• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kemono Friends Director Tatsuki: No Longer Working on the Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
The other day, I woke up to a tweet from Tatsuki, who published a new Kemono Friends short.

Today I woke up to a tweet from Tatsuki, who said that he was no longer in the project because Kadokawa said so.

What the hell happened?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Would love to know the backstory to this. In any case, not welcome news. I have no idea how responsible Tatsuki was for making Kemono Friends so awesome, but the director is obviously an important role in the creation of an anime. I hope this doesn't affect any future KF anime from being good.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
The anime sold so much and he gets fired? ................HUH?

Well that's another reason the anime industry will go down someday, they make stupid decisions one after another.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm not watching a season 2 without Tatsuki. Kadokawa had a great thing and they just blew it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
It makes me wonder if there wasn't some sort of internal or personal dispute between the director and Kadokawa. Otherwise, it seems rather odd that they would remove him suddenly, especially when the project turned out to be an unexpected hit.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
.... does the director really matter in this.... thing?
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
It's not very probable for any personal disputes to have taken place there.
They just wanted a different, more conventional direction for their new cashcow title, and wasn't taking people's attachment to the director into account.

Also, just look at that crazy tweet amount, even most trending tweet in a long time, wordlwide.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

I'd suggest actually watching the show before casting such judgment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
It sucks that Tasuki is no longer around to work on the series. To this day, I still do not know how in the world Kemono Friends became such a massive success. I remember watching the first episode and it was an eye torture. Then a lot of people began watching it and became hyped every episode and I found myself joining them in the wild Japari Park ride. The CG may be cringy but that is perhaps one of the narm charms that make the show so popular. I am sure even Tatsuki does not know how it happened. All the Friends are so cute. Hopefully S2 will deliver.

FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:

I'd suggest actually watching the show before casting such judgment.

I did, it was awful
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
He got screwed by the studio. Something tells me the next season will be a diasterpiece.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

Yes. Yes it does especially if every fan wants Kemono Friends S2 to maintain that stylistic charm that made it so popular and an unexpected big hit in the first place.

Last thing anyone wants is Kadokawa blowing another opportunity of a hit property (I'm looking at you, KanColle anime).
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
To those that don't understand why this is such a big deal, Tatsuki was basically the heart and soul behind the Kemono Friends anime. The production team was maybe a dozen people, and he even had to do much of the 3D modeling himself. And whether or not you understand the Kemono Friends hype, it's obvious that the work he and his team did touched a lot of people.

He's also a complete no name, which I imagine is why Kadokawa doesn't want him in charge of what is now a large project. Still, The entire appeal of Kemono Friends is that it was sort of the Little Engine that Could. The game was a flop, the animation was terrible, the staff were all no names and yet everyone worked so hard on it, and it really showed. That was the reason so many people fell for it. So naturally, it seems like firing that director and giving his show to a big team is gonna feel a little... commercial to the fans.
rinrinsama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

a good director can save any project and make it a masterpiece, kemono is just one example

low budget, shit tier technology, amateur VAs, a dead franchise, but thanks to this guys creativity and planning save all and make kemono literally the anime of the year.

a shit tier director, but high budget, actors, SFX, etc. still will make shits movies / shows, just watch as example the lastest hollywood adaptations like death note...

of course, you need to have some culture to notice this
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4