• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chrono Trigger Launches for Steam

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Be aware. Early purchasers are saying that the Steam version is similar to the inferior mobile port and not the superior DS or SNES versions.
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Sriouesly the Secret of Mana Remake is just ridiculous. Square lost it's touch when the FF-creator left after 10, but it's getting worse. First FF XV with combat as deep as the general visual novel and then the same for a remake of one of the most hyped games of all time.
I'm glad they decided to leave Chrono Trigger as it was, even though the port seems to be not quite well done.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Be aware. Early purchasers are saying that the Steam version is similar to the inferior mobile port and not the superior DS or SNES versions.

Well thanks for that, not interested.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I already bought the DS version, so no need for me to double-dip.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
This is a blatant cash grab by SE.
How I wish Squaresoft never get bankrupted!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was close to getting this but from what people are saying online the PC port of Chrono Trigger isn't much better than the mobile port. Considering Chrono Trigger was the best RPG on the SNES it is a pity that Square Enix put so little effort into making the PC port.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
I have a couple of questions for Square-Enix regarding this so-called "updated release":

Are you a few peas short of a full casserole?

Did you fall out of a stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down?

This is fricking CHRONO TRIGGER for chrissakes! One of the crown jewels in your collection! This is a game that has a strong fanbase for more than 20 YEARS! You had every opportunity to give it a good, meaningful release for Steam that could've even had surpassed the SNES, PS1 and DS versions!

What did you give us?

A fricking port of the inferior mobile version with a bad sprite filter and ho-hum Steam achievements.

As a proud user of the Steam platform and a proud fan of Chrono Trigger, there is no excuse for this lazy dump onto a PC platform. All you've done was ride on the coattails of the game's past success and hope that the fans would bite for no other reason than...it's Chrono Trigger.

Nice going, Square-Enix. You've really dropped the ball.

Dicks!
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 am Reply with quote
I don't recall anything particularly subpar about the mobile version of Chrono Trigger other than Square Enix's support, though I'm not sure that I ever finished it. The only other version of Chrono Trigger that I've ever played was the original SNES version. Regardless, having it on the PC is good, particularly since that increases the chances of it being available in the long run without needing something like an SNES emulator (though to really get that guarantee, we'd need a GoG version rather than a Steam version). Square Enix' history with supporting Android games has not been good (the games frequently break with updates to Android and don't get fixed for a long time, and in some cases, the games never get fixed and just get pulled from the Play Store). So, having it on the PC should be a definite improvement. As it is, I can't trust that I'll be able to play Chrono Trigger on my phone next year given how Square Enix treats Android. Compatability on the PC over time isn't perfect, but it's way better than Android.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Availability means nothing if the game looks and plays like ass compared to it being run off an emulator which anyone can acquire and the ROM file within minutes.

And that's saying a lot!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1