• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club to Suspend [New Life+] Novel Sales After July 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Well considering the Japanese publisher cancelled the series this isn't that surprising. It doesn't make sense to translate a series that will never get an ending.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Was it necessary? Really? Even to the point of halting the sales of already released volumes? I'm not ever going to read this, but the overreaction sure is laughable.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
A novel series is killed by a tweet... Seriously? If only people would unite against more important things than inappropriate tweets. Confused
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Was it necessary? Really? Even to the point of halting the sales of already released volumes? I'm not ever going to read this, but the overreaction sure is laughable.

That's the world we live in. If you post discriminatory remarks for the whole world to see no publisher in their right mind will want to support you. Besides, what's one less light novel about some guy in a fantasy world where every girl wants him?
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I was enjoying the manga but now, everything is dead.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Could someone please explain how a guy with some old ignorant/racist tweets got his novel shipments halted and anime cancelled, while Watsuki seems to get off with not even a slap on the wrist?

Yeah two different publishers and I hate harem stories as much as the next guy, but this seems ridiculous. Wtf Japan?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
This just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down.

Furuzaki wrote:
A novel series is killed by a tweet... Seriously? If only people would unite against more important things than inappropriate tweets. Confused

There was a reboot of a popular sitcom show from the 90's that got killed by a single recent racist tweet. Sorry if the comparison does not make sense but I find it interesting because both cancellations happened within two weeks.
Nayrael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
By how everyone is reacting to this, you'd think that the author actively posts pro-Nazi tweets.

FFS, the controversial tweets are over 5 years old. Judging by how young LN authors are nowadays, it may have been posted when he was still a stupid teenager who didn't know better than to listen to idiots, or close enough to that age. The books don't have racism, the books were sold in China for a long while without issues, the author did not recently post anything bad, and even apologized for his ancient remarks.

Nowadays, you say something controversial while 14 years old and 10 years later your entire life deserves to be destroyed.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Could someone please explain how a guy with some old ignorant/racist tweets got his novel shipments halted and anime cancelled, while Watsuki seems to get off with not even a slap on the wrist?

Watsuki is a big name and makes a lot of money for the publisher. This one LN author is a nobody.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:

Yeah two different publishers and I hate harem stories as much as the next guy, but this seems ridiculous. Wtf Japan?

This guy upset China, who has a lot of financial power. Similar to how Hollywood caters to the Chinese market with their movies and decision making. Much bigger hit to potential profits and company relations than Watsuki's case.

-Stuart Smith
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I think the author kinda deserves it.

You should never tweet something that is clearly stupid and dumb. Yes its from 5 years ago and some people might defend him by saying he was young but I honestly think that it is no excuse. The fact that he tweeted something so wrong and insulting is a clear sign of the authors real personality. I don't want to support an author who is bloody racist
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
This is so unbelievably stupid it hurts.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

I think someone who makes nasty tweets deserves to have nasty tweets hurled back at him and see a decline in sales. I think he deserves to have his fans and especially his editors tell him to knock it off, so he can course-correct. That's of course assuming that he hasn't knocked it off and course-corrected already.

And if he apologizes and course-corrects, I think he deserves to be forgiven.
Nayrael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

You should never tweet something that is clearly stupid and dumb. Yes its from 5 years ago and some people might defend him by saying he was young but I honestly think that it is no excuse. The fact that he tweeted something so wrong and insulting is a clear sign of the authors real personality. I don't want to support an author who is bloody racist

No, it's NOT sign of your real personality. It's called ignorance, as well as inability to think for oneself. People are not such simple creatures that you are born good or evil (which is, ironically, very close to Nazi who also believe that some people are born better than others), and so many Japanese hate Chinese&Koreans&Ainu, as well as apologize WW2-era Japan and the Axis, that it's easy for the young to actually think that it's both normal and good to think so... actually, depending on your upbringing, it may be impossible not to until you are old enough to develop critical thinking as adults try to push these ideas into your head.

In meantime, certain actual Pedophiles and actual Nazi apologists in Japan are going through much less punishment (because they bring in money) than this guy who is just a sacrificial goat for these publishers to attract money from fools who think they are doing the right thing. It also serves as a great way to make people think you are punishing bad guys while in reality you protect them. And of course, people fall for it.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I feel it's things like this that's actually fueling greater resurgence of racism and hatred. What was done to this author only succeeds in making him a martyr to racists. It's a quick fix that only really succeeds in covering over the problem and creating this illusion that the problem went away and that we're "winning" against the racists.

In the end the author learns nothing from this, as all this will do is put him into a situation where he will more likely end up now cementing racist opinions blaming those groups for destroying his career. The racists learn nothing from this, because they see this as another example of the liberals trying to censor them. The people fighting racism learn nothing from this, because they think this was a victory when all it's done is add future fuel and strength to those they're fighting against.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6