• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: HYOUKA Part Two BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
I finally get the hype surrounding the series and am disappointed there hasn't been another season since then. It's definitely one of the better mystery series in the past decade.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
I agree that Hyouka is one of the best anime series. I had a good time watching it, but in the end the abrupt ending took away some of the show's luster. I have not watched it again since it came out in 2012 and look forward to Funimation's BD's and English dub.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
I liked where Hyouka ended but getting there was quite the struggle; Right off the bat, the over indulgent "School Festival" arc was built around Agatha Christie's The ABC Murders, one of Christie's "The Big Three"... the others being Murder on the Orient Express... oh, topical!..., And Then There Were None and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Yeah, you see one problem right away, yes? The ABC Murders was a "take that" to the use of serial killers in the mystery genre and its plot, applying the Purloined Letter to murder, showcased why that was. I still can't appreciate it to this day because the way she did it, the murderer spoiler[wanted to kill victim "c" but in order to hide it, also killed someone "a", someone "b" and hastily someone "d". So Christie wrote a story where the killer was a plotting, cold sociopath for two murders, a hot psycho for one and a bumbling culprit for the fourth just so he'd get caught], so it comes off as a "whodunit?" satire for something that honestly should not be solvable by the usual mystery detectives. So when this novel was used as the basis for a Japanese mystery... "Do you know the ABC Murders?"

"I know that story, it's about misdirection", I thought, thinking that one of the stolen items was the real target and the other just decoys. Aha!
"It's about a man who kills people alphabetically", they said.

While not being wrong, it's not only something you can get from the back cover synopsis, it's right there in the title.

Suffice to say, Part 2 and I were not getting off to a good start and it only got worse... mostly because this is not the first "School Festival" Kyoto Animation has done and to say that this is better than Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya... which starts with the Sports Festival, moves on to the preparing for the Art Festival... its created "movie as episode" and the following Art Festival itself of "Live Alive"... five episodes of anticipation, the finished product itself in all its "glory" and one episode of basking in the afterglow which was the actual event itself... What Suzumiya did was showcase that the buildup is more important than the event itself while what Hyouka did was put on Nostalgia Glasses for Epic Events! Chance Encounters! and The Multiple Day Extravaganza of Your School Life!... for people with too much time on their hands and little interest in doing anything. Huh, how did that happen? Or maybe why?

{Continued in part 2}
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Man I really want to see this, but Funi won’t stream the subtitled version. No offense to dubs, but I usually prefer watching in the original language my first time viewing. Maybe they’ll give the sub to CR in the future, but that could take another year or so, so I guess I’ll have to wait.
Silent-Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching Hyouka last night in English and I agree with Nick's assessment of the dub. Madeline Morris had the weakest performance as Eru Chitanda and everyone else sounded fantastic especially Adam Gibbs as Oreki with his natural lethargic delivery. Can't wait to rewatch the show in Japanese and see which version I prefer lol!

Akin to Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Hyouka is one of the very few KyoAni shows I legitimately like and I finally figured out why: they both have Yasuhiro Takemoto as the director. He's my personal favourite director at KyoAni - sorry Naoko Yamada, not a fan of your style. I'll be checking out his other works soon.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
{Hyouka Part 2's part 2... brevity may be the soul of wit but mine is rambling with an eventual point, sometimes. Not always, but sometimes...}

And after having made it safely out of Culture Festival but not really understanding or caring about its resolution... something about someone spoiler[making a work of art the year before, a doujinshi but an original one, but upset about not making a similar work of art... this year? With his friends? By working out the plot he had in reality...which was based on an Agatha Christie story?] It resolved, let's leave it at that.

This multipart epic fail was followed by a series of episodic episodes that I mostly only remember for how banal they were... Sherlock Holmes never solved "The Adventure of Why the Parade Crossed the Street" or "The Adventure of Leaving the Locked Shed. No, Really. That's the Story" for a reason. But I really liked that last episode which finally brought the series back to the feel of wonderment that the first episode had.

I still feel cheated over the lack of the promised grand meaning/mystery to the main characters seemingly interconnected backgrounds... or else they're both autistic and the series was about one's attempts to add grandiose meaning to the meaningless and the other's desire to take it all away...

I do agree it looks pretty but that's like agreeing it was made by Kyoto Animation, right? Like Gosick I was hoping for more and while I wasn't as disappointed here as I was with that mess... not to dissemble again but when a series points out how the main character is a known and celebrated shut in who never leaves the safety of the library in the episode right after the multipart opening arc where she went on a mysterious sea cruise filled with murderous strangers as a meaningful characteristic, something went wrong... it's still not as good as it's rumored to be.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree that Hyouka is one of the best anime series. I had a good time watching it, but in the end the abrupt ending took away some of the show's luster. .

This right here. I thought the people subbing it just dropped the ball until I googled it after two weeks of no new episode. It really didn't feel like even a decent stopping point to me.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Given that Eru Chitanda is the toughest character to pin down vocally, I think Madeline Morris did an admirable job. It's just that everyone else were so amazing in their roles
that her performance seems a little weaker by comparison. It really is a great dub overall, and I'd urge people to watch it just for Adam Gibbs' performance as Houtarou alone. I much prefer Adam's take on the character over the seiyuu (not that the seiyuu does a bad job or anything).

Last edited by Raebo101 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
I finally get the hype surrounding the series and am disappointed there hasn't been another season since then. It's definitely one of the better mystery series in the past decade.
Maybe they covered the entire novel, and have no more material to adapt.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Morry wrote:

When the anime came out four of the then 5 novels were adapted into the anime. Since then there has been an extra novel published in 2016 so there would probably be enough for a single cour.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Morry wrote:

When the anime came out four of the then 5 novels were adapted into the anime. Since then there has been an extra novel published in 2016 so there would probably be enough for a single cour.
I thought this was adapted from the original 2001 novel?. Like how Welcome to the NHK has a Manga but the Anime is adapted from the original Novel.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MarshalBanana"]
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I thought this was adapted from the original 2001 novel?. Like how Welcome to the NHK has a Manga but the Anime is adapted from the original Novel.

The first novel is titled Hyouka and deals with the issue of the uncle. The series itself is called The Classic Literature Club. There are 6 volumes in total published. The anime covered 4 of the volumes.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Mr. Creamer. Also, sure enough, Animegomaniac voices their “personal complaints” here that I have no doubt nobody would agree with. This is one of my favorite Kyoto Animation anime and it’s such a pleasure to watch. This is also one of the few anime that I’ve watched up to this point in time that had me actually ship characters in it. Not surprising at all in retrospect, since to those who have watched it, who wouldn’t like to see that happen? I surely hope that more anime can be made for this, but it doesn’t seem likely to happen anytime soon. Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Morry wrote:

The first novel is titled Hyouka and deals with the issue of the uncle. The series itself is called The Classic Literature Club. There are 6 volumes in total published. The anime covered 4 of the volumes.
Oh I see, thanks for the info, I thought it was just one novel and then a spin off series.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hyou-ka's conclusion tethers the show's romantic pretensions to its grounded perspective and evocative melancholy, offering a beautifully realized proposal that never betrays Hyou-ka's understanding of emotional and societal limitations.
The most poetic and elegant description of one of the worst "spit-in-your-face" bait and switch cheap trick endings in anime I've yet to see and the best way to kill a sale with grounded burning wreakage. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3