• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
your name. Director Makoto Shinkai Teases New Film for Next Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skydrop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
finally next year going another good year for anime industry :D
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I think it's almost impossible that Shinkai will repeat his box office performance but the growing markets in Asia, specially China, probably mean that his next movie will also be a massive hit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
How might Shinkai proceed from his recent acclaim? Another of his simple mood pieces or an intricate, twist-laden roll of the dice? Though my hopes for the former are cautiously low, I will be content so long as he steers clear of the high fantasy genre...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Inb4 claims he's lost his touch or some other such nonsense after this hits theaters. Unfortunately, his works may always be compared to Your Name from now on.
Dey21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
All I need is romance with glorious graphics.

Good luck Mega Shinkai.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Another instance of "long distance relationships suck"? Just don't stick any paranormal gimmickry to it like you've done with Your Name and Place Promised in Our Early Days to needlessly complicate the film's plot. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Another instance of "long distance relationships suck"? Just don't stick any paranormal gimmickry to it like you've done with Your Name and Place Promised in Our Early Days to needlessly complicate the film's plot. Rolling Eyes

If that’s all you got from watching Your Name then I’m afraid the fault lies with you as a viewer. Sorry.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping his next film has less boob jokes this time.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm rather curious how this will turn out.

Zin5ki wrote:
How might Shinkai proceed from his recent acclaim? Another of his simple mood pieces or an intricate, twist-laden roll of the dice? Though my hopes for the former are cautiously low, I will be content so long as he steers clear of the high fantasy genre...

Well I hope he caters to my interests instead of yours. He should go full high fantasy in my opinion, make a romance between a dragon and a female knight. As they say you can't please everyone, so while you seemingly dislike or maybe even hate high fantasy there are those of us that love the genre.

I'm not sure if Princess Mononoke counts as "high fantasy", but that's still my favorite anime film to date. Maybe even favorite animated film in general. Also while it's not Japanese I know LOTR is for a fact high fantasy, which I can say that's beloved by me and my overall family + friends, I mention this because I could go for a romance anime film in a similar world and setting.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I would very much prefer he went back to Sci-Fi. He's expressed interest in that but doing research on folklore hits at the opposite direction. Oh well. Fan since Voices of a Distant Star, so I'll be very excited no matter what.

General rule is that if something is good, the sequel will do even better in sales even if it sucks. The hype is what will sell it. If it sucks, the one AFTER will suffer.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Here's hoping his next film has less boob jokes this time.

There was like 3 and they made sense in the context
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the theme I'll be interested. Can't wait to see where he goes next
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely down to watch whatever this man decides to make. I look forward to it.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

If that’s all you got from watching Your Name then I’m afraid the fault lies with you as a viewer. Sorry.
I honestly don’t know how much you could get from that film other than the trite idea that life is better in the country side? Makoto Shinkai is overly sentimental and boring. Beyond technical qualities, I don’t understand the praise for his films.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
The muses are fickle females.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2