• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Junji Ito "Collection" Anime's Unaired 'Tomie' Episodes Previewed in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Tomie!!!

I'm dying to see this bundled OVA. Kuh, I'm already missing Junji Itou on Saturdays Crying or Very sad
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. It was a nice weekly horror anthology.

I'm interested in these specials, now, since I like the Tomie movies.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll touch up the animation so that it actually moves! Some of the later episodes look really bad.
venomblade89

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Why won't they give this show any semblance of a budget :/. Some of the episodes in the anthology were really interesting, but the execution just wasn't there most of the time...
nAnoMarV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
No BD?
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
I don't think budget alone was the issue, it also felt like they just didn't know what they were doing. 'Super Eyepatch Wolf' on yt made a nice video about that.

I'm not happy with that trailer either. In that picture of her memorial, they used Ito's Manga frame as a foundation. But, Ito was just starting out when he drew this. His style changed a LOT through the run of Tomie. But while he drew her differently, I don't think Tomie as a character ever changed in looks per se, she was just drawn better later. I don't think her looking different in older stories should be considered "canon". It doesn't makes sense for an Amine to adapt that.
It's "true" to the source material, but now she doesn't look like the Tomie on other episodes.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. Hope it gets subbed once it's released. I really enjoyed the series a lot and, while obvioulsy not having the greatest budget, it looked damn fine in an eerie way. Also, the soundtrack was amazing.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
OVA huh? Hopefully it shows up on FUNi. I’ve been enjoying most of the stories, the occasional dud notwithstanding.
NisaRF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
I don't think budget alone was the issue, it also felt like they just didn't know what they were doing. 'Super Eyepatch Wolf' on yt made a nice video about that.

I'm not happy with that trailer either. In that picture of her memorial, they used Ito's Manga frame as a foundation. But, Ito was just starting out when he drew this. His style changed a LOT through the run of Tomie. But while he drew her differently, I don't think Tomie as a character ever changed in looks per se, she was just drawn better later. I don't think her looking different in older stories should be considered "canon". It doesn't makes sense for an Amine to adapt that.It's "true" to the source material, but now she doesn't look like the Tomie on other episodes.

Why it doesn't? Tomie's "evolution" in her looks, actually gives more meaning to her story. Indeed, it's affected greatly by Itou-sensei gradually improved skills in drawing. But just in case you don't understand yet, Tomie is a personification of "everlasting lust" who "live" with the "love" other people gives to her. With this "love", she "grows" & continue to "live". Even after being killed over & over, she will revived again when there's "love" for her so she can continue her "growth". Tomie gradually getting "better" (or maybe, "prettier") since her debut, become some kind of visualization for that "growth".

It's kinda hard to tell, but I just can put it that way in words. It seems like, the animation staff did know what they were doing more than you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1