• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's RIN-NE Manga Ends in 3 Chapters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to guess what her next manga is going to be. There's going to be a love story between a couple that's always bickering throughout 90% of the series. The guy is an arrogant dick who will very often provoke his love interest, but the love interest is ill-tempered, assumes the worst out of the guy, and calls him a jerk/pervert even in moments where he didn't provoke her. Also, Kappei Yamaguchi will be in the anime somewhere.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
There's going to be a love story between a couple that's always bickering throughout 90% of the series. The guy is an arrogant dick who will very often provoke his love interest, but the love interest is ill-tempered, assumes the worst out of the guy, and calls him a jerk/pervert even in moments where he didn't provoke her. .

Clearly you haven't read/watched RIN-NE. There's almost no situations like this at all.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This just makes me more upset that the anime won't get a fourth season. I just caught up with the latest manga summaries, and it looks like the final arc started with chapter 389 and will take up all of volume 40, which will be the last one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
@ Zhou-BR: why don't you think the anime won't get a 4th season? Is there not enough material for one?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
There's going to be a love story between a couple that's always bickering throughout 90% of the series. The guy is an arrogant dick who will very often provoke his love interest, but the love interest is ill-tempered, assumes the worst out of the guy, and calls him a jerk/pervert even in moments where he didn't provoke her. .

Clearly you haven't read/watched RIN-NE. There's almost no situations like this at all.

Well, if it breaks the Takahashi Formula, I might be interested.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen anyone talk about this series ever.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Hoping the best for Jumonji.

Blood- wrote:
@ Zhou-BR: why don't you think the anime won't get a 4th season? Is there not enough material for one?

A lot of anime are just advertisements for manga. I'm hoping for a fourth season as well though.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

I know!

At this point in time, I think I've seen more discussion about Macross Delta and the vast majority of opinion on that show is negative.

Rin-Ne? Nobody really cares at this point.

In the 1990s, Takahashi was a very big draw in the manga and anime circles internationally. I went to a few cons back then and she certainly was HUGE draw... At the San Diego Comic Con she attended, there was a line going on for a few hours from what I've heard... I think that may have also been the first and LAST time she came to the US, too. The Ranma voice actors -- at least 3 of them -- have visited the US 2-4 times. They seem to cope well with the con environment and fans. SDCC is probably NOT the best place for a shut-in/recluse to make a their US debut! Horrible environment for people who don't like crowds or are even mildly agoraphobic. Her popularity might have peaked in the West (the US, at any rate) in the early 2000s when Ranma 1/2 was first released on DVD in season sets.
Inu Yasha was popular as well but I have my doubts for the longevity of that series (popularity-wise). It has its fanbase but I'm not its as big as as Ranma and even that isn't as popular in Japan as Urusei Yatsura was. Ranma seems to be doing fine on Blu ray although there was bitching months back that two of the North American limited edition press sets were criminally under-printed causing a MASSIVE price-hike spike online. Par the course for Viz!
You hear more now about the 30th anniversary of the Ranma 1/2 manga as well as the recent death of the original Ukyo actress... Rin-Ne (manga AND anime) arrived and nobody seemed to notice!
I was very surprised when Viz passed on the anime license for Rin-Ne despite the fact they're publishing the manga but I guess the manga and anime markets are considered separate deals. That company tended to license both Takahashi manga and anime tie-ins in the past with notable exceptions (the original Rumic World OVAs and the Urusei Yatsura anime) In Japan, manga and anime pretty much go hand-in-hand (FAR tighter tie-ins between their comics and comic-inspired animated series) and there's almost no major author/manga series that doesn't have an anime promoting the manga. That's why so many shows end abruptly because the manga hasn't finished and the author hasn't decided on the ending yet! Still, I almost think that's better than having all the filler episodes and so-so animation that's been a staple of long-running anime forever while the show waits for the manga to get ahead and create story material to adapt directly... DBZ and Ranma 1/2 itself are infamous for having a lot of sub-par episodes; that was true for Naruto and Bleach from what I understand (I didn't see much of those last two shows and didn't care for what I saw of them).
I know a little bit about Rin-Ne but the premise just doesn't interest me that much and it sounds like at least a half-dozen other series I'm aware of, too.
I'd be more interested in seeing some of Takahashi's older tie-in anime shows being re-released on Blu ray but, again, her popularity just isn't what it was 10-15 years ago... A ton of people have missed out on some good shows and really good, goofy old shows like Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura. I think those and the Mermaid Forest TV series and OVAs are arguably better than Inu Yasha for sure. They're certainly less repetitive and cyclical than Ranma was,too, and that's probably her best-known series worldwide.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Seif wrote:

I know!

At this point in time, I think I've seen more discussion about Macross Delta and the vast majority of opinion on that show is negative.

In the 1990s, Takahashi was a very big draw in the manga and anime circles internationally. I went to a few cons back then and she certainly was HUGE draw... At the San Diego Comic Con she attended, there was a line going on for a few hours from what I've heard... I think that may have also been the first and LAST time she came to the US, too. The Ranma voice actors -- at least 3 of them -- have visited the US 2-4 times. They seem to cope well with the con environment and fans. SDCC is probably NOT the best place for a shut-in/recluse to make a their US debut! Horrible environment for people who don't like crowds or are even mildly agoraphobic. Her popularity might have peaked in the West (the US, at any rate) in the early 2000s when Ranma 1/2 was first released on DVD in season sets.
Inu Yasha was popular as well but I have my doubts for the longevity of that series (popularity-wise). It has its fanbase but I'm not its as big as as Ranma and even that isn't as popular in Japan as Urusei Yatsura was. Ranma seems to be doing fine on Blu ray although there was bitching months back that two of the North American limited edition press sets were criminally under-printed causing a MASSIVE price-hike spike online. Par the course for Viz!
You hear more now about the 30th anniversary of the Ranma 1/2 manga as well as the recent death of the original Ukyo actress... Rin-Ne (manga AND anime) arrived and nobody seemed to notice!
I was very surprised when Viz passed on the anime license for Rin-Ne despite the fact they're publishing the manga but I guess the manga and anime markets are considered separate deals. That company tended to license both Takahashi manga and anime tie-ins in the past with notable exceptions (the original Rumic World OVAs and the Urusei Yatsura anime) In Japan, manga and anime pretty much go hand-in-hand (FAR tighter tie-ins between their comics and comic-inspired animated series) and there's almost no major author/manga series that doesn't have an anime promoting the manga. That's why so many shows end abruptly because the manga hasn't finished and the author hasn't decided on the ending yet! Still, I almost think that's better than having all the filler episodes and so-so animation that's been a staple of long-running anime forever while the show waits for the manga to get ahead and create story material to adapt directly... DBZ and Ranma 1/2 itself are infamous for having a lot of sub-par episodes; that was true for Naruto and Bleach from what I understand (I didn't see much of those last two shows and didn't care for what I saw of them).
I know a little bit about Rin-Ne but the premise just doesn't interest me that much and it sounds like at least a half-dozen other series I'm aware of, too.
I'd be more interested in seeing some of Takahashi's older tie-in anime shows being re-released on Blu ray but, again, her popularity just isn't what it was 10-15 years ago... A ton of people have missed out on some good shows and really good, goofy old shows like Maison Ikkoku and Urusei Yatsura. I think those and the Mermaid Forest TV series and OVAs are arguably better than Inu Yasha for sure. They're certainly less repetitive and cyclical than Ranma was,too, and that's probably her best-known series worldwide.

Ranma was great and never once got boring or less funny, no matter how much the execution of many chapters were the very same to previous ones though.

No wonder it's her better known series, it was also her most enjoyable romcom manga. When you have something that's obviously repetitive at any point and yet it's never overdone nor dull, that's when I say you are doing some great comedic punchline work (and Ranma have SO MANY of these, and they are all really iconical).

Rinne was the one who got closest to it in my opinion, really nice manga. I wonder if she is going back to more serious stuff like Inuyasha again (talking about it, it still is one of the manga with biggest named character body-count I know, and I read some crazy stuff).
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Oh hallelujah it's finally over! Please Rumiko if you write another series can you please make it as epic (or more) and memorable as Urusei Yatsura, Ranma1/2 or Maison Ikkoku? No offense but all your latest stuff has been nothing but Bland and boring.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
When Viz Media began simul-publishing it, I think that may have the been 1st time an official simul-pub happened.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Seif wrote:

I know!

Incorrect about Naruto and Bleach.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

On the Rumiko Takahashi episode of ANNCast, they found it quite remarkable that it had made so little impact on fandom even though it had been running for nearly a decade. In fact, it's now her second-longest-running series by tankobon count if Wikipedia's numbers are correct:

Urusei Yatsura: 34 volumes, ~9 years
Maison Ikkoku: 15 volumes, 6.5 years
Ranma ½: 38 volumes, 9.5 years
Inuyasha: 56 volumes, 11.5 years
Rin-ne: 40 volumes, 8.5 years

All of the first four are legends in their own right, with Urusei Yatsura having basically invented the modern shonen rom-com and Ranma and Inuyasha having been titans of American anime fandom in their day (Inuyasha is still the third-largest anime category on FanFiction.Net, after Naruto and Hetalia, though it's like #34 on AO3, which is skewed more to recent titles like Haikyu, Attack on Titan, and YOI) -- and this one barely made a ripple. I think the figure quoted on ANNCast was 3 million volumes in print, which is nothing compared to the others.

Honestly, Rin-ne's greatest historical significance may have been its status as -- if I recall correctly -- the first free English manga simulpub, though they didn't use that name then. And it only lasted I think 89 chapters, less than two years.

In any event, I don't know if Takahashi will do another 10-plus-volume series -- a weekly manga series is a young woman's game, and her kohai Hirohiko Araki had to go monthly when he was in his mid-forties. Still, if George Miller can pull off Mad Max: Fury Road at age 70, I'll be there to see what Takahashi decides to do with her sixties.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Clearly we haven't been reading the same manga, because that's exactly what Rin-Ne has been, just with more window dressing.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
Why is it that when even long-running manga ends (and presumably not for the reason of "this doesn't sell good enough, so let's get rid of it as quickly as possible"), the publishers seem to wait until the last possible moment before announcing it? Are the worried that if they say that so-and-so will end four months from now, people will immediately lose interest and stop buying it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3