• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: King's Game The Animation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
Wow, this is the trashiest trash I've ever seen. I didn't think the first episode was so bad, but I cannot say that about the subsequent episodes. The King just seems to issue the most trollish orders possible from "Have a popularity contest and the loser gets punished. The punishment is confessing...Oh lol, she just jumped out the window thinking it was hanging" "Your friend has to have sex by the end of the day. Uh oh! It's just you two and your girlfriend and there's only 10 minutes left Twisted Evil"

Quote:
Is your friendship strong enough to ask your girlfriend to save your best friend's life by having sex with his unconscious body? King's Game is asking the real questions

And knock him out in the first place when he refused to go along with it. I'm sure he'll react well to that when he wakes up.

Speaking of things that are going to go well, that guy that saved Nobuaki saying he was going save that girl's life after her phone was destroyed, preventing her from doing her task from the King. I'm sure he hasn't signed his own death warrant by promising to save her from the King's unstoppable supernatural punishment.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
We've had hate-watch shows before, but this one has the potential to be one of the lowest-rated episode-review shows we've ever had.

Glad to see that Chris is still finding it entertaining in an unintentionally-funny sense, as the absurdity of it all was wearing on me by the end of episode 3. I was fully prepared to enjoy it for its trashiness, but I already find the heavy-flashback formula to be cumbersome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
This is so stupid it's hilarious. It's like the staff knows this is bad, and just said "F*ck it. We'll play along". I particularly loved kana jumping out the window, and somehow falling from the floor above. Laughing Laughing Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
This is so stupid it's hilarious. It's like the staff knows this is bad, and just said "F*ck it. We'll play along". I particularly loved kana jumping out the window, and somehow falling from the floor above. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don’t forget the comically large blood splatter.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know if the book this was based on is any better?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Don’t forget the comically large blood splatter.

Followed by "How is she?" Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

It is a cellphone novel so I’m guessing the answer is no.

While looking up that, I found out the main character is named after the author. What Shocked
CookieXL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Well if the anime follows the same pattern as the manga, then there's going to be more stupid deaths. Laughing it's not the staff's fault(i think), but more the author's fault for making that stupid death scene.

Animeking1108 wrote:

Never read the novel, but i did read the manga that it's based on the novel and no, the series as a whole is stupid and yes also the death scenes are stupid, heck, even the prequel of King's Game is stupid(the story where it all began).
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually a lot better. This anime is weird because it's splicing the original series with its sequel, and it's also skipping over a lot of details. Plus, the execution wasn't NEARLY as bad as this, and the novels had a bit more restraint. I think the biggest issue is the new cast in the sequel series, who act really stupid compared to the original cast.

But, I'm also referring to the manga, which is an adaptation of the first book of a novel series, there's also a manga that adapts the second book. These two books are what's happening in the anime I believe.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is your friendship strong enough to ask your girlfriend to save your best friend's life by having sex with his unconscious body?

If Nobu really cared he'd have boned Naoya himself.

Also this series is painfully bad, but there's amusement in that pain so I'll keep watching it for now. I am amazed though at how no one in the class even tried suggesting everyone work together to tie the vote. Sure, they couldn't have because the class was conveniently odd, but still.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This show, frankly, struck me as one of those incredibly mean-spirited torture hentai. It really did not work for me and so much of it is domination and sex-centric. And yeah, the author naming his MC after himself was pretty interesting. I don't know what that says about the dude's fantasies, or how he sees himself, but weird....
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally liking this show. The sex theme, brutal murder and drama make it entertaining to watch unlike that garbage called Mayoiga from last year

Evil or Live is also another good horror anime.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't really on my radar but thanks to the review I just watched all the available episodes and it's absolutely hilarious. Laughing Looking forward to more poorly animated mayhem next week!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Evil or Live is also another good horror anime.

I think it's got KG beat for sheer absurdity and wtf entertainment value. Like its brethren Spirit Pact, it's completely unpredictable because no one ever acts or reacts the way a sane person would. Toward the end of its second episode, EorL also had a coerced must-have-sex scene that really has to be seen to be believed. I'm not certain to make it to the end of KG, but I doubt I'll bail on EorL, unless it stops being crazy and ends up just boring.

I'm not nearly so entertained by KG, because it just seems as stupid as its characters, and I'm not sure its creators are in on that. I'm also feeling less tolerant of any anime that uses the false-rape-accusation trope, in part because I'm seeing it used a lot more frequently these days. That would've been easier to overlook if the kids hadn't instantly believed a girl who had just outed herself as a complete psycho-bitch only minutes before.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
If Nobu really cared he'd have boned Naoya himself.

I had this thought, too! Never for a second believed it would actually happen, but if it had then I might have had a smidgen of respect for this series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5