• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legends of VHS Fansubs: Who is Miami Mike?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
So this long ass article is just an ad for a podcast?

Bad form, ANN. Bad form.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I read the whole thing just to be bait-and-switched at the end. No way am I listening to a 1 hour podcast just to get an answer to a question I never asked. As Vaisaga said, Bad form. At least have what you said in the title in the actual article, ANN.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I thought this would be a fun explainer about the VHS Fansub days with a link to a fascinating interview at the end. I read articles like this a lot - background information, with a link to an interesting interview someone did. We've never done it like this before, but I love Dawn's content and thought it'd be nice to highlight it in this way.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
But the hook is still a question that the article doesn't answer. It would still work if you had a brief summary of the interview (not a transcript) with details of the incident, then a link to the full interview for those interested in a more in-depth explanation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
But the hook is still a question that the article doesn't answer. It would still work if you had a brief summary of the interview (not a transcript) with details of the incident, then a link to the full interview for those interested in a more in-depth explanation.

I didn't want to ask Dawn to spoil the podcast - the point is to highlight content I think people would like, not give them an excuse to not click on it.

But you're right that it's reasonable to assume the hook would be answered in the article text, so I've changed the title and the frontpage blurb to reflect that.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I can't believe I read the whole thing just to be bait-and-switched at the end. No way am I listening to a 1 hour podcast just to get an answer to a question I never asked. As Vaisaga said, Bad form. At least have what you said in the title in the actual article, ANN.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
The thing that annoys me is that I dislike podcasts and never listen to them, though I occasionally enjoy reading transcripts of them when provided. I would have been even more disappointed if the article were just a link to the podcast, as there's nothing I hate more than seeing an interesting headline only to find out that it links to a podcast instead of sweet, sweet text.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
While this feature article/advertisement may seem pointless, The Anime Nostalgia Podcast is very enjoyable and worth the listen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
Unlike some of the complainers here, I'm listening to the podcast and having a good time hearing some old anime fandom stories. Dawn produces a really good anime podcast and it's worth a listen. It's fascinating for some of us to hear what the anime fan culture was like back in the 80s and early 90s. So instead of whining about being "bait-and-switched" how about giving it a shot? It's not like you were linked to a paywall and forced to pay for this. It's a free podcast. You might actually like it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

spoiler[Miami Mike traveled cons and owned an anime store in Florida. Their most popular products were fansubs. It's believed Mike bought/traded for some of Ctenosaur's tapes from a con, copied them and sold them at his store. Ctenosaur found out and got mad.

The more amusing part is that Mike apparently didn't screen his tapes, so he eventually sold the ones where Ctenosaur were calling him out. A customer brought this up at Mike's shop and that's how they found out.]

Last edited by Primus on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
Hey man, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed what I read. I'm not dissing the content or the podcast. It was just upsetting to not have the thing in the title revealed in the article. It brings flashbacks of dial-up era click-baits.

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
#852518 wrote:
Unlike some of the complainers here, I'm listening to the podcast and having a good time hearing some old anime fandom stories. Dawn produces a really good anime podcast and it's worth a listen. It's fascinating for some of us to hear what the anime fan culture was like back in the 80s and early 90s. So instead of whining about being "bait-and-switched" how about giving it a shot? It's not like you were linked to a paywall and forced to pay for this. It's a free podcast. You might actually like it.

That's not the point here. The point is the article promised one thing but rather than deliver it we were instead told to go somewhere else and get it there. It's even worse since we're only told this after reading the entire article so not only does it feel like a waste of time, but also like we were tricked since the fact it was an ad wasn't said upfront.

The podcast could be good, sure, but the bad way it was pushed on us just sours the entire thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

That's not the point here. The point is the article promised one thing but rather than deliver it we were instead told to go somewhere else and get it there. It's even worse since we're only told this after reading the entire article so not only does it feel like a waste of time, but also like we were tricked since the fact it was an ad wasn't said upfront.

The podcast could be good, sure, but the bad way it was pushed on us just sours the entire thing.

Oh, Vaisaga, you're so hard to please. Nobody "tricked" you - why do you always have to go with the most dramatically negative framing possible, man?

I've changed the header to make it a little clearer what you're getting. It's the weekend, relax.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Oh, Vaisaga, you're so hard to please. Nobody "tricked" you - why do you always have to go with the most dramatically negative framing possible, man?

And why do you always dismiss your critics as unreasonable overreactors so you can more easily invalidate their comments? Wait, I just answered my own question.

Do note I said "it feels like we were tricked." Hard not to when the article says it'll answer who Miami Mike is but then doesn't and tells us to listen to an hour long podcast to find out.

But yes, the title you changed it to is good. And it is something to get a bit concerned about since there's a risk such things could become a regular occurrence. ANN is hard enough to browse as it is being overloaded with ads. I'd hate to see it go in a worse direction.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

And why do you always dismiss your critics as unreasonable overreactors so you can more easily invalidate their comments? Wait, I just answered my own question.

What? I changed the article title based on your feedback. I've done that several times.

Relax. That's all I'm saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5