• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 20th Dragon Ball Anime Film Revealed for December 2018

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film's theme will be "Saiyans: The strongest fighting race in the universe," and will depict the "origin" of the strength of the Saiyan race. Toriyama is credited with the original work, script, and character design.

I hope it isn't like Dragon Ball Minus, which turned the Saiyans, especially Bardock, into sentimentalists. Goku is supposed to be an exception, because of his brain damage. I don't want to see a lot of soft, wimpy touchy-feely Saiyans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Wrath of the Dragon was the first DBZ movie I had seen subbed. Smile
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
The film's theme will be "Saiyans: The strongest fighting race in the universe," and will depict the "origin" of the strength of the Saiyan race. Toriyama is credited with the original work, script, and character design.

I hope it isn't like Dragon Ball Minus, which turned the Saiyans, especially Bardock, into sentimentalists. Goku is supposed to be an exception, because of his brain damage. I don't want to see a lot of soft, wimpy touchy-feely Saiyans.

Perhaps you have some preconceived notions about them. Hardly any information on them was given to the fans, just because they were known for their ruthlessness does not mean they are incapable of empathy amongst themselves. Take a look at the Norsemen, they were notorious for their ruthlessness as well but not all of them were bloodthirsty.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Was it the fansub where everybody dropped F-bombs every other line of dialogue?

On a related note, I'm just going to wait for "Dragon Ball Super" to make a 20-episode arc for this movie rather than use its own ideas.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Was it the fansub where everybody dropped F-bombs every other line of dialogue?

On a related note, I'm just going to wait for "Dragon Ball Super" to make a 20-episode arc for this movie rather than use its own ideas.

No, it was the real Japanese sub. I remember Vegeta saying this one kickass line, "I'm just too nice" before falling to the ground. Anime smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

Perhaps you have some preconceived notions about them. Hardly any information on them was given to the fans, just because they were known for their ruthlessness does not mean they are incapable of empathy amongst themselves.

Goku's entire characterization as a Saiyan is that he's only somewhat noble because he fell into a ravine and hit his head, becoming more placid. Vegeta murdered Nappa without a second thought, didn't care that Raditz had died (neither did Nappa, really), and only sought to avenge the Saiyans' pride, not their lives. Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz would have been murderous bastards regardless of whether Freeza took them under his wing, that's the whole culture of the Saiyans.

I can understand that SOME Saiyans may have been less nasty (making the legend of the Super Saiyan God somewhat plausible), but for Goku's parents to be sweet and care so much about him just makes Goku less special, and just more of a Superman expy, sent to Earth for his own good, rather than by chance of needing to be there to kill everyone.

It lessens Goku's story. It's saying, "Yeah, Goku's a good guy because his parents were good guys." Vomit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

So basically its gonna give us the origins of the sayain race, cool. Good to know it'll be written by toriyama as well.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

Perhaps you have some preconceived notions about them. Hardly any information on them was given to the fans, just because they were known for their ruthlessness does not mean they are incapable of empathy amongst themselves.

Goku's entire characterization as a Saiyan is that he's only somewhat noble because he fell into a ravine and hit his head, becoming more placid. Vegeta murdered Nappa without a second thought, didn't care that Raditz had died (neither did Nappa, really), and only sought to avenge the Saiyans' pride, not their lives. Vegeta, Nappa, and Raditz would have been murderous bastards regardless of whether Freeza took them under his wing, that's the whole culture of the Saiyans.

I can understand that SOME Saiyans may have been less nasty (making the legend of the Super Saiyan God somewhat plausible), but for Goku's parents to be sweet and care so much about him just makes Goku less special, and just more of a Superman expy, sent to Earth for his own good, rather than by chance of needing to be there to kill everyone.

It lessens Goku's story. It's saying, "Yeah, Goku's a good guy because his parents were good guys." Vomit.

Nature vs Nuture is why he's different, sure he hit his head and became less of a handful but even without brain damage, Saiyans are capable of being good people...

Look at Vegeta nowadays, he's a big softy now.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Prequels are not normally my thing but considering where Dragon Ball Super has gotten in terms of power level that was really the only thing they could do. Also exploring the history of the Saiyans has potential.

penguintruth wrote:
Dragon Ball is a family franchise and they aren't going to have the movie be that negative about the Saiyans. My guess is that the movie will be about some nice barbarians fighting the equivalent of vicious but honorable Vikings. Also I wouldn't be surprised if some of the good Saiyans escape since that could set up the potential for a spin off.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe we can finally get a detailed backstory on spoiler[Yamoshi]. Its been making waves among DB fans when Toriyama first revealed him and gave him a backstory a few weeks ago

Last edited by GhostD on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
I'm reminded that Conan and Pocket Monsters passed DB in terms of movies recently. Anyway, I don't care for the franchise much aside from new content so I will watch this.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Maybe we can finally get a detailed backstory on Yamoshi. Its been making waves among DB fans when Toriyama first revealed him and gave him a backstory a few weeks ago

That's obviously a movie about Yamoshi we will get Cool
Enturax

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
omg... he is going to tell the story of that legendary asian SSJG bullshit he explained in the recent interview, isn't he?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:

Looking at Z, I guess, but Vegeta with a pot-belly is magical.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, good or bad as this may turn out it will certainly be a change of pace from a normal Dragon Ball movie so I'm on-board for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2