• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Batman Ninja Anime's New Trailer Reveals Japanese Cast, Theatrical Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
But... that's samurai armor...
fx434

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Is Batman still Bruce Wayne or there is a new person calling himself Batman
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
I think it’s also worth noting that Yamadera previously voiced Batman in LEGO Movie and LEGO Batman.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
No, thank you. It looks worse than Gotham by Gaslight. The hell is happening to DC? They hit gold with Flashpoint and DKR but have been on downhill ever since.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Poison Ivy, Deadshot and Gorilla Grodd, but in medieval Japanese setting? God damn.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
Rie Kugimiya as Harley Quinn? Well I guess that fits. Just surprised neither Tessho Genda or Shinichiro Miki got Batman's role considering they did him in the Gotham Knight movie back in 2008. In fact that movie had them alternating voices depending on parts of the movie you were watching. Genda actually also did the Japanese dub for the Batman:Animated Series back in the 90s.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Man I really hope that this gets dubbed with the same English cast from the Batman Arkham video game series. Seriously no one does the Joker justice except Mark Hamill. Wink
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
I think it’s also worth noting that Yamadera previously voiced Batman in LEGO Movie and LEGO Batman.

He also voiced him the dub of the 1989 film as well.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
But... that's samurai armor...

Batman told Kyodai Ken that he is not ninja, he is a samurai.
But come on, Batman is totally a ninja.

The Japanese title is Ninja Batman.
We are only one step away from Ninja Baseball Batman, people!!
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Takagi does a mean Joker. Interested in Harley Quinn as well.

fx434 wrote:

Alfred still called him Master Bruce in the trailer. Looks like he got sent back in time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
fx434 wrote:

Everyone else seems to be calling him Bruce (well, those who know who he is anyway), so I'm guessing this is Bruce Wayne, somehow transported back to Japan hundreds of years ago and speaking fluent Japanese.

MajorZero wrote:
No, thank you. It looks worse than Gotham by Gaslight. The hell is happening to DC? They hit gold with Flashpoint and DKR but have been on downhill ever since.

I dunno...I like the way this looks, in a pure cornball knd of way.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Man I really hope that this gets dubbed with the same English cast from the Batman Arkham video game series. Seriously no one does the Joker justice except Mark Hamill. Wink

I find it amusing that Mark Hamill wanted to retire from voice acting but keeps coming back to voice Joker.

mrsatan wrote:
We are only one step away from Ninja Baseball Batman, people!!

Darn it, you stole my line!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
"I find it amusing that Mark Hamill wanted to retire from voice acting but keeps coming back to voice Joker."

There are more people born after the 1980s who know Mark Hamill as the voice of The Joker than playing Luke Skywalker in the live-action Star Wars movies.

On Rob Paulsen's (he's the voice actor best-known as the original Raphael from TMNT, Pinky from Pinky & the Brain, and Yakko from Animaniacs) podcast, which he does live, they had 200 people in the audience and NOBODY asked Hamill any Star Wars questions.
They wanted to know about The Joker role and his voice-acting!

And no, you're mistaken... He didn't want to quit voice-acting, he wanted to stop doing The Joker but I'm sure someone convinced him to go back or they paid him more to keep doing it. He's doing that Justice League Action series which is very much a kids show... and there are kids who don't like that series, either -- especially if they've been exposed to the earlier (and far superior) Justice League/Justice League Unlimited animated series.

As for comments about other DC animated projects --
Look, most people who have followed this since the early 1990s noticed a significant drop in quality after 2011.
It's mainly problems with the writing, voice casting, and voice direction. These have gotten noticeably worse as people (mainly the writers) have moved on to work with other companies or retired. There's also been changes in editorial policy at DC Comics which forced WB Animation to redesign the Justice League characters and make them conform to the "DC-52" universe which most of the long-term traditional fans HATED.
The last 5 or 6 years of projects have not seen a lot of good animated work from WB and DC in particular. It's been very mediocre but at least no worse than what Marvel puts out for its animated projects!
The last DC project I really liked was Justice League: Monsters & Gods. I really didn't care for The Killing Joke and only the second Adam West/Batman animated film entertained me. The rest of the other projects were awful/very forgettable including The Suicide Squad movie, all the Justice League stuff (other than the one I mentioned) AFTER Flashpoint. Batman & Harley was an awful way to cap off the 25th anniversary of Batman:TAS!!
It's very much judge things on a film by film basis where DC animation is concerned (unless you're a masochist who has to buy everything in sight, day of release) but the track record hasn't been very good for at least 5-6 years now!
The problem I see with Gotham By Gaslight are story changes (they added Catwoman and made other additions which I'm sure aren't in the original comic which I DID read) NOT the actual character designs because I seriously doubt very many people actually like the art style of Mike Mignola, the artist for the original comic version of Gotham By Gaslight.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
So I watch it with dub or sub ? Oh bother I'm before a dilema ! Anime dazed

Please people choose for me Anime cry
aereus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
For those wondering: Yes, they all suddenly get transported back in time to Warring States period Japan. Now all they need to do is a crossover with the Turtles in Time movie...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
The story doesn´t look all that hot but the style is on point. The Red Hood design is quite funny and you have to love Grodd.

@AkaRed Would you watch Batman TAS in Japanese? No? Then subs it is. Certainly for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2