• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus USA Issues Takedown Notice to PS3 Emulator Developers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Atlus has always been very strict about their copyright laws. No surprise here..
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
That last sentence in Atlus's official statement is certainly a roundabout way of saying that they want to be paid for their game. That is certainly a valid reason, but it's just seems a little odd that they would say they are concerned about the gameplay experience of people that didn't buy a copy.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
Atlus has always been very strict about their copyright laws. No surprise here..

Of course, people got mad at them for the streaming restrictions, not that people besides game reviewers followed them.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
All Atlus has to do is port their games to PC. People want their games on PC,

I dunno about some people, but I'm quite comfy playing my games at my computer desk on my laptop, everything is right there for me, multitask like no tomorrow. Also streaming is made super easy and I don't have to go out and buy an expensive capture card or anything else.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

I dunno about some people, but I'm quite comfy playing my games at my computer desk on my laptop, everything is right there for me, multitask like no tomorrow. Also streaming is made super easy and I don't have to go out and buy an expensive capture card or anything else.

You're barely touching upon the benefits to PC gaming. You didn't even mention with streaming, that it's HEAVILY censored on PS4. Screw that.

Anywho, Atlus has no right here. They shouldn't have even said anything, all it does it make them look bad. Emulators are perfectly legal. The company isn't supplying the actual game files.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:

Two problems with this: PC is dead in Japan and Atlus has ported one of their games to the PC in the past and it failed sales wise.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:

Two problems with this: PC is dead in Japan and Atlus has ported one of their games to the PC in the past and it failed sales wise.

Not to mention the fact that they're not obligated to do that. If they want to do a PC port eventhough Japan is leery around the PC as a gaming platform then they'll do it, if not well....

Kougeru wrote:

You're barely touching upon the benefits to PC gaming. You didn't even mention with streaming, that it's HEAVILY censored on PS4. Screw that.

Heavily censored or moderately restrictive? Cause I've never heard of the former and the second I've only heard of being a problem with Persona 5.

Kougeru wrote:

Anywho, Atlus has no right here. They shouldn't have even said anything, all it does it make them look bad.

To whom the guys still upset at Square killing that Chrono Trigger fan sequel? Emulators maybe legal but once they start being used to play copyrighted material they wind up in shaky territory.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Atlus USA needs to quit. They even said the emulator was legal anyway which exposes them further.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
Running Wild wrote:

PC relevance in Japan doesn't matter, why do you think many JP games comes over to Steam for the Western side of things? They sale enough to make a profit. Atlus is one of the few remaining JP developers that haven't really given PC/Steam a chance.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Atlus is also not obligated to make you you a PC port, neither is Naughty Dog who makes the Uncharted games. PC ports aren't always the "master race" meme that PC gamers use.
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Atlus is also not obligated to make you you a PC port, neither is Naughty Dog who makes the Uncharted games. PC ports aren't always the "master race" meme that PC gamers use.

God that meme pissed me off. Let's use a term with heavy historic implications for something as stupid as video games.

Also let's be blunt, by PC port what the majority of you mean is Windows port.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

Okay? We're also not obligated to buy their products.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Okay? We're also not obligated to buy their products.

That is true, but console developers make exclusives to sell consoles, or everything would be on PC.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Now THIS is retarded, what makes Atlus USA think they can win when even Nintendo never could? The big N has a bigger bone to pick and a bigger war chest than Atlus.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:

I always took PC master race as a joke meme. There is zero quality control with early-access and free to play games, most ports are poorly optimized, the only exclusives are low-budget indie titles, and it's split between multiples services like Steam and Uplay which you don't actually own any game you buy and can lose at a moments notice. So the people who brag about building $3000 gamer rigs then the most played games are Hearthstone, LoL, or Pubg which look like they came out 10-20 years old always lead me to believe the term was done in jest. Or maybe I just hoped it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2