• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Announces Temporarily Titled 'Mega Drive Mini' Console for Release in Japan this Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, Sega's copying Nintendo - again.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Do you realize they do this in EVERY field of business and entertainment?
Ideas that work get copied because it makes money!
Now, what should concern people is NOT that this basic concept is being repeated but how WELL they're re-executed.
Occasionally, the SECOND TIME around that somebody does something, CAN work out much better.
Nintendo was NOT the first videogame company to release a home console -- that was actually Magnavox back in the early 1970s with the original Odyssey which was a glorified Pong game. (The ARCADE game Pong was actually ripped off from the Odyssey console.) The Odyssey console was actually just ONE game with colored transparent plastic overlays you could put on a TV screen to fool yourself into think it was a bunch of different games! The first console that actually had removable cartridges that plugged into a slot was the Atari 2600 but that's not the console most people remember favorably. The first console machine to hit favorably AND maintain the mystique about it was Nintendo's NES/Famicom console.

Another example -- the Marvel live-action films are the most popular action/adventure film series in the world now. DC/WB STILL haven't really managed to lift their DC Comics/DC Superheroes live-action film franchise off the ground DESPITE the success of the animated TV shows and films they produced since 1992! The real reason for DC/WB's lack of success is because the people running that film division don't understand the characters and are cynical. If you can't create even a decent Superman film you have problems and need to reconsider executives and who's running things but some industries are better than others in passing blame onto others and promoting incompetence. That's unfortunately happened with both DC and Warner Bros.

I wish Sega well. That company was an innovator for the last half of the 1980s and much of the 1990s. Their arcade games were cutting edge in the mid-1990s and they made what I considered the best racing games I've ever played.

What they will probably focus on is the 8-bit and 16-bit eras. Those are easy games to emulate and it should cost nothing to produce a console that can replay Sonic, Phantasy Star, and of the other 16-bit franchises.
It's not my area of interest in Sega games but I wish them luck. I'm honestly more of a fun of the Sega Model 1/2 arcade games and the exclusives they debuted on the Sega Saturn and Sega Dreamcast.

We NEED competent competition in every industry. It's NOT GOOD when one company is monolithic and controls everything. The game industry can only be better when more than one company is involved.
Sega is actually doing well now but it would be nice to see them make a more solid comeback into videogames which is where the company made its international reputation in the 1980s and 1990s.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Well lets just hope they also don't copy their production numbers
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
People, there's absolutely no need to respond to a single-sentence fanboy bait troll comment with anything outside of rolling your eyes and moving on (and away) from it.. I mean, really. Rolling Eyes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Well lets just hope they also don't copy their production numbers

True, I've found copies of that Genesis thing AtGames made but I've yet to find either NES or SNES mini. And that AtGames "Genesis" was actually intended to be official? I thought it was more a homebrew knock off sort of thing... which it was that as well?

But this "Mega Drive Mini" idea is a perfectly apt place for them to be, digging their own grave in Nintendo's shadow. Sega does what Nintendon't. Bravado in the 90s but 25 years later? "Let's Ninten... do as they do."
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hackers at the ready! The software limitations of the miniature SNES were soon overcome; they'll doubtlessly do the same here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
@GeorgeC Dude, I was referring to how they’re releasing a modern mini version of their console shortly after Nintendo released the NES Mini and SNES Mini, not that they made a console at all. I’m not stupid... I even know someone with an original Genesis...
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it’s better then the one AtGames made which is a piece of shit with audio issues.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Hopefully it’s better then the one AtGames made which is a piece of shit with audio issues.

AtGames is making it.

NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, screw this...

Last edited by NJ_ on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC: Actually, while barely anyone but people like me remember it, the Fairchild Channel F, released in 1976, was actually the first game console that used programmable cartridges. They looked much like the old 8-track tapes but had a variety of games for the system.

The system itself had a neat built-in hockey game/Pong clone that used the controller in a (then) unique way. Sadly, because they tended to only be available from specialty stores or mail order, it wasn't successful. Atari took the concept and ran with it, featuring the Atari VCS in major stores (and let Sears put out a licensed version under the Tele-Games name), which exposed the console to the masses and made it a hit.

But technically, the original Magnavox Odyssey had a variety of games, not just Tennis (the precursor to Atari's Pong), and had swappable cards that altered what was on the screen, usable with the games that used screens you placed on the TV tube itself. It also had light-gun games.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

AtGames has been pumping these out for long before Nintendo started doing plug-and-plays.

This whole trend started with Atari in 2004 anyway.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hackers at the ready! The software limitations of the miniature SNES were soon overcome; they'll doubtlessly do the same here.

If At Games still hasn't learned how to make a throwback system without audio issues and other problems it won't matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1