• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Shortlisted for Academy's Visual Effects Category

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Would I be correct in saying that awards of this nature are the cinematographic equivalent of a graphics benchmark, that is to say, awards which reflect substantial effort but will be soon rendered obsolete by ordinary technological developments?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Would I be correct in saying that awards of this nature are the cinematographic equivalent of a graphics benchmark, that is to say, awards which reflect substantial effort but will be soon rendered obsolete by ordinary technological developments?

Perhaps, but so is basically every other category. Acting processes change, directing thoughts change, scriptwriting quality changes, etc. Regardless, GITS ain't getting nominated.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
So a huge pioneering work of 2D animation hailed for its story and insights on being human is on the shortlist to get praised just for the live action version's computer graphics - That's pretty Meta for how far this movie missed the point.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:26 am Reply with quote
I miss you more than that movie missed the point, and that’s an awful lot girl...

Pearl Harbor won an Oscar for sound editing. Suicide Squad won an award for costumes. Didn’t stop the films from being terrible.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I miss you more than that movie missed the point, and that’s an awful lot girl...

Pearl Harbor won an Oscar for sound editing. Suicide Squad won an award for costumes. Didn’t stop the films from being terrible.

Cuts both ways bad movies winning oscars doesn't exempt them from being continued to be considered bad, good movies winning oscars doesn't exempt them from being classified as overrated and occasionally making people forget it won an oscar in relevant categories.

Adrian Brody in the "The Pianist" anyone?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
I guess what I’m trying to say is this award is the mother of all consolation prizes.

That and Pearl Harbor sucked.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Jumanji and Star Wars: The Last Jedi are on the list, yet no one saw them. What is going on and when exatly is the yearly cutoff date?

Apes 3 should win as it showed a genuine achievement in mo-cap and creature effects work yet the last one didn´t win either. And where is Bayformers 5? Not that i saw it but hard working CG slaves work on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
I actually thought this was a pretty good movie, hope it wins.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I guess what I’m trying to say is this award is the mother of all consolation prizes.

That and Pearl Harbor sucked.

Yes, because Hugo, Life of Pi, Gravity, Interstellar, Ex Machina, and The Jungle Book were all bad movies that needed consolation. But you’re right about Pearl Harbor, and Suicide Squad winning an Oscar makes me want to strangle someone.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't have a chance at being nominated. Blade Runner 2049 is going most likely going to win it (deserves it too).
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Suicide Squad won an award for costumes.

No they won't for Make-Up, Fantastic Beasts Won for Costumes.

Just clearing that up, not trying to be rude...
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Personally I really enjoyed the movie, but regardless of what you think of it, you can't deny that it's a visually stunning film. The mixture of CG and regular physical special effects were outstanding.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well...It's hard to resist the awesome lighting patterns that color the night sky in live-action Ghost in the Shell. They're a fantastic sight!

Even then, this film has very little chance of winning an Oscar...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this movie had some incredible special effects, both practical and CGI. The Blu-ray bonus features has a lot of insight into the film’s complex effects work from Weta Workshop.

I hope it gets nominated, but Blade Runner 2049 will almost certainly win.

Beatdigga wrote:

Suicide Squad won Best Makeup & Hairstyling.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
The whitewashing controversy of this film likely was a moderate to significant factor in it becoming a domestic box office flop. I would it being a flop might be a reason it got shortlisted for this Academy Awards category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2