• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Who's the MVP of Libra in Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theozilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Since the next episode is confirmed to be “Bratatat Mom” (Chapter 25, third chapter of Volume 9). That all but guarantees that the last two episodes will be adapting the rest of the Volume 10 content/story arc (since the the prologue chapters from Volume 10 were adapted into the opening scenes of this season’s sixth episode and the villain from the Volume 10 (which served as a partial climax for the series before it went on break and switched magazines) appears in the anime ED credits visuals). That leaves only two full chapters, specifically “The Outlaw Of Green"-(Chapter 16, third chapter of Volume 6 and apparently a Klaus focused story) and “Escape From Pain: Chain Reaction"-(Chapter 19, third chapter of Volume 7) and three x.5 chapters (which are unlikely to ever be adapted except for the 10.5. "Cherchez L'idole" one) from the original 10 Volume manga series/run.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I’ve been vastly preferring this season of BBB.

The White & Black story from the first season actually wasn’t that good. Especially since in hindsight it clearly pushes the source material aside just to fit in there and in the process leaving a lot of the cast underdeveloped.

This season is what BBB actually is like, and I prefer this. There is nothing wrong with episodic series, certainly nothing wrong to the extent of requiring an original story crashing in trying to “fix” things by giving it a continuing narrative. Imagine if they tried to do that with I dunno, Mushi-Shi for example.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm getting sick of hearing people complain "when will the plot start?". The Black/White scenes in season 1 were completely disjointed, all they did was take screen time from characters that actually matter. And for what, just to see Leo having lunch with them or share a train ride for a few minutes. And in the end their climax was incredibly disappointing. I prefer having exciting full episodes over tossing half-assed "cliffhangers" in each episode.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Honestly I’ve been vastly preferring this season of BBB.

The White & Black story from the first season actually wasn’t that good. Especially since in hindsight it clearly pushes the source material aside just to fit in there and in the process leaving a lot of the cast underdeveloped.

This season is what BBB actually is like, and I prefer this. There is nothing wrong with episodic series, certainly nothing wrong to the extent of requiring an original story crashing in trying to “fix” things by giving it a continuing narrative. Imagine if they tried to do that with I dunno, Mushi-Shi for example.

Same. The "overarching plot" of the first season was hardly the highlight of the show. To me, it felt out of place: on the one hand, we have the wacky highjinks of Libra, and then there was that kind of somber-ish(?) storyline shoehorned in. It definitely didn't fit the tone of the story. Also, as far as I'm concerned, the pacing was way too fast. I had trouble keeping up and sometimes I had no idea what was happening.

I do agree with Steve that Chain is the best. Definitely my favorite character of the series. Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
That was a really fun read. I really love both seasons of this show and am loving seeing more about the rest of the members this season. I hope this season won't be the end.

G S Palmer wrote:
I do agree with Steve that Chain is the best. Definitely my favorite character of the series. Very Happy

Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the first season, but I don't think season 2 is any sort of step down in most respects. And I'm honestly thankful that it's not quite as overwhelming to follow. I think I might also like it slightly better than season 1, simply because it's an easier watch. I appreciate season 1 quite a lot, regardless, but season 2 has been more fun for me. It could be that I'm just in the right mood for it now, unlike the first season though.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
It took some getting used to regarding the shift to a more episodic season, but the White and Black story seemed like it was more of an add-on, especially since it wasn't something that the show spent a lot of time on until the end. I'll give Beyond credit. I kept reading comments about how great certain charters are, especially Chain, and I didn't see it since they seemed to just sort of be there in season 1. Season 2 changed that.
srlracing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
I just can't get over the loss of Rie Matsumoto. Every scene and every cut I just cannot help imagining how she would do it. I mourn at the end of every episode that she isn't a part of the show now. It is not that this season is bad and if season 1 did not exist I would be wildly in love with this season. Its just as was said... diet soda.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
I'm way more invested this season than the first, which I thought was okay. The huge focus on Black and White didn't really grab and shoved all of the character I thought I would have liked to the side. So I'm really enjoying finally having episodes dedicated to the Libra members who aren't Leo or Klaus.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
I miss Rie Matsumoto, but 1. I'm not sure the White & Black story was wholly her idea and 2. I think the show works better without it. I'm usually not a fan of episodic shows, especially slower slice-of-life types, but BBB(&B)'s worldbuilding, pace, and characters more than make up for any lack of serialization. It's a damn fun show to watch.
Needed that LOL about Fish Sticks in the intro after listening to Guillermo del Toro describe in an interview that in The Shape of Water spoiler[the heroine and amphibious river god character consummate their relationship]. The Fishie fandom revolution might be upon us yet. At least Zed will get some new fans!
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I definitely prefer this season to the first. It does exactly what I want it to: give more background to its intriguing characters. Though, the battle fan in me does hope a war arc comes after this.Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1