• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Brian Drummond Returns as Cloned Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super's English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not interested in dubs myself, I have to say, that's an interesting casting gag.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I did think he sounded familiar, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CtIC4ugSw

3 episodes of bad filler and they actually managed to make it watchable in English. Bravo!

Makes me wonder if they can bring in Scott McNeil again spoiler[to voice one of the Universe 6 Namekians].
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I saw a lot of different comments about the clip featuring Cloned Vegeta and people guessing/hoping it was Brian. Pretty neat that they got him to do the role!

Now to wait two weeks to watch the dub for me, but that's okay. I can wait. Razz
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This wins the award for the most brilliant meta-casting choice a dub has ever done. Although it may reignite the very old Ocean vs Funimation cast arguments of the early 00s again....

NJ_ wrote:
3 episodes of bad filler and they actually managed to make it watchable in English. Bravo

I'd gladly watch this filler arc again over the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F redux arcs.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant casting decision
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Heh, Briand Drummond: He was Vegeta, then he was Ryuk. Then, something weird happened, and then he was Mr. Cake, and then Shivers the Squirrel. Now he's back as Vegeta, and we can all rest easy.

Greed1914 wrote:
I did think he sounded familiar, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.

Same here. I thought he sounded familiar in the episode preview, but I just thought it was Chris Sabat doing another weird voice. I mean, it's pretty normal in an animated production where clones would be voiced by the same actor.

NJ_ wrote:

3 episodes of bad filler and they actually managed to make it watchable in English. Bravo!

Makes me wonder if they can bring in Scott McNeil again spoiler[to voice one of the Universe 6 Namekians].

They brought in Scott McNeil to voice Shiki in One Piece: Strong World. If they could do it once, they can do it again.

(Though personally, I found it interesting they had Sean Schemmel voice Indigo. I mean, he does voice Goku and all that, but it created an interesting bit of trivia in that Schemmel would be the first actor to perform in both the 4Kids and the FUNimation version of One Piece.)
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

They brought in Scott McNeil to voice Shiki in One Piece: Strong World. If they could do it once, they can do it again.

McNeil voiced Hohenheim from the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist as well.

Fun fact: He voiced a Piccolo parody from Gintama this year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Now if they could only get Ian Corlett or Peter Kelamis to play spoiler[Goku Black], we'll be all set.

Drummond's Vegeta was pretty on-the-nose "villain voice", which I guess works for a blatantly bad Vegeta clone, but Sabat's improvement in recent years has pushed him over the top for me in terms of English voices for the character. He's certainly a long way from the Drummond clone he sounded like when he started.

It's an interesting way to spice up this dreary little filler arc. I also hope that Scott McNeil returns as spoiler[one of the Namekians from Universe 6].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
For a long time, there has a been a feud over DB fans as to whether Brian or Chris was/is the better Vegeta. What better way to settle that feud than this way? However, Cloned Vegeta only appears for the next 2 episodes (for now).
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
it's no wonder it sounded like early dubbed episodes Vegeta, I can't believe Funimation flew Brian Drummond in from Canada
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
it's no wonder it sounded like early dubbed episodes Vegeta, I can't believe Funimation flew Brian Drummond in from Canada

Brian recorded from Vancouver, presumably from his home studio.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
They actually got Mr. Over 9000 himself to come back to the role albeit for a few episodes. Interesting. Smile
Enturax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
That's awesome but I still hate this show. BTW, those few filler episodes actually made the most sense out of all later episodes of Super due to proper power scaling Toriyama himself wouldn't make... (talking about base Vegeta>>>SSJ3 Gotenks, because Base Goku>=FF Freeza>>>>3rd F. Freeza>>2nd F. Freeza>1st F. Freeza>>>>Piccolo/SSJ Gohan)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1