• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paramount's Sonic the Hedgehog Film Dated for November 15, 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I get that it is cheaper to make it mostly live action but that seems like a bad decision if they are planning to make a serious action movie. Than again they could make it a cheesy comedy romance in which Sonic falls in love with a human woman. That worked for Howard the Duck.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Nothing worked for Howard the Duck, except those cameos in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I imagine this movie is going to be something like the live action Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a movie to match the quality of most Sonic games.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Why the Boom character designs?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Nothing worked for Howard the Duck, except those cameos in Guardians of the Galaxy.

He was joking...
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The website also notes that the film will use "a mix of live action and CGI to bring the character to life."

The Mario Bros film treatment would probably befit this franchise, given that it has been lampooned to the point of acquiring a certain self-awareness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
immblueversion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why the Boom character designs?

Probably just the first header image that caught the eye of whoever wrote the article.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this flops (which I suspect will), that won't be such a wonderful life for Paramount Pictures for that moment.
wohdin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Finally, a movie to match the quality of most Sonic games.

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But no seriously, this is going to be so [expletive] awful. Why? Who thought this was a good idea?
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I get that it is cheaper to make it mostly live action but that seems like a bad decision if they are planning to make a serious action movie. Than again they could make it a cheesy comedy romance in which Sonic falls in love with a human woman. That worked for Howard the Duck.
or even better if it was a Michael bay film than it wouldn't be Sonic falling in love (and let's not repeat Sonic 06) but it would focus on his human friend Shia Labeouf trying to score with Megan Fox with Sonic and his gang only being relevant in the action scenes (oh and explosions)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
or even better if it was a Michael bay film than it wouldn't be Sonic falling in love (and let's not repeat Sonic 06) but it would focus on his human friend Shia Labeouf trying to score with Megan Fox with Sonic and his gang only being relevant in the action scenes (oh and explosions)
I didn't even think of them going the Transformers route but I could see that happening. They could have the movie be about a hip teenage boy that isn't understood by his square parents and Sonic is a secondary character that gives him advice. Also they occasionally fight against Eggman who is a businessman trying to build a strip mall on a nature preserve.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Well, if this flops (which I suspect will), that won't be such a wonderful life for Paramount Pictures for that moment.

After Monster Trucks, Paramount's would-be animation division is in even worse shape at the moment than Sony's. (Which is why the stop-motion/CGI "The Little Prince" was dumped straight to Netflix afterwards.)

I wondered why Sony wasn't doing this one for the obvious Sega/Playstation tie-in,
Quote:
In February 2016, Sega Sammy Holdings president and CEO Hajime Satomi revealed that Sony Pictures Entertainment was planning the film. The Hollywood Reporter reported in October that Paramount Pictures had acquired the rights to develop the film.

but I suspect the problems of BOTH studios left them scrambling for new "franchise icons", while Sony hitched their star to Peter Rabbit and one more "Hotel Transylvania".
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

But no seriously, this is going to be so [expletive] awful. Why? Who thought this was a good idea?

People who clearly aren't jaded about movies adapted from video games.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

After Monster Trucks, Paramount's would-be animation division is in even worse shape at the moment than Sony's. (Which is why the stop-motion/CGI "The Little Prince" was dumped straight to Netflix afterwards.)

I wondered why Sony wasn't doing this one for the obvious Sega/Playstation tie-in,
Quote:
In February 2016, Sega Sammy Holdings president and CEO Hajime Satomi revealed that Sony Pictures Entertainment was planning the film. The Hollywood Reporter reported in October that Paramount Pictures had acquired the rights to develop the film.

but I suspect the problems of BOTH studios left them scrambling for new "franchise icons", while Sony hitched their star to Peter Rabbit and one more "Hotel Transylvania".

Little Prince was picked up by Netflix before Monster Trucks was released. It hit Netflix in August 2016, while Monster Trucks opened at the box office in January 2017. Also, Paramount didn’t produce Little Prince. They acquired distribution rights after the film was completed.

Monster Trucks underperforming has nothing to do with Paramount selling the film with Netflix. The fact that the Little Prince is somewhat obscure in the US, and the fact that Paramount was in the midst of a power struggle with between the Viacom CEO and the Redstone Family, that owns their parent company, had much more to do with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2