• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How Has Love Live! Sunshine!! Changed The Idol Anime Game?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just need Ruby to say a single swear, and Love Live! Sunshine!! season 2 will be 10/10 AOTY. Do it Sunrise, you cowards.

lol Hearing Cristina Vee's Kotori say "crap" toward Honoka was pretty funny, if not a little out of place, in the dub.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I will break the ice with Idol shows. After all, I like Macross and Senki Zesshou Symphogear.
athimmel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I always worry that being an adult male I'll look like a perv for liking this franchise so much.

In the end ... I don't care. I can watch the original and Sunshine repeatedly and enjoy it each time. I even love the music. So for those of you out there who think this is just a silly show about singing idol girls ... for shame. Give it a try and enjoy. No, it isn't the deepest show out there, nor is it going to stop trying to manipulate your emotions, but that doesn't matter. It's joyful and fun and a pleasure to watch.

While I agree that the twist was appropriate in that they couldn't save the school, part of me still wishes that they could, no matter how unreasonable. Happy endings are great in this negative world we tolerate. At the very least, I want them to win Love Live, because that's how it should be. Don't argue. Just accept that statement as good.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I would agree that the franchise is a good introduction to idol anime, as the original series was my own entry point into the genre. It doesn’t show the dark side of the industry but that’s not its role in the genre. I think it is both an embodiment of the ideals of the genre (and the industry) and also a vision of a better version of the industry, free of the agencies and producers and record companies that exploit and bind the performers. I’m not going to pretend it’s some high-minded and realistic show, but there is a reason why the audience, at least for the original series and in Japan, was broader than just male otaku.

While I don’t have an opinion on the various ships, I will say that Nico is a very respectable choice for best girl, even if she isn’t my first choice (Maki).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I need the scene where Nico shows up as the grizzled old school idol veteran who sits down with Aqours to give them some gruff, tough love. DON'T DISAPPOINT ME, SUNSHINE.

Actually, I want Chika to meet old grizzled Honoka, preferably on a small island a la Rey meeting Luke at the end of The Force Awakens. Maybe S2 can end with Chika handing Honoka's microphone back to her. But this doesn't square with my headcanon that Honkers is actually a time-traveler, and that the strangely helpful Japanese guitar busker in New York in the movie was actually a future version of Honoka herself.
kaorv

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
the gifs in this installment are so powerful
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings on the franchise as a whole. First series season 1 I felt was bad in most aspects as I could never bring myself to like it. First series season 2 it took a few episodes for me to warm up to it but at ep 5 I was swayed into liking it. Sunshine s1 was more the same but without the parts I hated from the first so I rather enjoyed it. I honestly have SS s2 on the back burner because I feel all the characters became memes for the most part where whatever gimmick they had in the first season became their only defining part of them in s2 at least was until I stopped watching. I was honestly pretty late to the LL game since I only saw the first season back in 2014 and I loathed it and then didn't watch anything related to LL til early 2017 where I finally decided to give it a shot again. Once the season ends I'll probably continue to watch it.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I am loving this series so much! Proud to be a Love Live fan! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Literally all of this, StarMyu does better.

Except, StarMyu is about boys, so male fans dismiss it as fujoshi trash, and female fans dismiss it to avoid looking like fujoshi "trash".

I love μ's, but Aqours just never got me the same way.

StarMyu does a lot of great things narratively in the first season, and even more so in the second season, but that got about no attention outside of Japan...
dcmkp2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

Except, StarMyu is about boys, so male fans dismiss it as fujoshi trash, and female fans dismiss it to avoid looking like fujoshi "trash".

StarMyu does a lot of great things narratively in the first season, and even more so in the second season, but that got about no attention outside of Japan...

First Idolish7 with Marginal#4, and now this....

You don’t really have to keep comparing popular series you don’t like with underrated ones you do like just to make the latter look better you know. That won’t make us want to try it out.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
dcmkp2 wrote:
#861208 wrote:

First Idolish7 with Marginal#4, and now this....

You don’t really have to keep comparing popular series you don’t like with underrated ones you do like just to make the latter look better you know. That won’t make us want to try it out.

Must be a fujoshi extremist who thinks fujoshi conquers all. Or maybe an angry self-insert fan who is mad that Love Live does not have its own >Producer-san. Probably a yuri-hating ecchi harem fanatic as well. Then again, just looking at the name and that stuff that person brings as you put it, the person is simply a troll.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:

What do you mean, "dismiss"? You watch both seasons of the show, see that it's trash, observe that it's targeted heavily towards a fujoshi audience – doesn't that make it fujoshi trash?

Outdoing Love Live!'s dramatic writing would also really not be a high bar to clear, even if I did think any of StarMu was better than episode 7 of Sunshine!! S2. Most dramatic episodes in Love Live! manage to be inoffensive at best: what makes the series good is the quality of its humour, interactions between its relatively simple and quirk-defined characters, visual and sound direction, overall production values, music and sense of larger-than-life fun, compared aptly by Steve in this article to a musical. All of this is generally done quite well across Love Live! and to a mediocre degree by forgettable shows like StarMu.

Honestly, they're not similar at all. I don't know why you bothered to bring it up. There's also the obvious point that Love Live! has had three seasons and a movie of having everything turn out okay in the end thanks to luck and gumption that this contrasts with, as opposed to a series having this kind of angle to start with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1