• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatami Galaxy Novelist's Penguin Highway Coming-of-Age Fantasy Gets Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
Cool. All books by this author should better get well-deserved adaptations, if that's the only way I can enjoy his/her works due to lack of licensed ones.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news! Hiroyasu Ishida is one of the most promising young directors in the entire industry and he has an incredibly track record in indie animation and commercials (plus a short film). In his works, you can really feel the joy in motion and his innocent approach and rich animation reminds me Studio Ghibli films.

Totally looking forward to this one!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
The novel won the Nihon SF Taisho/Japan SF Award a few years back. It's a charming, rather oddball story that in parts reminded me of what it was like to be an inquisitive kid. The trailer looks to be a great adaptation, so I'm really looking forward to this.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
This is going to be amazing. No doubt. Studio Colorido's vibrant warm colors make anything they are responsible for instantly a must watch.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I can definitely get hyped for this. All parties involved are very capable.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Who is that older woman? She is fine. Even got the kid checking out her oppai.

Quote:
The novel's story center on fourth grader Aoyama and a mysterious older woman, who is a dental assistant and also Aoyama's first crush.

Watching the movie just for this. Cool
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact, the stuff he is writing in the journal is all about the "mysterious" woman's boobs. How big they are, and how they are much different than the usual townsfolk, and the like. Good stuff. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, penguins! Oh, it also looks really well made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Fantastic news! Hiroyasu Ishida is one of the most promising young directors in the entire industry and he has an incredibly track record in indie animation and commercials (plus a short film). In his works, you can really feel the joy in motion and his innocent approach and rich animation reminds me Studio Ghibli films.

He's young too, born in 1988 (according to the ANN Encyclopedia.) It is great to see he is getting his first full-length film to direct. I loved Tatami and can't wait to see where he takes the same author's novel into animated heights.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:

Reading this makes me look forward to seeing the film even more given it reminds you of Studio Ghibli, which is one of my favorite studios.

The story premise is interesting enough and I don't recall hearing of a "coming-of-age" fantasy before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
The story premise is interesting enough and I don't recall hearing of a "coming-of-age" fantasy before.

A lot of what Ghibli makes are coming-of-age fantasies(Spirited Away, Howl's Princess, Whisper of the Heart, etc). It's actually a pretty common genre. Wolf Children and Boy and the Beast qualify, From The New World, Lull in the Sea, Eureka Seven, FLCL, Tsuritama, Simoun, Evangelion, etc.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

A lot of what Ghibli makes are coming-of-age fantasies(Spirited Away, Howl's Princess, Whisper of the Heart, etc). It's actually a pretty common genre. Wolf Children and Boy and the Beast qualify, From The New World, Lull in the Sea, Eureka Seven, FLCL, Tsuritama, Simoun, Evangelion, etc.

That is a good point when I think about it. I guess for my case I never heard of the subgenre as often, if not at all, to really take notice. I am going to look more into it. In the meantime I am happy to see that some of the anime you mention are ones I have already taken a liking to, so that is a good sign. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It's one of my favorite sub-genres! There is a lot you can do there creatively that is more difficult in a realistic setting. I like coming-of-age stories in general, but when you add fantasy, it opens up a lot of additional opportunities, and potential for cool worlds and all kinds of stuff. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1