• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Your Eternal Reward

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Incredibly brave putting themselves up for scrutiny here.

There are some elements of the SM community that are already picking over like hawks certain word choices in the translation / translation notes.

Never going to please everyone though :/.

Personally I think it's fantastic they have put so much effort to bringing a definitive edition to the English speaking world and not just done a slap dash make a quick buck version.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Great show. Love hearing about all the hard work behind the scenes.

Bought the previous Kodansha Comics edition of the manga and realized I prefer the anime, though, so I'll be passing on the Eternal edition. The annoying thing is I can't say exactly why the manga doesn't work for me as well.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
So grateful to them for giving us the definitive English version of the Sailor Moon manga. Hopefully once this re-re-release is finished, they'll work on giving us a re-release of the Codename: Sailor V manga.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
Incredibly brave putting themselves up for scrutiny here.

There are some elements of the SM community that are already picking over like hawks certain word choices in the translation / translation notes.

Never going to please everyone though :/.

Considering what happened last time, I don't exactly blame them since the previous releases under Flanagan (Volumes 1-8 & all of V) were a real mess and some of this was carried over to both anime adaptations (see "Evil Spirit, Be Exorcised" in the Viz dub & sub of the original and "Death Ribbon Revolution" in Toei's online subs for Crystal season 3).

With that said, the complaints here are pretty minor and from what I have seen, does look to be an improvement compared to back then so I look forward to buying when volume 2 is out since I plan to buy these two at a time.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
I've actually seen a lot of positive reception to the new translation, and I'm just excited that we're getting the Eternal version.

Can't wait to collect them all, and follow the new translation~.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 am Reply with quote
If I were to get the SM Manga now, I'd probably get the Eternal version.

I prefer hardcover if I can get it...
The question is price and whether I could justify it.

I'm VERY picky about what I buy in graphic novels.

I've gotta admit -- I kinda see the points some people make about the SM anime being more "digestible" than the manga.

I wonder if Kodansha will ever reprint Takeuchi's Sailor Moon illustration books. Those have been out of print for a LONG time in the West.
About a year ago, I did see a pair of the sketch books pop up in a used bookstore. I checked them out but I wasn't about to pay that much at that time for an old Tokyopop edition of anything!
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
"Moon Stick to Moon Wand" Thank God! Moon Stick has to be one of the laziest, unengaging, names for a fantasy wand. Takeuchi more than made up for it with other names, even to the other extreme but at least that's better than Moon Stick (Or is it that Stick is a straight translation of a word that sounds more romantic in Japanese than the flat feel it has in English?). I wish this had been done long ago.

I was going to give these a pass but now I'm curious.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
"Moon Stick to Moon Wand" Thank God! Moon Stick has to be one of the laziest, unengaging, names for a fantasy wand. Takeuchi more than made up for it with other names, even to the other extreme but at least that's better than Moon Stick (Or is it that Stick is a straight translation of a word that sounds more romantic in Japanese than the flat feel it has in English?). I wish this had been done long ago.

They explained it in the translation notes:
"In the Japanese edition, the name of this magical item is the English word "Moon Stick". "Stick" was the en-vogue word for magic wands in Japanese magical girl anime back in the 1980s and '90s, and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is no exception. "Stick" is an English translation of the word tsue, which in turn, is the Japanese translation of the "wand." It seems likely that "stick" was the word of choice where magical girls were concerned because "stick" sounds similar to suteki, a Japanese adjective describing things that are "wonderful," "beautiful," "dreamy," etc. So "stick" may sound rather magical to a Japanese speaker, but in English the word is a little mundane, so the translators opted to use "wand" in this edition."
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
"In the Japanese edition, the name of this magical item is the English word "Moon Stick". "Stick" was the en-vogue word for magic wands in Japanese magical girl anime back in the 1980s and '90s, and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon is no exception. "Stick" is an English translation of the word tsue, which in turn, is the Japanese translation of the "wand." It seems likely that "stick" was the word of choice where magical girls were concerned because "stick" sounds similar to suteki, a Japanese adjective describing things that are "wonderful," "beautiful," "dreamy," etc. So "stick" may sound rather magical to a Japanese speaker, but in English the word is a little mundane, so the translators opted to use "wand" in this edition."

It's still a name change. There's no real question it's supposed to be "Moon Stick". If it was originally called tsukibo or similar in Japanese then there could be an argument, but stuff like that is really just a case of companies wanting to change things. I don't see it as any different Mixx's old changes.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
1dbad wrote:

It's still a name change. There's no real question it's supposed to be "Moon Stick". If it was originally called tsukibo or similar in Japanese then there could be an argument, but stuff like that is really just a case of companies wanting to change things. I don't see it as any different Mixx's old changes.

If the English word "Stick" sounds romantic to the ears of Japanese girls than, in order to re-create the same feel for English girls, the word must be given a warmer equivalent.

3 seconds of Googling shows that, indeed, 'tsue' is used both for wand and stick. To Japanese, there is no difference so it is assumed that the same would be for English. But it's not. 'Stick' has a hard, perhaps dumb, maybe even wicked, feel to it. "Wand' makes you think of warm magic and, especially a pink one in a girly comic, sparkles, glowing light & feminine power.

It's comparing 'Mudblood' from Harry Potter to 'Peck' from Willow: Mudblood, as is, is a terrible slur because it doesn't have a harshness or weight to it ( Rowling used so much of other languages, I'm actually shocked she stuck to English for this); Peck, on the other hand, the second that it is said has the weight, the insulting cruelty built into the word itself.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
They changed it to Moon Wand? Nope. Not going to buy it now. Keep the Japanese names the same, engrish and all. Otherwise, they might as well just go with the dubbed names to keep the original, US flavor.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
If the English word "Stick" sounds romantic to the ears of Japanese girls than, in order to re-create the same feel for English girls, the word must be given a warmer equivalent.

Very well put. The job of a translator is to go beyond words and try to recapture the essence and intended effect of the original text. Sadly, not enough people seem to understand this.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to this edition. Gifts for sure
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1