• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams: The Animation (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
So wasn't part of the premise of this show that Princess Nobody had to wake up all of these princes sleeping in rings? Because there sure are an awful lot of wide-awake, not-trapped-in-rings princes running around.

Not that I'm complaining!

I honestly feels like the show is making it up as it goes in regards to Princess.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote

So is she going to be able to breathe underwater for the rest of her life now? I guess that's handy. They should just have Orion kiss the whole crew, then nobody would drown and fujoshi everywhere would rejoice. Wink

Yeah, so far I think Avi is the only Prince she's awakened from ring jail. Maybe "sleeping" is a euphemism for living a restricted life. Gilbert and Gary were trapped by the curse, the pirates were all trapped by their past trauma over dead comrades, Kiel is trapped by amnesia... All the aquatic princes seemed to be content and reasonably well-balanced though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Totally forgot that the princess could breath in water or something, was going to comment on the ridiculous swimming ability, that apparently jumping into the ocean while in the middle of a storm is only mildly inconvenient unless you are unconscious, making it feel little less scary. Maybe getting my attention more on that since I am doing a write up on the elemental planes in D&D, including the elemental plane of water, and the difficulties of water. Characters jumping off in the middle of a storm is silly, especially when most movies and stuff deal with character thrown into ocean is pretty much lost forever, while I think there were long stretches no one was helming the ship. I guess magic light thing saved the day.

I was also really annoyed by a part where they threw flowers off the ship, with the flowers being fine, but as those were animated falling, the ship itself seemed to be frozen including a spray of water that was just stuck in time unlike flowers. There was also this weird part where Avi jumped into the water, he seemed to dive like he was going down, but then he was on the surface, with Kiel in his arms and him waking up, just felt strangely animated. Kudos for princess doing something this time, but felt a little unbalanced.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
There were long stretches of no one helming the ship because the rudder wasn't responding. If you meant before that, when they were opening the room, apparently someone was at the helm, or they couldn't report that the rudder wasn't working.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This show isn't perfect by any stretch of imagination but I'm surprised that they are managing to balance so many characters and get something good out of their interactions and plots. Seriously, last arc there were 5 new dudes but they all got some scene with Princess and had a nice and supportive dinamic with each other. The lack of romance probably helps.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sticking with the idea that "sleeping" means stuck. The ice princes were stuck in winter because of past traumas, and the Tea Party boys were stuck in the past waiting for Alice. Kiel's amnesia is being resolved, but he's still unable to move forward until he settles with Setiq.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
I am maybe going to come across harsh, and maybe some level of unfair, but I am not happy with this Alice in Wonderland arc. It felt kind of cheap that in kind of just being shallow in the use of the property, even with probably many fiction that is also pretty shallow with it. When I think it was the Mad Hatter brought up a watch that could control time, the only reasonable answer made me think was that it should totally be a normal watch, with the mad characters of Wonderland just seeing the fact you could alter the time on the watch to be controlling time. But instead it was apparently a cosmos altering device, that could be a total McGuffin in solving one of the problems of the running conflicts. It just seems to against the spirit of Wonderland.

Granted I am maybe saying this from just recently watching a video where the Nostalgia Critic tore apart the latest live action Wonderland movie from a few years back, because It tried too much to give reasons to things, that by the nature of the series shouldn't have a reason. For there being the entire point that there should be no point, that the Hatter and friends repeating tea time because they misunderstood a turn of phrase. Similarly, I don't think this arc really did anything to come across a sense of madness, nonsense and unreasonable. Instead really just animal boys, and a character who had a top hat, that was not actually the hatter. Actually feels like it would have been more thematic if the watch was just a toy, being totally irrelevant to getting memories back.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
My main complaint with this show is that the Princess is so incredibly passive. I mean, she's supposed to be quite powerful in theory, but she mostly just let's things happen to her - Cheshire sure didn't have much trouble 'kidnapping' her for example - and the boys do most of the acting.

It probably wouldn't bother me quite as much if we didn't have the main characters of Phantom in the Twilight or Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi for comparison this season. But well, i'm mostly in it for the Kihel/Setiq mystery by now...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
So lots of questions answered now. It looks like Princess Passive will probably do her glowy chant thing and free Papa from the ring where his soul has been in stasis like Avi's was. I also kinda expect Kihel to take the ring back when the cut-to-black scene continues, having learned some important lesson from his traveling companions.

I do kinda like the ED song though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
I kind of feel like I have been barely paying attention. The episode kind of just started with things going down in a change of location. The look of the guard uniform made me laugh at how horrible it looked, and I found myself just assuming all the guys were dating, grown man look like he was taking a little boy out on a sort of romantic picnic.

Did any of the villagers move, even in the flashback? Goes into what I said earlier in it feeling like locations are just empty and lifeless, even if I think it was meant to be the point in this episode, but does not really succeed in creating much of a contrast.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

She talked about her journey where she revived princes. How many princes did she revive? I am pretty sure it is a key part of the source material, but she kind of just brought back Avi and then I guess pretty much everything other character they met was a prince. Were we meant to feel sorry for Setique? Because didn't they pretty much say he was responsible for what was happening to the people of the kingdom? The villain was like created from his dark side, it is not like he was sunshine afterwards. I really did not feel moved about what we were shown I guess a steward acting like a nanny. Maybe some unfairness then in that I did not really care about this plotline.

I just thought about it, but why is one main character named Avi, and another Navi? Probably not as bad as I had problems with, but I don't think this show came back from its rocky start. A chief sore spot for me was that the princess barely did anything, especially bad compared to Aoi from Kakuriyo and Ton from Phantom in the Twilight, which have both had heroines that are people of action in moving things forward. I already went into earlier where princess was pretty much punished for trying in the first episode, and that she has been kind of inconsistent. Still think they could have achieved more if they went full in for her otaku trait, it worked for Kae in KHNM. I really could not tell you anything definitive about her character, other than I guess she cares.

Really much further is going to be a continues hitting low sort of thing, this show likely was never able to deliver some amazing piece of work. Like how I was thinking the show was being poor on how the building in this episode was supposed to be collapsing. But I do want to focus on something I said earlier, that it just feels like story transitions just happen, and never some sort of downtime to explain what characters did between events, and how they were really deciding to go where they were. Had me a couple times having to go back to the previous episode in whether I missed how it ended. Maybe it is just me, I can be weird and want to see characters stop by an inn or get supplies.

In conclusion, I give a rating of Not really good (4/10), but also not a total waste of time either. I am perhaps going to come across as harsh because it really did not appeal to me, and others will probably say that it is not trying to, but I have seen plenty of similar shows in this vane that have achieved that, so I don't take it as an excuse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was a pretty terrible finale. "Go find some place out of the way while we deal with this." Wow.

I'm not sure that anything that happened even made sense. If it did, I missed it being distracted by yelling at the Princess to do her thing already.

I actually kind of enjoyed this series up to the finale, but that was just so bad it's really soured me on the whole thing.
Zunda-mochi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
As someone that has played the actual game of this and was also watching this anime as it was airing, I can also agree that this anime was just terrible and actually, it does not do the game justice at all.
The first thing is, for a LOT of people that have not played the game, the actual storyline is completely different than the anime and revolves around WHY the Kingdom of Dreams got overrun by the 'Yumekui' and stuff. There are not actually 2 princes (Avi and Kielu)+ Navi following the Princess of Troimeia around but a least 5-6 that help and support her along the way and have their own storylines incorporated into it. The rest of the Princes like the Pirates, Wonderland, and the Snow country are all from the side stories and event quests that you get separately in the game.
I don't know why they were added in this anime... Maybe because they are the most popular Princes is my guess.
Also, this is going to be a HUGE HUGE spoiler:
spoiler[ In the game the reason Navi follows the Princess around isn't because he's just some cute-looking mascot, but is actually the Princess' twin brother and knew how the Kingdom of Troimeia fell into ruin. He died due to one of his trusted advisers turning on him and the Princess' other twin brother, Hope, saw all this (as well as witnessing the death of the King and Queen of Tromeia (all three sibling's parents) at the hands of the people who felt like they weren't having their 'dreams' come true and wanted the power from them, which was also the reason he gave that ring to the young Princess for safe-keeping). So when Hope created the Yumekui and then left to start making the world into utter despair, his twin brother's soul transferred into a plush toy that the Princess owned and cherished before she was sent away to the other world. But, the catch is, that he can't reveal his actual name to anyone because then he has to leave and disappear from the world forever.]
Kielu is basically created for the anime only, and was JUST (or is going to be) recently added to the game since he made an appearance at the end of Chapter 2 of the story-mode version. If you buy the DVD, you can get him via serial code.
Honestly, I don't know WHY they decided to do a completely different story for the anime then use the existing story for the game version but I'm guessing it's either because it's a big storyline that gives TOO much away, there are a lot of Princes (a lot of male VAs that voice in there including a couple of women VAs like Paku Romi, Kobayashi Yuu and Horie Yui are in there also!) or it's just an excuse to get more people to play the original Yume 100 game so they have to condense it somehow.

Also being nitpicky, the artwork for the Princes in the actual game is much more prettier and nicer than the anime (as usual), and honestly what turned me off was when Douglas in the anime showed up and his skin is just TOO light when in the game, he's a LOT darker.

Overall, as a Yume100 player, I am disappointed in this anime adaption a LOT really.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Wait, does she have spoiler[two brothers who are twins, or are the three siblings triplets? And her brother's name is Hope?] oO
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Wait, does she have spoiler[two brothers who are twins, or are the three siblings triplets? And her brother's name is Hope?] oO

My take was that they spoiler[clearly were both her twin].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3