• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans, Creators Applaud Animation of Fate/Apocrypha's 22nd Episode

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Definitely best fight of the year, bar none.
GriffithDidNothingWrong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

Would definitely argue Todoroki VS Midoriya from Spring is better.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
GriffithDidNothingWrong wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Nah that fight doesn't even come close to Sakura vs Shin in Boruto which I considered the best fight of the year before Fate/Apoc's ep 22.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/905368035967606784/pu/vid/640x360/kL7nwpM_gO87Jrzs.mp4
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
An episode of awesome webgen fight scenes through out? Sign me up.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Hakuyo Go is a webgen [animator with web origin], he is very talented. He is from Taiwan, working in Japan. He has done animations in Flip Flappers, Mob Psycho BBB season 1 and more. The Webgen style jumped to the eye in this episode.
RavenDaRogue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Animation was amazing but for me personally it just showed how inconsistent A1-pictures is. The difference between this and other episodes was just unreal and it really made me focus on those differences than on the episode itself. I dunno, I think i would prefered the same animation style through all of episodes like it is with Ufotable and Madhouse , than having sudden spikes in quality/animation.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was blown away. I think A1 has done a considerable job at keeping the animation moderately good, even great in many occasions. But episode 22 was exceptional and really made Apocrypha feel like it finally came into its own.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Now does it beat the trio vs Stain or Deku vs Todoroki? Seems like a tall task. I'll know whenever Netflix puts it up.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This episode fully convinced me that Apocrypha is most definitely not the worst Fate series ever but in truth, one of the better ones. It's probably the best battle that the franchise ever had.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
That was one of the best animated episodes of a TV anime that I have ever seen. If Fate/Apocrypha can manage to land the ending it could be the best Fate show to watch for someone that is new to the franchise.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The episode was truly amazing. One of the best of the year for sure. It's a little awkward seeing so many people praise, or complain, about A-1 because of this, considering the episode is mostly a freelance creation, and I gotta admit I also get a little annoyed when people prioritize consistency so much they can't appreciate when a series gives creators freedom to actually be creative. I'd rather have a moderately good-looking show with a few standout highlights than a show that is just decent looking the whole time. But it is what it is. Regardless of fan reaction, it's a brilliant episode. Really looking forward to watching what a lot of these guys work on next, especially Hakuyu Go.

article wrote:
Go was previously in charge of several episodes of the Black Butler: Book of Circus anime

Small correction. Hakuyu Go was an in-betweener on 3 episodes of Black Butler. He wasn't in charge of any aspect of the show.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
GriffithDidNothingWrong wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Nah that fight doesn't even come close to Sakura vs Shin in Boruto which I considered the best fight of the year before Fate/Apoc's ep 22.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/905368035967606784/pu/vid/640x360/kL7nwpM_gO87Jrzs.mp4

Damn. That was nice
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
It really was an incredibly spectacular episode. Awesome fight. Karna was glorious.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
um what?

I feel like I'm at an art museum and they just brought out the worlds most expensive dot and everyone is gawking at how beautiful it is and how they would love to own it and that it's well worth the price.
Meanwhile, Im just standing there squinting... " it's just a dot"
(I'm not trying to offend anyone I just completely do not understand what is so good about this episode's art)

The whole time I'm watching it im thjinking "uh oh looks like the studio ran out of money, damn well at least they fucked up this fight so hopefully the 'final' battle wont suffer from this crap."

And then I come here and find out it this was amazing?

Like the actual content of the episode was amazing but the art and animation was soooo different than what I'm used to till now that it just looked so ugly. Another thought that went through my mind is that this is like the scene with naruto vs pain(nagato ver) where the battle felt like it sorta fuzed into minecraft territory with sudden blockiness.
I've seen huge shifts in art tone before like onepunchman and when used momentarily it looks amazing but using it for an entire fight is just weird.

So am i the only one who thinks this or maybe someone can explain why this episode was so 'well animated' compared to the stuff we had before.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
^ that's generally how these things goes. They're actually praising specific frames and not the entire fight scene, usually. When you have odd contrasts of subpar and amazing, it just looks awkward to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4