemplative, and big on symbolism. However, the show moves with such grace and elegance that I didn't mind that it took a long time to introduce the characters, their roles within the city and within the Haibane group, and move the plot along. I liked that everything was not spelled out and I was left to interpret many of the events and characters for myself. It's a beautifully done character driven show. Yes, mystery is everywhere and for every 1 question answered 5 more pop up that never get answered by the show. In this instance though that sort of open ended interpretation works. It definitely wouldn't for everyone though. The show is also visually just amazing. Like a nice watercolor palette come to life. A definite tribute to Yoshitoshi ABe and the odd but stunning worlds he created. Another driving force of the show is the music. Without the music this show would not be a favorite. Given the slow and measured pace it needed the music to help drive the show and add depth. The OST remains one of my favorite for any anime to this day.

4. Now and Then, Here and There--- This show is simply brutal, dark, and an emotional roller coaster. There is no one who is exempt from the torture, struggles, and general hell the show depicts. Everyone comes out with some sort of scars, be it emotional, physical, or both. The setting is as harsh as most of the characters with little laughter to be found. It's not torture for torture's sake though without any purpose behind it. It's a show that is entirely about struggle, and overcoming the harsh reality the characters find themselves in. It shows the worst side of humanity, but also how the characters (some) find that strength to overcome even the worst of situations. It's simply one of the best written and most emotionally powerful anime series ever made even to this day.

5. Puella Magi Madoka Magica---I have to agree with Willag that this show has the perfect buildup to a perfect ending that leaves you emotionally satisfied. Especially i9f you watch the 4th movie. All of sacrifices that the girls make during the show out of love and compassion for each other, and others, is sad and amazing at the same time. This is another example of an emotionally driven series that hits all the right notes. The art and animation for the show is equally as stunning. The various witch lairs are unique and artful in their own rights, but the entire show is well animated.

6. My Love Story---This is probably one of the most refreshing romcoms ever in anime. All 3 of the MC's are so refreshing. Takeo is such a divergence from the normal male lead. Especially a romantic one. He is so much more...real for lack of a better word. I found myself completely empathizing with him and his awkwardness and personality. Rinko is not your wishy washy and/or Tsundere female lead the male MC has to win over. She's sweet and honest and fights for the relationship as much or more than Takeo does. Makoto is also not the typical "best friend" to the male MC in that he actually genuinely cares about Takeo and is not a sleeze, using him, or only there for comic relief. The show itself is full of smiles, comedy, some drama, but at it's core just this pure sweet atmosphere. You want them to be together and you root for them to be together throughout the coarse of the show.

7. Anohana--- This is another one of those shows that is just all about heart and emotion. The kind that resonates with you long after the show is done. It's a story about love, loss, and the dark and nasty parts that come with dealing with such loss. As someone who has lost several people in the course of my life the premise behind the show was one I could relate to. As I think many others can as well. Despite being very emotional, sad, and depressing I think the show by the end is just as equally uplifting. The new dub for the show does an amazing job on conveying those raw emotions, sadness, and happiness. The visuals also do a great job of adding another layer to the already amazing show. Especially the characters animation and the facial expressions during the show. The last episode remains one of the most emotionally raw and gut wrenching for any show I have seen. Have the kleenex handy. The movie also adds more layers to the story and would make my top 10 movies list if I was adding in movies directly connected to their tv series counterparts.

8. Ai Yori Aoshi---This series is much like Oh My Goddess, where the heart of the show is the struggle of the 2 main characters to be together. While Oh My Goddess is a often lighter in tone when dealing with the relationship aspects Ai Yori Aoshi is a bit more serious with it. Especially at the beginning and end of the series. The show has a nice amount of comedy to offset the more serious romance and drama aspects of the show. While it's considered a harem show unlike most harem comedies there is no real guess as to who the MC is going to "pick" or wind up with. Yes other ladies vie for Kaoru's attentions but it's clear it's Aoi and only Aoi for him. The comedy helps keep the show from being too serious but it's clear what the main point is. Throughout the show Kaoru and Aoi grow as people and as a couple as they struggle to be together while hiding the relationship. They learn to not give up and fight for the happiness they want. The anime never finishes out the series so if you want the full ending you have to read the manga. Those last few manga volumes are what really bring the series together at the end and it gives you an actual real ending. A rarity in anime/manga still to this day.

9. Beyond the Boundary---This probably would not have made my top 10 without the OVA that just came out, and would instead have been a runner up. The biggest reason this show resonated so much with me is due to the 2 MC's Akihito and Mirai being very flawed and broken people. The core of the show to me was how they learned to accept who and what they are, and come to realize they are not monsters. Just flawed and broken people. Emotions play a critical role, not just with Mirai and Akihito, but in the plot itself as they are the cause for youmu. Being a Kyoto Animation show the visuals are simply amazing. Some of the best fight scenes in an anime for me. On par with Ufotable and it's Fate series fight scenes. Beyond (heh pun) Akihito and Mirai the show also gets strength from it's supporting cast. They're not just there to simply fill gaps or push the 2 MC's along. They add a lot of depth to the show and Mirai and Akihito would not grow without the others helping them. Despite the abundance of the emotions and struggles of the MC's go through there is enough comedy and lightheartedness, especially the idol episode, to give the show balance and some smiles. The OVA (the second part anyways, first part is a recap movie) gives some much needed continuation and finality after the tv series. It's also another example of the rare occurrence of a more definitive and actual ending for a show.

10. Kurau Phantom Memory---This show is to me a perfect mix of action, drama, and some comedy sprinkled in. However the real strength in Kurau is the bond between Kurau and her sister Christmas. The struggles they go through together, the trials and tribulations they face, and how they grow together and as individuals. The whole show has them being hunted, targeted, and each episode is one struggle after another for them. Despite the constant struggle they try to stay upbeat and happy as they have each other. The bond between these 2 and the sacrifices they make for each other are bittersweet and heart warming to see. The ending for this show is one of my favorites still to this day. The dichotomy in the first and last episodes brings the show full circle. There is a reason that those 2 won the Best Duo tournament here a long time ago. I even picked them to win it and won that tournament myself thanks to them.

The runners up at 11-15 would be Clannad/Clannad After Story, Aria, Getbackers, Princess TuTu, & Kino's Journey. Honorable mentions that used to be on the list, or almost made the list (past or present), would include Patlabor, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Mushi-shi, Black Lagoon, Twelve Kingdoms, Made in Abyss, Record of Lodoss War, Texhnolyze, Your Lie in April, Death Parade, Violet Evergarden, Ancient Magus Bride, Kanon, The Rose of Versailles, & Witch Hunter Robin.

Worst 5 Series (in no particular order)

1. Gundam Seed Destiny--- More angst than a hot topic kid at a Staind concert holding a copy of Twilight. I mean it takes a lot to out emo Shinji from Evangelion, but you did it Kira. That's nothing to say of the paper thing and convoluted plot and uninteresting characters. People can complain about newer Gundam titles all they want but this heaping pile of donkey dung still takes the cake as the worst Gundam show for me and one of the worst I've seen period.

2. Final Fantasy Unlimited--- I stand by my previous opinion of this show. This show is just an epic failure with characters that are bland and boring, a story that is beyond confusing, horrible pacing, and the animation itself isn't even really that good (for it's time). The show just screams laziness and mediocrity.

3. New Fist of the North Star--- There is about as much crap and mediocrity coming out of this show as there is a certain president currently. One big steaming pile of failure that tarnishes the history of those that came before it. The characters in this show.....the actual dialog.....the horrible animation...just...make it stop. If Kenshiro ever saw this he'd make his own head explode in shame.

4. Berserk--- Much like New Bullshit of the Fail Star this show is just an insult to the material that came before it. The manga is amazing. The Golden Age movies were amazing. The new tv series though....they're a crime against humanity. It takes a special kind of horrible animation to single handily ruin a great show like this. It's not a culmination of a bad plot that deviates from the source material coupled with bad characters. No, the animation single handily destroyed this show. If this was a tv series that had God himself speaking to us this animation could ruin even that and make people turn the tv off.

TIE for 5th!!! These next 2 were so cringe worthy I couldn't decide. So they both win. Oh joy.

5. Super Lovers & Kodomo no Jikan--- I watched most of both to see if the shows were truly as bad as they were made out to be. A sort of morbid curiosity. Sweet baby Jesus they are both as cringe worthy as people said. After watching both I felt I needed a hot scalding shower in holy water while Max von Sydow yelled at me "The Power of Christ Compels You!" the whole time.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
This is my Top 10 Favorite Movies/OVA list. These are ones that are stand alone and not tied to any tv series.

1. Oh My Goddess--- So yes I am cheating a bit with this one. Deal with it heh. Technically though this movie has no tie in with the tv series, the OVA's, or the manga. What it does share with the others though are all of the strengths. The same deep connection between the characters, the same devotion Bell and Kei have for each other, and just that same special quality that sets it apart for me. Everything I said above in my TV Series list applies here. I also happen to think the VA cast of this movie was my favorite of the 3 various English VA casts used for the tv series, OVA's, and the movie.

2. Tokyo Godfathers--- The funny thing is when I first heard about the movie online and it was suggested to me by a friend I dismissed it. I am eternally glad I gave it a try because I was very wrong. This movie is all about heart and it wears it on its sleeve. I don't think you'll ever encounter a more unique and different group of main characters as you will here with Miyuki, Gin, and Hana. The 3 however come together to form one of the most memorable and heartfelt casts of characters I've ever seen. Kon manages to put so much emotion into these characters. The setting itself varies from lonely, empty, and destitute streets and back alleys to bright and warm settings. To me the true core of the movie is not so much returning the lost child to it's parents but the main characters all overcoming the different senses of longing they each have inside. The ending to this movie is also one of the most heartfelt endings you will see. It's almost like an anime Christmas miracle story. Most people in the anime fandom have heard of Satoshi Kon. Most have seen some, or more, of his works. This one though I think remains possibly his most underappreciated given how different in tone it was compared to his other works. I think that lighter tone and atmosphere and idea of birth and an angel from the sky becomes even more poignant and meaningful given his own sad and early passing. After his passing I started a tradition where I watch this movie at least once every Christmas holiday season.

3. A Silent Voice--- This movie was simply amazing. It offered up a very realistic and open look at how bullying can affect people. Even years later. It's a very poignant look at the ideas of regret, self-worth, friendship, and redemption. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Shoya grow as a character and come to regret his past actions. Having been bullied much in my childhood I connected to this movie on a more personal level beyond it simply being an amazingly well done movie. Beyond the characters and the amazing story the show is lush, vibrant, and simply stunning to behold. Then again that's become what most expect from a KyoAni work.

4. Wolf children--- Much like with Tokyo Godfathers Wolf Children is an emotional roller coaster ride of a movie. I was lucky enough to see the world dub premiere at Otakon. Seeing this movie on a giant screen like that was worth it. It was easily one of the highlights of the entire weekend and of the con that year for me. It's probably one of my favorite Otakon memories period. This movie is all about how a mother raises her 2 children and deals with their special gifts. How she sacrifices and uproots her entire life to try and protect them and raise them all alone with no guidance on how to raise these special children. There are more then a handful of very emotional moments. Despite her children being half wolf you can easily relate to the struggles she goes through with them. The ideas of acceptance, finding your own path, and trying to make the best possible life for your family despite any struggles.

5. Akira--- This one remains special to me as it was one of the first anime I saw. It was one of the titles that first got me into anime and hooked me in. Not to mention how ground breaking it was for it's time, and still is today. I still love all the action and cyberpunk feel the movie exuded. It became a cultural icon for a reason. Plus that damn bike of Kaneda's remains badass to this day.

6. Garden of Words--- This is perhaps the most visually stunning anime film, or series, I have ever seen. Shinkai raised the bar to such heights with this film I don't think even he can surpass it. Beyond the lush and gorgeous visuals the music is amazing as well. it fits the movie perfectly. All of that and I haven't even mentioned the plot or characters. That's the sort of impact this film had. The story itself is actually a bit simple, especially by Shinkai's standards. The dialog between Takao and Yukari is rather basic and nothing extraordinary. This film does more to move the story along by "showing" the viewers more than it does "talking" to them. Ironic given the title. I think the more simplistic story and interactions work perfectly for this movie though. Especially given the shorter run time. Much as Tokyo Godfathers was such a break in tone for Kon this is the same for Shinkai. I also think much like TG was a more under appreciated work by Kon so is GOW by Shinkai.

7. Your Name--- Where as GOW was more simplistic in tone Your Name certainly lives more up to what people have come to expect from Shinkai. Visually it is I think his most complete and vivid work. I think GOW is still a bit more.....beautiful and lush. Where as Your Name is stunning and grand. Both movies are by far 2 of the most amazing visual animes ever, and I suppose preference of either in terms of visuals comes down to if you're in the mood for lush and vibrant or grandiose and staggering. In terms of story and characters I think this is Shinkai's best work. The time and details he spends bringing Taki & Mitsuha to life are second to none. It’s a beautiful and captivating piece of work that gets off to kind of a rocky start but achieves remarkable momentum toward an emotional, powerful ending. I really became invested in Taki & Mitsuha and what would happen to them in the end. There is a reason this movie has become so huge and it deserves all of the accolades and credit it has received.

8. Paprika--- This movie is just a visual treat. The animation and visual pieces in this movie are just mesmerizing. The various settings and backgrounds are just so vibrant and awe inspiring. When paprika goes from one reality to the next in certain sequences the visuals just grab you. You don't want to blink for fear you'll miss some of the visual treat. Then you have the characters. Kon I think outdoes himself in Paprika in terms of rich and vibrant characters. They are complex, multi-dimensional, and they all feel very real. As if they could be real people you know. All of that and I haven't even gotten to the plot itself lol. I love how the movie switches from reality to the dream worlds and how Paprika herself, Dr Atsuko in real life, is such a tale of two people. Atsuko normally is such an ice queen lol. Then in the dream worlds as Paprika it's a complete 180. I love her character and I love the depth to the "dream worlds" within the movie. This movie is about imagination and being yourself to me and just is one of the most visually amazing movies I have ever seen. If only Kon and Shinkai could have collaborated on a full big budget movie together.

9 . Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust--- The original Vampire Hunter D movie was one of the first anime movies I ever saw. It opened my eyes to a world outside normal western animated movies. It was dark, visceral, and just a spooky fun good time. It was 15 years between it and Bloodlust here. Everything that made the original great Bloodlust did and improved upon in my mind. It's spooky, fun. and it has a plenty of well done fight scenes. The movie truly thrives though with it's dark and post apocalyptic setting. It really brings D and his adventures to life as well as the imaginative setting from the light novels. It remains one of my favorite guilty pleasures and anime movies to this day. I hope the supposed tv series one day actually sees the light of the day itself.

10. Anthem of the Heart--- Another wonderfully emotional and heartwarming show. Which makes since considering the minds behind this brought us Ano Hana (one of my favorite series). The movie is a touching story about expressing yourself and showing your true feelings to others. Instead of holding them in. All of the characters have wonderful depth to them and amazing facial expressions that help convey their feelings. Another similarity to Ano Hana. One of the biggest enjoyments I got from this movie though is the music. It really helped elevate the movie, especially at the few points where it did stumble a bit with the story.

The close runner ups who almost made the top 10 list include Howl's Moving Castle, Perfect Blue, 5 CM Per Second, Fatal Fury, Summer Wars, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ninja Scroll, Sword of the Stranger, Grave of the Fireflies, Colorful, Time of Eve, & the The Garden of Sinners OVA's.

I would also mention that I am fairly certain once Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms finally hits NA shelves it will no doubt earn a spot on my top 10 list.

Worst 5 Movies (in no particular order)

1. Tekken--- In an age where video game adaptations are at an all time high for anime and live action one movie still reigns supreme. Supremely freaking horrible. If you can watch the anime Tekken movie and not want to go punch something or stab your brain with a q-tip then I bow before you. The story is absurd. There's hardly any real fighting. The animation is subpar. Kazuya at one point is killing robotic raptors that can cloak. Think about the absurdity of that sentence.

2. Battle Arena Toshinden--- Well where there's one there's bound to be more. As if Tekken wasn't bad enough here we have Toshinden. Another pointless and utterly worthless anime movie adaptation of a fighting game. And like Tekken this movie revels in it's utter stupidity and ridiculousness. The only thing going for it is there are a bunch of super pwoered fights. Poorly animated and voiced super powered fights. If you ever played the games and wanted to see Sofia nude...well there ya go. Otherwise dump this into a trash fire.

3. Psychic Wars--- Here is the actual synopsis for this..."Psychic Wars revolves around Ukyo Retso, a premier doctor whose surgical removal of a mysterious growth on a woman inadvertently lands him in the middle of a battle that has been waging for thousands of years. Transported back in time to one of the most ancient cities in Japan, Ukyo must join in the fight against a powerful race of demons who, if successful, would eradicate mankind altogether." If you're thinking this already sounds bad you have no idea just how bad it gets. Ukyo goes back in time and winds up receiving mystical psychic powers that lets him fight the demons and monsters that are present there. He magically just knows how to use these new powers and hulks out when he does. Makes perfect sense. He then runs around punching demons super hard and kills them. I trust this all is starting to sound as utterly ridiculous and horrible as it feels to type it.

4. MD Geist II - Death Force--- The first movie was horrible. It was painful to watch. So what do you do after that? Why those same visionaries decided to double down and make a sequel! In doing so they actually committed an amazing feat, they outdid the original in every way imaginable. It's worse than the first movie in every possible way. It has an even more idiotic plot. The dialog....oh my god i has to be heard to be believed. By some fluke of nature despite being 10 years later the animation is somehow worse as well! How the hell did they manage that!? Enjoy this article on the original. animenewsnetwork.com/buried-treasure/2008-10-02/buried-garbage-m.d-geist

5. X-1999--- This is more a of a personal vendetta rather than it simply being horrible. Trust me, the movie truly is horrible and ridiculous. What earns it a spot on my list though, over other movies that are honestly worse, is the fact that this is such a slap in the face to the utterly brilliant tv series and manga. It completely bastardizes the source material and makes most of the characters and story utterly pointless. I like to think that it was such an abomination and act against God that they realized they had to atone for their sins and thus the amazing tv series was produced. Considering how much ying and yang play a role in the story I suppose it's fitting it applies here too.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I figured I'd also make a new list. This one is my Top 10 Anime Guilty Pleasures. Now when I say Guilty Pleasure I mean a show or movie that I know is not "great" by any stretch. For whatever the reason. It's not bad per se, it's just certainly not great. Yet I love it and can watch it over and over again.

1. Getbackers--- This show is a guilty pleasure I found years ago on a blind buy. It's nothing fancy at all, yet every time I watch it I grin like a fool and laugh along with the hijinks. For me it's got a good mix of comedy, action, and just enough seriousness to give it depth. The real heart of the show is the relationship thought between Ban and Ginji. The comradery they show to each other. The support and belief they show and strength they gain from each other. Which they need given the hijinks they find themselves in often. It also has one of the best AMV's ever set to Get Tricky. That AMV sums up the show very nicely.

2. Black Lagoon--- This is like a Michael Bay film. You know it's not oscar worthy but it's just damn entertaining. It's the epitome of a summer movie blockbuster as an anime tv series. Tons of guns, swearing, and of course explosions!!!! Bahhh MichaelBaySpolosions!!!!! Arguably more depth than any Michael Bay film, but the same general principle. If I want some fast paced foul mouthed fun I pop this show in.

3. Ikki Tousen--- Despite the tons of ecchi anime out there now this title is still special. It's tame by today's standards too. I got into the manga first and then the many tv seasons. Each one with more exploding clothes than the last. I actually do love the battles as they are often well done. Plus of course the exploding clothes. Kanu is also still my waifu.

4. Fatal Fury--- I loved the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters games. So I was stoked for the 2 Fatal Fury OVA's but the true guilty pleasure is the movie. Cheesy over the top action and dialog with a matching soundtrack. There's just something about the cheese in these OVA's/Movie that always puts a smile on my face. Even made my gf watch the movie once lol.

5. Puni Puni Poemy--- I love Nabeshin and all of his works. This OVA was simply a tasteless and ridiculous treat. It rips on popular anime, manga and pop culture of it's time and his own other works (Excel Saga). It's like Excel Saga but with less of a plot and jacked up on even more cocaine. Just a simply laugh out loud ridiculous fun time with amazingly bad but funny dialog.

6. Golden boy--- This is just a classic in pervy potty humor. Figuratively and literally. You won't find another show with more appreciation for toilets lol. Kintaro is a big goofy, pervy, but very smart and kind hearted guy. He wanders around, gets new jobs, messes them up and pervs on the main lady at each, and then inevitably does something good to save the day. All with tons of slapstick humor and sexual innuendos thrown in. The show actually has a nice balance though of all it's parts. It's definitely not good, and it knows it and revels in it.

7. Keijo--- As a great lyrical poet once said, "I like big butts and I cannot lie." I'm an ass man....this show is about girls battling with butts in swimsuits....it's really that damn simple lol. Sure there are plenty of other ecchi shows out there but this one is made for those of us who are fine connoisseurs of shapely derrieres. Plus it lets me yell out Butt Battle!!!!!! constantly which amuses me.

8. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi--- This is a delightfully fun show that parodies and insults tons of anime and film genres and cliche's. This one always makes me literally laugh so hard I turn red. One of the best parts of the show are actually the outtakes on vol 2 & 3 of the original dvd singles. Lots of Michael Jackson jokes. The show revels in the over the top parody and ridiculousness and I love it for it.

9. To Love Ru--- In terms of ecchi guilty pleasures this one is right at the top for me. It's trashy, fun, has lots of T&A, and keeps going. It's the energizer bunny of T&A shows at this point. I know the pervy T&A comedy is low brow...I don't care. I love my trashy ecchi shows and this one is king of the mountain.

10. Love Live--- So from ecchi T&A shows, to over the top parody & slapstick comedy, and fast paced action we land at a pop idol show. I swore it wouldn't happen, but I got sucked into the damn cute girls idol group genre. *sigh* They're just so damn cute and upbeat and the music is just so damn catchy as well. I think there's subliminal messaging in it that makes you watch. Honestly this one is harder to explain to my friends than any of the others lol. And yes I do have my favorite girl(s) and no I won't tell.

Honorable mentions go out to High School DxD, Great teacher Onizuka, K-On, Wallflower, Hare-Guu, & Monster Musume.

Screw it, the best idol girls are Kanan & Nozomi. Come at me bros!!!!
RobinMalhotra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
One Punch Man, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Fate Stay/Night UBW and Fate Zero

I introduced my friend who was new to anime to the three berserk movies to great effect, but it wouldn't be my strategy to recommend to others.
Dragon ball Z suffers from being too long and being made by toei.

Hellsing ultimate, Gundam iron blood orphans
Dragonball Kai is an infinitely better version of Z. A lot of people seem to think that it's just an HD version, but they are wrong. It removes all of that filler and that bullshit repeating animations in the fights. It's honestly just really good
Johnspartan1982

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
[Edit]: Lists without discussion aren't terribly interesting. Removed. Errinundra.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Would anyone be interested in some kind of "Top 10 SD model kits" list, complete with tips for beginners and pictures from my own collection? I've been thinking about doing one for a while.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
If you wanna do it I say go for it. We did open the thread up to any sort of top 10 list. No one has simply really taken advantage of it. I don't know jack followed by shit about SD kits personally, but I'd read your list regardless. Maybe I'll learn something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 121 of 122