• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Is It Wrong To Expect A Hot Spring In A Dungeon?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
I am a fan of Danmachi, but to me it is not worth it to pay $30 or so for this OVA. It is a nice "beach episode", but I would have preferred if Sentai had released it as a DVD/BD combo at $20 MSRP; I did not need or want the soundtrack.

I actually bought the BD release of Is It Wrong To Expect A Hot Spring In A Dungeon?, but I did it in large part to support Sentai's initiative to release another stand alone OVA. And if Is It Wrong To Expect A Hot Spring In A Dungeon? sells well Sentai might decide to release more OVA's, like the ones for SNAFU, Shirobako and To Love-Ru.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am a fan of Danmachi, but to me it is not worth it to pay $30 or so for this OVA. It is a nice "beach episode", but I would have preferred if Sentai had released it as a DVD/BD combo at $20 MSRP; I did not need or want the soundtrack.

I actually bought the BD release of Is It Wrong To Expect A Hot Spring In A Dungeon?, but I did it in large part to support Sentai's initiative to release another stand alone OVA. And if Is It Wrong To Expect A Hot Spring In A Dungeon? sells well Sentai might decide to release more OVA's, like the ones for SNAFU, Shirobako and To Love-Ru.

This is kinda why I'm starting to not like Sentai Filmworks as a distributor to anime, no DVD/Blu-Ray packs and hilariously over priced products.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I paid $25 for this on Amazon, which is considerably less than what I’ve paid for other soundtracks in the past, especially when I had to import them. So while that’s quite a bit more than $5-6 you could find the HoTD OVA for, they at least added the soundtrack and some physical extras to the release. Soundtracks are one of the items they get the most requests for/

As for a combo pack, I’m actually very happy that more companies are moving away from them and ending DVD releases. I know some people still haven’t upgraded, but Bluray players can be found for under $50 now. Combo packs just add unnecessary waste for me. I only buy DVD for shows and movies that haven’t had Blurays releases and are unlikely to in the future.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
DanMachi is a great show and I have zero problems with fanservice but that price is a tad high even for an OVA. I get the sense that the Japanese licensor was likely involved in setting that price.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
A lot of sub only Blu-ray releases. I am disappointed they didn't bother to dub Atom the Beginning, but I guess it's because Astro is just not popular here, which is a shame because I'd have loved to hear the cast dubbed. Also disappointing is the Zatch Bell movies don't have dubs either. Guess I won't be getting anything from this week.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The full MSRP would've been too expensive, but at ~$30 street price, or less, plus the 2disc series OST and the booklet, that's actually not bad. The OSTs are definitely welcome.

I know some people are complaining about selling it separately but the issue is that it was released a year later as a separate OVA in Japan, so it obviously should be expected to be a separate license. I think given how late Sentai releases their home videos anyways and how close Sentai released it close to the TV season it definitely would've been nice to have this AND the OST included in a premium box set, but I don't know if they would've been allowed to do that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
This is kinda why I'm starting to not like Sentai Filmworks as a distributor to anime, no DVD/Blu-Ray packs and hilariously over priced products.

Please don't characterize Sentai as another Aniplex USA. The $800 LoGH set has made Sentai an evil company apparently. Fans can be so unfair.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Selling a 1 episode OVA is rather greedy, could they not have included it in the season 1 set.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Selling a 1 episode OVA is rather greedy, could they not have included it in the season 1 set.

Considering the season one set has been out for a while now, no. They would have had to delay the release by nearly a year. They may have been able to release it with Sword Oratoria, but that really depends on the licensing terms. The OVA’s are usually licensed from a different publisher, and they can’t always be included in others sets.

Unfortunately, the complaints about releasing a single episode are probably a large reason as to why R1 companies just don’t bother with them most of the time.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

This is totally why I bought it too. Though the soundtrack was a nice added bonus (and surprisingly better than I remember while watching the show.) But hopefully this sold enough to make Sentai realize there are fans who want the OVA's. I tell them at every panel they have at expo's and every licensing survey to license those damn To Love-Ru OVA's. It's a crime it hasn't happened yet.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
A lot of sub only Blu-ray releases. I am disappointed they didn't bother to dub Atom the Beginning, but I guess it's because Astro is just not popular here, which is a shame because I'd have loved to hear the cast dubbed. Also disappointing is the Zatch Bell movies don't have dubs either. Guess I won't be getting anything from this week.

Yeah, I don't have a Blu-player so I can't really buy Blu-rays. (anybody know of a inexpensive portable Blu-ray player?)

I kind of wish the Zatch Bell movies were dubbed, but I thought for certain the first one was dubbed because a long time ago when the anime aired on Toonami I remember seeing a pre-order page on RightStuf with the first movie. Are we sure Viz isn't holding out on Discotek?
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

I kind of wish the Zatch Bell movies were dubbed, but I thought for certain the first one was dubbed because a long time ago when the anime aired on Toonami I remember seeing a pre-order page on RightStuf with the first movie. Are we sure Viz isn't holding out on Discotek?

I remember they were going to dub the first movie at first and there was hype, but then it didn't happen. Probably due to when it got cancelled on CN or something? That's what I'm guessing.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Picked up a couple of these so it was pretty busy month of anime purchases for me.

belvadeer wrote:

Yeah, I was really hoping Atom the Beginning would get one. I still ordered it but it sucked that they didn't dub it.

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:

I remember they were going to dub the first movie at first and there was hype, but then it didn't happen. Probably due to when it got cancelled on CN or something? That's what I'm guessing.

I thought so too so maybe that's it. A shame they hadn't gotten to at least dub the first one so it could have been on here.

It's cool they've given the two movies a blu-ray though.

configspace wrote:
The full MSRP would've been too expensive, but at ~$30 street price, or less, plus the 2disc series OST and the booklet, that's actually not bad. The OSTs are definitely welcome.

Agreed, the sizeable discount plus the soundtrack makes it more doable.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Yeah, I was really hoping Atom the Beginning would get one. I still ordered it but it sucked that they didn't dub it.

It majorly sucks. I've already seen it in Japanese once, so I'm not bothering with the home release.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Holy Suds Batman! The cover art alone is worth the price for the Danmachi OVA if you ask me... Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2