• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Technical Failures

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyscout

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, guess what – they found a way around that, and once the exploit began to spread, Sega acted quickly to take the demo down from PSN.

That's the amusing thing. There wasn't an exploit, Sega NA just accidentally put up the full game from what I understand. Sega saying that there was an exploit was PR speak for "we messed up."
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I think Square Enix doesn't know what to do with Chrono Trigger anymore (if they ever had a plan). Just like Capcom has been doing with the Classic Mega Man titles, SE just keeps repackaging Trigger over and over, adding little extras that are of little to no consequence. Remaking it isn't the answer either; a new Chrono title is the path they should consider. I imagine people would flip if SE announced that the Chrono Break plan was being revived.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yakuza 6 deserves better than this screw up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Honestly, I think Square Enix doesn't know what to do with Chrono Trigger anymore (if they ever had a plan). Just like Capcom has been doing with the Classic Mega Man titles,

Which to be fair they're only doing because they want to appease the whiny fanboys they were indignant enough to argue that canceling two spin-off titles and allowing the use of bad box art megman was proof they didn't care about Megaman while at the same time pointing out how underwhelming 10 and X8 were.

belvadeer wrote:

SE just keeps repackaging Trigger over and over, adding little extras that are of little to no consequence. Remaking it isn't the answer either; a new Chrono title is the path they should consider.

That's not really the answer either especially in light of how some feel they shit the bed with Chrono Cross that and if you want to be technical the series doesn't really need a follow up proper especially one that would likely divide the fanbase even further.

Quote:
Unrelated to all of that, though, I'm annoyed at Blair Dame's face. It's far too cute-looking compared to her older, more hardassed appearance and doesn't really fit her physical build well. If we can get Chun-Li a facelift in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, certainly we can convince Arika to fix Blair, right? Right?

Looking at both I really don't see it as major issue.
kameoosama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
The square enix port thing isn't that hard to figure out if you've been following their mobile ports. The mobile ports of FFV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger have all been out for a hot minute and hail back from when Square was taking a slightly different approach. There's actually an old version of Secret of Mana up on mobile too that they apparently didn't think was workable. So the 3D version we then got is a follow-up to their 3D rework of Adventures of Mana (or Final Fantasy Adventure if you remember the old game boy release) which I guess did marginally well? I believe the plan was to stop offering that old mobile version of SoM and replace it with this version there too. The port of FFIX was mostly different because it was new, so it targeted PC, PS4, and mobile all at once (with the same interface more or less all 3 places!) It makes me kinda wish they did that when they eventually put FF8 on mobile, but they'll probably base it on the PC version that already exists like they did FF7. The FFXII remake has obviously never appeared on mobile, but since it's new and there wasn't an existing FF12 on PC it got more love like the port of Star Ocean 4 did. Likewise they seem to be treating the upcoming FFXV port like it's not just an afterthought. Really the odd duck out is World of Final Fantasy, which got the same barebones treatment the FF13 ports got. Poor Final Fantemon.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out something: Part of making sure Hasbro doesn't get on their tails again (no pun intended), Them's Fightin' Herds is made up of mostly ungulates, but only one of them is a horse.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Honestly, I think Square Enix doesn't know what to do with Chrono Trigger anymore (if they ever had a plan). Just like Capcom has been doing with the Classic Mega Man titles,

Which to be fair they're only doing because they want to appease the whiny fanboys they were indignant enough to argue that canceling two spin-off titles and allowing the use of bad box art megman was proof they didn't care about Megaman while at the same time pointing out how underwhelming 10 and X8 were.

Well, in a way, the MASSIVE PR disaster that befell Might No. 9 gave Capcom an opportunity to bring back Mega Man, as never before had "Death of the Author" been more widely believed among people who play video games. (That's the idea that the creator of a work of entertainment, and his or her beliefs, should have no bearing on how it's received.) It was like the New Coke incident all over again. The people at Capcom would've had to realize they'd be making a lot of money appealing to the Mega Man fans who felt betrayed by Keiji Inafune.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

It's really sad they kept caving though, as constantly releasing the Classic series over and over again on various platforms as bundles kept pushing Mega Man further into his grave.

Quote:
That's not really the answer either especially in light of how some feel they shit the bed with Chrono Cross that and if you want to be technical the series doesn't really need a follow up proper especially one that would likely divide the fanbase even further.

People really need to grow up and stop witch hunting Chrono Cross at this point. It wasn't a horrible game, in my opinion, and is still worth playing today like many PS1 classics. If they can't get over themselves, then that's their problem. As for the other part, I'm not suggesting Chrono Break be a followup in the sense of the plot as Trigger's story completed itself full circle, but rather something created in the same vein with the authentic feel of Chrono Trigger to it. I suppose, however, that might be difficult considering the game was originally developed by Squaresoft and not Square Enix, who don't have the entire crew from the golden era of game development on board with them.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Anyone that craps on chrono cross is in the minority just like anyone that does the same with trigger. The game has an aggregate score in the mid 90s, sold well, etc. Its kind of the same with FF8, its about as good as the previous game both in terms of sales and critical acclaim, but a small minority harp on it as being some disaster.

I agree they should do a sequel, something along the lines of FF, where it keeps elements of the previous one in the series, but is otherwise a standalone. They kind of have a theme going, Trigger is more time, Cross was more alternate reality/dimensions to me, and who knows what a third one would do.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the whole release of Chrono Trigger on Steam was a total FUBAR. The fans expected a quality release for the PC and all they got was a lazy dump that Square-Enix tried to excuse for it being Chrono Trigger and nothing else. As a Steam user myself, this curdles my yogurt.

Also, regarding Secret of Mana's 3D remake being "unncessary", I'm partially calling BS on that. There is nothing wrong with the game having a 3D remake as long as it fixes the issues that plagued the original 2D game and restores the elements in that game that were cut out for the Nintendo CD system that never was. Those issues weren't resolved so only in those regards could I accept Secret of Mana's 3D remake being unnecessary.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with Chrono Trigger getting a 3D remake in the future as well as long as it maintains the same story and battle system without introducing any new bugs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:50 am Reply with quote
While it sucks that they're mistreating Chrono Trigger, as long as I can still play my DS port of it, I'll be fine. Best video game ever.

Chrono Cross was decent, from the little I played of it. Not great, but decent.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

It was three cancellations (Universe, Legends 3, Online) back-to-back (with a fourth unbeknownst to audiences) coupled with no new titles to soften the blow. Excluding Asia-only smartphone trash like Xover and Go Go, Mega Man hasn't received a new game since 2010. How dare people assume Capcom didn't care about the series. Rolling Eyes

Those port collections would've come out whether or not people whined. Look at Capcom's release lineup for any recent year. It's basically a wasteland of ports and re-releases outside of Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
While it sucks that they're mistreating Chrono Trigger, as long as I can still play my DS port of it, I'll be fine. Best video game ever.

Chrono Cross was decent, from the little I played of it. Not great, but decent.

Cross is weird in that it skews more towards more of a philosophical meditation than anything due to its bringing up multiverse theory and themes of fate and choices. It's like if someone took a shonen manga and then made a sequel that was seinen.

Anyway:

- Yakuza 6: Kinda hilarious how SEGA didn't check the Yakuza 6 demo before release. Now they can't even have a demo to tide people over until the game releases.

-Chrono Trigger: Seriously SE, what the hell? This is one of your most acclaimed titles and you halfass a port that badly? It really is like Square has no idea how to actually curate its legacy.

Soulcalibur VI: Yup, of course Ivy is back, leotard and all. I'm surprised Zasalamel is back considering VI Is a retelling of I and he didn't show up until III. Seems they're weaving in lore more consistently
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Cross is weird in that it skews more towards more of a philosophical meditation than anything due to its bringing up multiverse theory and themes of fate and choices. It's like if someone took a shonen manga and then made a sequel that was seinen.

It's really one of the reasons I loved it so much back when it hit U.S. shores in the summer of 2000. It was complex in its framework, at least to my teenage mind, and it made me really wonder about what choices I make vs. the ones I don't make. Honestly, it takes more than one playthrough of the game to fully understand the themes they implemented, kind of like how I had to watch RahXephon twice to make sense out of the whole thing.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean, how many opportunities do you have to play a greenhouse employee blowing bug spray up Donkey Kong's taint?

This is quote of the year so far.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
People really need to grow up and stop witch hunting Chrono Cross at this point. It wasn't a horrible game, in my opinion,

While I agree the battle system was a mess that definitely should've been left on the cutting room floor that along with the needlessly bloated party.

Primus wrote:
It was three cancellations (Universe, Legends 3, Online) back-to-back (with a fourth unbeknownst to audiences) coupled with no new titles to soften the blow. Excluding Asia-only smartphone trash like Xover and Go Go, Mega Man hasn't received a new game since 2010. How dare people assume Capcom didn't care about the series.

Between the three of those the only game that had any positive hype surrounding it was
Legends 3 and even that game was fighting an uphill battle to get consideration for production for one reason or the next. The others were an MMORPG that probably would've had a good a chance as coming out in the west as DragonBall Online, Universe was basically Super Mario Maker before Super Mario Maker, The fourth game was apparently a FPS that would've probably had been as widely excepted as Metroid Prime Federation Hunters and reading some of the feedback it apparently was.

So all in all not much of value was lost now if they had canceled a sequel to X8, 10, or a sequel to Maverick Hunter X then we'd be able to question their direction of the IP.

Primus wrote:
Those port collections would've come out whether or not people whined.

Maybe, maybe not, though with MML collection coming out a few years prior to the announcement of 11 the timing is still pretty damning.

Primus wrote:
Look at Capcom's release lineup for any recent year. It's basically a wasteland of ports and re-releases outside of Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney.

Actually Gyakuten Kenji 2 and Ace Attorney 4 just got rereleases/ports so even that series is not above the trend.

AiddonValentine wrote:
- Yakuza 6: Kinda hilarious how SEGA didn't check the Yakuza 6 demo before release. Now they can't even have a demo to tide people over until the game releases.

They could in theory still rerelease the demo for North America and even then that's not going to be a complete dealbreaker for people interested in the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2