• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gets Live-Action Screen Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
VERY good chance this is gonna be trash...

Let's just get that new anime adaptation out and call those live action films a wash.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
But... how? I would understand if someone decided to make an Arslan live-action adaptation. It is possible. LoGH, however? It will require an absolutely crazy budget. And that's only technical side of things - I'm not even talking about script and direction.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Chinese?

This is gonna be a dumpster fire, isn’t it? They don’t have the budget for this.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the only way you could really do proper justice to such a story in live action is to have an international cast and the budget of several Hollywood films.

princess passa passa wrote:
VERY good chance this is gonna be trash...

Let's just get that new anime adaptation out and call those live action films a wash.

Well, we also don't know if the new anime will be good or not either....
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
All the rights now keep fling of the shelves left and right there days. Doing LogH justice with only 6+ hours and a no-name production company. Yeah, good luck.
Wake my up when the Battlestar Galactica, the The Expanse or the Star Trek Discovery team get the tv rights. Or hopefully the Krypton team, as that trailer sure looked like something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
What's with all the live action adapted from anime/manga lately? Last week was Ga-rei now this? Haven't they learn from the three disasters this year (GitS, JoJo, Death Note).

Oh and there's the Blade of the Immortal one coming soon.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* I hope it's not dumpster fire, but it seems bit crazy that their going make Chinese Live-Action version. It's either ambitious gamble try get franchise some notice beyond die-hard fans of the series or another venue to get some money. I'm not sure what the popularity of the series beyond Japan is.

I know it's very obscure in North America. I know about my brother pointed out the Youtube vids of it.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see the Chinese Imperial version of 1980s Space Prussia. I mean, I did have fun with the immortal body-swapping teenaged space vampires from spoiler[Valvrave], so...

But if the new adaptation turns out to be just average, this one's entertainment value might just end up topping it, for all the wrong reasons.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is gonna be a dumpster fire, isn’t it? They don’t have the budget for this.

Some Chinese film production studios barely have the budget for a good dumpster fire!
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
What's with all the live action adapted from anime/manga lately? Last week was Ga-rei now this? Haven't they learn from the three disasters this year (GitS, JoJo, Death Note).

Oh and there's the Blade of the Immortal one coming soon.

Sign that not just Hollywood is creatively bankrupt but the global film industry as a whole. Other film industries are looking at what Hollywood is doing and think it must be a good idea. I think we've only had 1 good anime adaption so far and that's the Kenshin films even if I felt 2 was lacking compared to 1 and 3. We're also now getting a 4th one.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This is one property I thought would actually be a good fit for a western live-action adaptation. It's just that somebody would have to be willing to take the risk and put a real budget into it.

In any case, do we know yet if the original OVA is getting a home video release in the west? Or is streaming gonna be it?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
One Piece, where ya at?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1