• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heart-Pounding Anime Sword Fights

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Is Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 missing from the poll on purpose? Anyway, that's my most anticipated show of the season, no matter whether or not it fits the pure-bred definition of anime...i'm not especially excited about any of the others, but i'm sure there'll be a couple of positive surprises like every season.

And yay for Gintoki/Takasugi battle, it kinda makes up for the utter disgrace of Sadaharu placing last in the previous poll...people have no taste.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Rurouni Kenshin indeed has one of the best sword fights in anime, but it's not Kenshin vs. Shishio, it's Kenshin vs. Saito. That one is a lot more intense in my opinion. I like the kind of darker art that the fight has. I like when Kaoru first tries to step in, she hesitates for a moment when she sees Kenshin's intense stare but finds the courage to step in anyway. And I like the badass taunts.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The first Garo anime had a really intense sword fight scene.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Bleach fights are missing.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I do think the Illya vs Saber Alter fight from Prisma Illya was really great sword fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny48TvSAX90
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Bleach fights are missing.

What Bleach fight could hold a candle to any of these? They were almost universally poorly-animated and horribly-paced.

Glad to see both Sword of the Stranger and Champloo make the list. Those are two of my favorite animation sequences ever.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

What Bleach fight could hold a candle to any of these? They were almost universally poorly-animated and horribly-paced.

Honestly the spoiler[final part (both activate bankai) of Ichigo vs. Ginjo] from Bleach is actually a really good fight if that counts. It's pretty decently animated and very well paced. Seeing a determined Ichigo kick ass one more time is really cool.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
So happy to see Sword of the Stranger make it onto the list. That was a random purchase I made years ago and man was it worth it. Even got to see it in one of the big viewing rooms at an Otakon in the past. Seeing that last fight on a big screen was impressive.
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
...it's not a classic obviously, but nothing about Katsugeki Touken Ranbu?

I mean say what you will about the series overall, but it had some damned good sword fights.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this is why these lists are titled in the form of "7 Heart-Pounding Anime Sword Fights" rather than "7 Best Anime Sword Fights". Laughing
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Glad to see both Sword of the Stranger and Champloo make the list. Those are two of my favorite animation sequences ever.

This. They are first two that come to mind the moment any such list is brought up. Anyone who hasn't seen Sword of the Stranger and who loves action anime, track it down. It's not so much the animation, which is good, as the superb choreography and the dramatic timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
not gonna lie i instantly clicked this link cause of the fate cover(i was gonna click it eventually though).
I'm quite pleased that shiro vs archer made this list even if the ranking is in no particular order.
And while overall this fate fight had more on the line than most, fate has always been full of breathtaking fight scenes.
In UBW the surprise attack by spoiler[Souichirou on saber was so incredible it had me on the edge of my seat] even the fight with Illya vs saber alter in prisma was one of my favourites.
The gintama reference caught me off guard, i actually thought it was nothing but a parody manga.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
I do think the Illya vs Saber Alter fight from Prisma Illya was really great sword fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny48TvSAX90

Thank you for bringing up Prisma Illya! It definitely has some of the best fights in the Fate series period and I absolutely love Illya Archer Vs. Saber Alter. Also Oath Under The Snow with Shirou Vs. Angelica is also fantastic as well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin indeed has one of the best sword fights in anime, but it's not Kenshin vs. Shishio, it's Kenshin vs. Saito. That one is a lot more intense in my opinion. I like the kind of darker art that the fight has. I like when Kaoru first tries to step in, she hesitates for a moment when she sees Kenshin's intense stare but finds the courage to step in anyway. And I like the badass taunts.

it wasnt just that one. it was the other fight against jin-ne! that was the more darker one since he became THIS close to becoming batosai the slasher again! the fight against saito was intense indeed, but didn't had much in meaning since we all knew he wasnt going to turn back into batosai!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand NO ONE WAS SURPRISED on who would make the top 5 cutest mascots at all. though i am more surprised that the cat from trigun didn't make the list but BBB's sonic DID!? what's up with that!? not to mention yunno from lyrical nanoha S1!? he should definitely be on that list for sure!!! the one that DO NOT deserve to be there is that monstrosity named kyubey!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3