• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Having read the manga, this maybe good entry level way to get into them without being overwhelmed. I still prefer manga to the anime since their RUSHING so bloody fast.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone who watched the first two Negima shows there is a bit of nostalgia involved with Evangeline/Yukihime but I would say that UQ Holder is good about making sure that everything is explained. The combination of magic, super science, and different types of immortals should make for a unique action show.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Having read the manga, this maybe good entry level way to get into them without being overwhelmed. I still prefer manga to the anime since their RUSHING so bloody fast.

i wouldnt be so sure. its more or less their in pace with the manga. its a safe bet this will be a 12 ep series where it ends with spoiler[ eva's eventual reunion with fate and tota's failed attempts to beat him. ]

The other characters all fit into the standard shonen slots so far, whether it's uptight rival Karin or eccentric training mentor Jinbei.

which is more or less a hit or miss. i mean jinei's persona is way too similar at times to kunel aka albiero amma. why in the world would yukihimie would even recruit someone is the same as a man she disliked to no end? then there is of course karin who is pretty much the series version of setsuna. the biggest problem for her is that she is both like and disliked in the entire series cause while everyone likes her when it does her setsuna persona , her complete obsession for yukihime and her dislike of all men,especially tota feels way too similar to kuroko shirai from the index/railgun series which everyone agrees that she (kuroko) is by far the most hated anime support character ever!

i for one hope they dont make her into another kuroko clone and at least allow her to trust in tota and kuromaru.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Showsni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Those CGI monsters looked so bad I was kind of wondering if they looked that way on purpose. Like, are they trying to reference 1950s or 60s claymation monsters from movies? Stuff like Jason and the Argonauts?
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Wrangler wrote:

i wouldnt be so sure. its more or less their in pace with the manga. its a safe bet this will be a 12 ep series where it ends with spoiler[ eva's eventual reunion with fate and tota's failed attempts to beat him. ]

Except the promo art shows UQ confronting Ala Alba which is the previous arc in the manga before the current one. Thats assuming of course the anime plans on going that far because if thats the case then its impossible to cover that much in just 12 eps especially when the 4th ep is airing today unless they plan to skip every other arc leading to the big fight. While most sites dont list the number of UQ's eps I did find one showing 12 but I cant confirm its authenticity yet.

P.S imo its Kuromaru whos more reminiscent of Setsuna. He shares some of her characteristics, sword style and they even have physical similarities
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
[
Except the promo art shows UQ confronting Ala Alba which is the previous arc in the manga before the current one. Thats assuming of course the anime plans on going that far because if thats the case then its impossible to cover that much in just 12 eps especially when the 4th ep is airing today unless they plan to skip every other arc leading to the big fight. While most sites dont list the number of UQ's eps I did find one showing 12 but I cant confirm its authenticity yet.

P.S imo its Kuromaru whos more reminiscent of Setsuna. He shares some of her characteristics, sword style and they even have physical similarities

its only the sword style that kuromaru have some similarities to setsuna. when it comes to karin , she basicially have the same no nonsense attitude as her. except when she is near yukihime. just like how setsuna is more laid back when she is close to her "oujo-sama" (konoka)! the only problem: her devotion to yukihime/eva and her deep distain for all men, especially tota is more reminiscent of index/railgin's kuroko! the only thing left was if karin had called yukihime onee-chan just like what kuroko calls mikasa.

also i wouldnt trust those promo arts if i was you! they can tend to be EXREMELY MISLEADING AT TIMES

the only way the series will go to that arc is that if its a very long series or they do like boku no hero academia and have multiple 12 or 13 ep seasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
[

its only the sword style that kuromaru have some similarities to setsuna. when it comes to karin , she basicially have the same no nonsense attitude as her. except when she is near yukihime. just like how setsuna is more laid back when she is close to her "oujo-sama" (konoka)! the only problem: her devotion to yukihime/eva and her deep distain for all men, especially tota is more reminiscent of index/railgin's kuroko! the only thing left was if karin had called yukihime onee-chan just like what kuroko calls mikasa.

also i wouldnt trust those promo arts if i was you! they can tend to be EXREMELY MISLEADING AT TIMES

the only way the series will go to that arc is that if its a very long series or they do like boku no hero academia and have multiple 12 or 13 ep seasons.

Id like to withhold judgement on how long this series will run for until we can get a proper confirmation.

Ep 11

This is where things start to get interesting although there will still be MANY Negima references and throwbacks later. Its impossible for there not to be when Negi still plays an important role in the story.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
After skipping the underground monster fighting arc for the "fight a UQ Holder test" it looks like they're animating this slum battle much more closely to the manga; though unless I'm mistaken they did skip over the reveal of exactly which gender Kuromaru is, so I wonder if that will even come up later.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
After skipping the underground monster fighting arc for the "fight a UQ Holder test" it looks like they're animating this slum battle much more closely to the manga; though unless I'm mistaken they did skip over the reveal of exactly which gender Kuromaru is, so I wonder if that will even come up later.

Itll come up later assuming the anime lasts long enough to reach a certain point
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I noticed they skipped Karin fight with the blind man was dropped. It would have been epic, especially with spoiler[her being teleported to the moon.].

Episode 4 was certainly action pack, but it wasn't as good as it could be.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Yukihime was just lying at the end there.

So, after reading ahead in the manga it's interesting how this episode technically gives all the information you need to work out Karin's backstory if you pay attention.

spoiler[Her power is a curse/blessing from God, she has a glowing number 13 on her back when she uses it, and people think her real name is something like "Ishkarinorte." Can you guess who she's meant to be yet? Very Happy ]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

So, after reading ahead in the manga it's interesting how this episode technically gives all the information you need to work out Karin's backstory if you pay attention.

spoiler[Her power is a curse/blessing from God, she has a glowing number 13 on her back when she uses it, and people think her real name is something like "Ishkarinorte." Can you guess who she's meant to be yet? Very Happy ]

spoiler[Where i saw episode. I think i got bad translation, since they were doing her backstory as describing her being from 1942...which wasn't suppose to be that late. She was suppose to be Joan Arc almost.]
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Showsni wrote:

spoiler[Where i saw episode. I think i got bad translation, since they were doing her backstory as describing her being from 1942...which wasn't suppose to be that late. She was suppose to be Joan Arc almost.]

That must be a typo, it's supposed to be 1492. But
spoiler[That's just when she picked up the nickname "Steel Saint." Her actual origin story is much earlier, closer to year 30 or so. Ishkarinorte - Iskariot. 13 on her back - the 13th member at the Last Supper. Yes, she's actually Judas Iscariot (who I guess in the world of this anime was a young girl). After betraying Jesus and hanging herself, God cursed/blessed her to never die, grow old or be injured.]
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Wrangler wrote:
Showsni wrote:

That must be a typo, it's supposed to be 1492. But
spoiler[That's just when she picked up the nickname "Steel Saint." Her actual origin story is much earlier, closer to year 30 or so. Ishkarinorte - Iskariot. 13 on her back - the 13th member at the Last Supper. Yes, she's actually Judas Iscariot (who I guess in the world of this anime was a young girl). After betraying Jesus and hanging herself, God cursed/blessed her to never die, grow old or be injured.]

spoiler[I missed the Judas...i thought the XIII was for her being 13th member of the UQ Holders. Why in the world would someone from 1492 be the 13th member. There was no sign i saw of her being part of them. Judas was suppose to be a man...]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
spoiler[Judas was suppose to be a man...]

spoiler[So was Oda Nobunaga, why let that get in the way of anime stories]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6