• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spice & Wolf Gets VR Anime in Early 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
You had to get my hopes up for a second before I saw "VR." Bleh.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
What the heck is a "virtual reality anime?" I seriously have no idea how the mechanics of something inherently 2-dimensional would fit into something inherently 3-dimensional.

Also, I never did finish watching the old Spice & Wolf, but I've heard it could actually be useful in teaching economics...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
is this META commentary, you have to already be a savvy businessman just to be with Holo @@
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is completely up to date with the series, why am I crying right now?
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess it's time for me to get a VR headset.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
How's about an actual new series Japan?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
What the heck is a "virtual reality anime?"

Something like this, apparently. Video game with anime-esque art style. Sort of a 3D visual novel, I guess.

Like pretty much everyone else, I'd kinda prefer the third season that will never come, but I guess this is cheaper to make?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Third Wheel: The Anime
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
What the heck is a "virtual reality anime?" I seriously have no idea how the mechanics of something inherently 2-dimensional would fit into something inherently 3-dimensional.

Playstation VR has a few non-game shorts for headgear wearers, including the funny "Invasion!" and a Chinese-produced Dreamworks-clone Monkey King adventure, that are designed to put the viewer into the "center" of a 360 environment, with the action traveling to or from one viewpoint (behind or to the side) to another.
Usually in crisp CGI, like the games, to give an idea that "solid" 3D-CGI characters are coming in and out of your personal comfort space, but it's certainly immersive.
Most non-game promotional VR is aimed more for the smartphone/Google Cardboard use, though, and I'm guessing that's even more true for Japanese promotional VR.

Just how that could POSSIBLY translate to a Spice & Wolf story, I haven't the foggiest idea.
Wouldn't mind being on the cart with Holo, though. Razz
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
There's a VR drama on the PSN in Japan I got to check out Saturday that was really neat. They could definitely use 3D models (and probably will), but I think doing a 2D animation could also work. There are also games like "The Invisible Hour" that are REALLY cool, despite being mostly short movies (I highly recommend that one in particular), but there are also things like the Fate GO VR demo thing (fanservice as all heck, but still cute) and the Kizumonogatari VR video (where you watch action scenes from the films in an auditorium next to Shinobu... and things get surreal for you pretty quickly. It's free on the Japanese PSN, so check it out!).

I can see it being really interesting. Just... not long or significant in any way.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
as much as i want a 3rd season , i doubt it will ever happen....

least i have my thanksgiving tradition, most people spend time with family . I chain watch the entire series each thanksgiving. going for 6 years in a row now!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Basically it's a 3d "anime". He specified on Twitter that you can put "Face to tail" (https://twitter.com/spicytails/status/1018787874043408384), so I assume we'll have SOME form of control, but the nature of it being listed as an "Anime" also tells me that it will be extremely restricted. Possibly only head-movement, but that's just assumptions. Being able to put face to tail seems to be a large motivation for this lol.

As for a season 3, right before announcing this, he said "If the third period of animation does not come ..." then next tweet was "why not create VR anime!". To me that seems to rule out a season 3 happening any time soon....

Vanadiset wrote:
Well, I guess it's time for me to get a VR headset.
Not quite. This will probably be extremely limited in regards to what can be controlled, so watching it via the Windows "movie" version (https://twitter.com/spicytails/status/1018836030521110528) probably won't be much of a downgrade but will save you a lot of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNkLA2yfpA <----their previous VR effort. I expect this Spice and Wolf "Anime" to look identical to this since it's being made by the same team, apparently.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
The VR market is still in development of being more widely available. While it is nice this anime will have Eng. subs, it would also be nice if they made it available on VOD sites for those that don't use VR equipment.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Also, I never did finish watching the old Spice & Wolf, but I've heard it could actually be useful in teaching economics...

Your waifu is going to turn into 3D!
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
What the heck is a "virtual reality anime?"

Something like this, apparently. Video game with anime-esque art style. Sort of a 3D visual novel, I guess.

Like pretty much everyone else, I'd kinda prefer the third season that will never come, but I guess this is cheaper to make?

It IS a visual novel. I can see no way that what they will create will not 100% match VR visual novels that have come before. Calling it an "anime" is just being cute.

Although I assume they just mean it will be a non-interactive VR video. Which you can look around as you please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1