• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Trickster Part One

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Do they still edit Pokemon, or is there another reason there is no JP audio on Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Do the digital codes work with iTunes or UV? Or do they only work with Funimation’s apps?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for featuring my collection!! ^^ Also for mentioning the variety in genres and decades, in general I do love both old and new anime equally Smile I hope this may have encouraged other people to send their collections, I like Shelf Obsessed too much lol.

Unfortunately it seems not all of the photo's were sent correctly, probably a mistake on my part, but I'll leave a link right here where people can view the remaining missing photos.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/P68qb
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Do the digital codes work with iTunes or UV? Or do they only work with Funimation’s apps?

Only Funimation's App, unfortunately, which is the main drawback of the feature. I tested it out, and it's okay, but it would be much more convenient if it worked for Vudu and the like.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Thank you for featuring my collection!!

I love going through your photos! I've always been curious about how European fans get by when it comes to anime, especially in non-English-speaking countries. The spines on the DVD/Blus are enlightening, a combination of mostly UK releases, with a few US ones too. I'm accustomed to the UK/Irish ratings on many of the discs, since I've imported my fair share via Amazon UK. It makes me wonder if you have has multiple players, or a single region-free Blu/DVD unit as I do.

And ooohh, the UK slapped an 18 rating on Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt! Who would've thought? Cool Also, you have a UK release of Giovanni's Island--was there ever one in the US?

Lastly, I have that very same Hatsune Miku fig at home. Smile
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, Valentine's Day is this week! Go watch some mushy romance anime, or maybe take out your romantic frustrations with something from the horror genre.

Depending on local custom, it is also pancake day this week! Could any nobler a love exist than that between humankind and articles of pan-fried batter?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@thekingsdinner,

Thanks for breaking the silence and sharing this week! I am so happy to see someone else with a Hotaru figure. T.T

I also gotta be honest, I am surprised Trickster got into the rental category. I did not make it to a second episode. I actually found the character animation to be kind of ugly. At least James got more enjoyment out of it that me. I haven't read any Edogawa either, but that might make a difference, I agree.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, Valentine's Day is this week! Go watch some mushy romance anime, or maybe take out your romantic frustrations with something from the horror genre.

Mushy? Can't get any mushier than My Love Story!! (and I mean that in a good way). As for horror frustrating romance, might I suggest Future Diary?
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Thank you for featuring my collection!!

I love going through your photos! I've always been curious about how European fans get by when it comes to anime, especially in non-English-speaking countries. The spines on the DVD/Blus are enlightening, a combination of mostly UK releases, with a few US ones too. I'm accustomed to the UK/Irish ratings on many of the discs, since I've imported my fair share via Amazon UK. It makes me wonder if you have has multiple players, or a single region-free Blu/DVD unit as I do.

And ooohh, the UK slapped an 18 rating on Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt! Who would've thought? Cool Also, you have a UK release of Giovanni's Island--was there ever one in the US?

Lastly, I have that very same Hatsune Miku fig at home. Smile
I'm glad you enjoy the photos ^^ I posted a few more here in the comment section as it seems some failed to arrive through mail. Also, I use a single regionfree player Blu-ray player, which was quite expensive but ultimately worth it Smile Cool to know you have the same Miku figure ^^

Not sure about Giovanni's Island, the UK release was pretty hyped by the publishers though. What I do know is that I believe the original Berserk anime still has no Blu-ray version in the US, but the UK does.

Usagi-kun wrote:
Thanks for breaking the silence and sharing this week! I am so happy to see someone else with a Hotaru figure. T.T
No problem Smile I love that Hotaru figure, it's so well done lol.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
^^ That is in fact true, as I imported Berserk ‘97 in bluray from the UK. I have a region free player myself. Hopefully someone can get the license for NA sometime so that people who don’t want to go through that hassle can get a domestic release, and streaming it somewhere would be nice. I also own A Silent Voice on bluray from the UK, and now that I’ve seen it several times, I enjoy the English over the Japanese, although both are phenomenal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This leaves us with Akechi, the most problematic of the bunch because while his rambunctious energy can sometimes feel like a welcome reprieve from everyone else's bland dourness, it eventually begins to wear thin. His character arc is the most complete in this first half of the series, but it also goes through some twists and turns that make him difficult to root for. I wouldn't say that I actively disliked him, but Akechi still hasn't become the complex and engaging character that Trickster so desperately needs him to be.

I think you meant Hanasaki, although to be honest, I'm not quite sure. The series was confusing too, so it's not surprising you (or I) would get the names mixed up.

It doesn't get any better in the second half, though it does push the envelope on ludicrous story elements. But at that point the animation completely collapses in on itself, like everyone involved just wanted to get it over with and go home. I agree that Gackt is pretty entertaining in this though. And Kobayashi was the only character I liked at all. His grumpy nihilism seemed like the correct response to all the nonsense going on around him.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
Terrible show. Absolutely terrible. I stuck around because the whole immortal shield thing seemed interesting but it turned out to be stupid. Wanna know what he has that power? He just got it out of nowhere. What a waste of time.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
Yay! Touken Ranbu Hanamaru! I have been waiting for it to be released. I think it is a really good show that many people gave up on. It has a lot of sweet moments and even made me tear up. I hope it gets a review. Also the second season is really great.

About Trickster I actually enjoyed it. Yes it is confusing and has some bad animation but I liked some of the backgrounds/scenery work. I think it is show I would watch often.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
I love that Panty and Stocking wall scroll. Something to put on my wishlist for when I'm an adult/in my own living environment - my mom would have a fit now. Laughing
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
As another Dutch anime fan I'm curious about those Dutch releases you mentioned. I suppose only things like Pokemon and Naruto are ever released here? I looked at the imgur link you posted, but for some reason that site always refuses to load the second half of galleries.

I should try taking some photos of my collection again. I have a proper camera now, but I put it off when ANN had that .com/.cc problem last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2