• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Airbrush System for Gunpla Models Ships in February

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Um, OK. Two potential issues, first you have a Marker as you paint source. Somehow I doubt it will be able to provide a consistently smooth flow of paint especially in light of... Second, this is breath powered? That means you get all the wonderful things that people exhale in the airflow to your model. Again, that won't be any help in getting a proper painted surface.

Stick to your Iwata Air Brush, or Paasche, or Badger, and a good air compressor with a moisture trap.

Mark Gosdin
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought that this would be a no-brainer for me, considering I have a travel case full of dozens of Gundam markers sitting next to my computer as I type this (after years and years of miniature painting with traditional paints, I've found using Gundam markers a really fun way to detail my SD kits), but the "you breathe into it" aspect is really throwing me off. I think I'll just stick to how I normally use Gundam markers.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This looks really dumb. As long as it works though.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
There's a can of compressed air next to the airbrush in the first photo (there's another photo in the source link with a better view of it), so I assume that is the actual intended way to use the thing. Looks like it's probably compatible with traditional compressors as well. Using your own breath sounds absurd, so it seems something just got lost in translation here. Good thing, too, because as a longtime Gundam Marker user, I really like the idea.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the same idea as the Copic marker airbrush, except that allows you to use cans of compressed air or a small air compressor. If you're going to be limited to only using cans of air with this, it will be expensive in the long term.

I have to imagine "breath" is a translation error. The last thing that would give is a smooth finish.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
If you're going to be limited to only using cans of air with this, it will be expensive in the long term.

Adaptors for air compressors exist, you know.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Looks like the same idea as the Copic marker airbrush, except that allows you to use cans of compressed air or a small air compressor. If you're going to be limited to only using cans of air with this, it will be expensive in the long term.

I have to imagine "breath" is a translation error. The last thing that would give is a smooth finish.

I saw on twitter someone had taped the pen to the side of an air duster with the straw cut down and worked the same.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:

I saw on twitter someone had taped the pen to the side of an air duster with the straw cut down and worked the same.

Great idea.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
The only thing "new" about this system is that it is gundam-branded. Marker style airbrushes have been around for at least 20 years. I remember seeing them in art and hobby stores back in my high school days. I never owned one but they were sold alongside normal airbrushes as an entry-level option. They do have some advantages: the idea is that using a special marker as your paint source is more convenient and is less messy than fooling around with pouring paint into the little jar or cup used by traditional airbrushes. There is essentially zero cleanup since all you do is put the cap back on the marker. You don't have to wash the paint out of the jar and the airbrush itself. On the other hand there are disadvantages too: you can't mix your own colors like you can working with normal paint. And the fact that the "marker airbrush" does not mix the paint and air internally limits how much control you have over the brush. I haven't priced gundam markers, but I would bet that they are more costly than buying paint given the same coverage area.

They are not powered by human breath. They either use compressed gas in a can like others pointed out above, or with a compressor. You can even get an adapter that lets you run your airbrush off of the compressed air in a spare car tire. That way you can use a tire inflator you may already own to operate your airbrush, or you can take the tire to a gas station, fill it there, then take it home and run your airbrush with it. Generally speaking beginners or people with limited space use the canned air since it's cheaper to buy than a compressor and takes up less room. But in the long run a compressor is far cheaper than buying cans repeatedly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1